Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Maalot-Tarshicha
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:40 am
Rappel wrote:
Let's make some terminology order:

Jerusalem is called Jerusalem.

Tel Aviv and the conglomerate of cities around it are called the Merkaz.

The North is the Galil, and up.

---

The merkaz and Jerusalem both have excellent services, and usually have people in every office that speak English, and that have dealt with olim before.

----
So what schools and organisations do we know of that the OP can use? Once she finds schools, I think we can help Kiwi track down a nearby residence within her budget.

North = Haifa and up. The Galil and also the Golan on the other side...

Mercaz and Jerusalem are both very expensive to live. COL is less in the North. Provided the Olim can find jobs there. There's plenty of high-tech in the Haifa area.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:22 am
If you live in Haifa, you'll likely still end up sending your kids to Rechasim, but it's a much shorter ride.

And you'll be close to 3 major hospitals.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:30 am
OP I am trying to say this only for your best. Please have a home to go to when you land. You will need a few days to settle down, walk around, enjoy the heat, and then you can rent a car and travel up north to Haifa, Maalot, wherever you want. Have your home ready with some furniture, table chairs, beds, AC in each room, food in the fridge. That's what you really need to focus on now. You have the summer to decide where you will be living but please make it easier for your children (I assume they are not infants as you wrote the child can travel ) to have a place . One step at a time.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:49 am
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
OP I am trying to say this only for your best. Please have a home to go to when you land. You will need a few days to settle down, walk around, enjoy the heat, and then you can rent a car and travel up north to Haifa, Maalot, wherever you want. Have your home ready with some furniture, table chairs, beds, AC in each room, food in the fridge. That's what you really need to focus on now. You have the summer to decide where you will be living but please make it easier for your children (I assume they are not infants as you wrote the child can travel ) to have a place . One step at a time.

An Airbnb might work for this purpose. A long term Airbnb obviously. Something with little commitment so OP can move when she finds her place.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:50 am

A/C in each room may be hard to come by, but it definitely will be helpful. I've seen new Olim kids and the heat is hard for them. My (born in Israel) kids don't need A/C in their room, but they really don't suffer because they are used to it. They have fans obviously.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:11 am

Isn’t this literally what this thread is for? 🙃 what am I missing??

I’m working on finding a home. That’s legit the whole point of my questions.

Alternative

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:21 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
Oh for sure. She shouldn't go anywhere until she knows that there are suitable schools for the kids.

I don't know how OP identifies, but Rechasim really has the best special ed in the North if she's Charedi.

I wouldn't live in Rechasim though. I hear it's extremely charedi and intolerant of those who are not. It's never good to move somewhere too homogenous, especially if you are a new oleh who doesn't quite yet know what category you fit into.

I know families in Rechasim whose kids are no longer charedi and they feel extremely uncomfortable there.

Find a place that allows you and your children breathing room to change.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:28 am
Alternative wrote:
I wouldn't live in Rechasim though. I hear it's extremely charedi and intolerant of those who are not. It's never good to move somewhere too homogenous, especially if you are a new oleh who doesn't quite yet know what category you fit into.

I know families in Rechasim whose kids are no longer charedi and they feel extremely uncomfortable there.

Yeah, we’re planning to send TO Rechasim (if we move to the vicinity), not live IN Rechasim.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:36 am
You haven’t answered how good your Hebrew is - I think that should be a MAJOR consideration.
Haifa is a big city with one of the best hospitals in the country, but it is very very secular and not many people English speaking Olim.
Are the Rechasim schools experienced with olim? Do they have English speaking staff?
What is drawing you davka to the north?
As was suggested there are affordable not super chareidi communities that will probably offer you as easier landing.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:37 am
Alternative wrote:

Really not true. I lived there. I met so many wonderful people. My husband wasn't in Kollel either. I don't live there anymore but I wouldn't generalize. It's davka a lot more chilled out than plenty of other Charedi places.

Now I personally don't want to raise my kids in any fully (or almost fully. Rechasim isn't 100% Charedi. The area I lived had the remains of the non-Charedim) Charedi city. But don't say bad about Rechasim. It isn't true.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:42 am
I describe my Hebrew as “rusty fluent.” I can read, write, speak, and understand… but it isn’t graceful. 🤪

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:44 am
From my experience as someone who grew up (and loves and currently lives in the north) and has a brother with high functioning ASD:
The north vs. jlem or mercaz area would be comparable of the difference in services from NYC and a hick town in rural alaska. ESPECIALLY if you care about dati/charedi schools ( if you don't mind secular haifa has some good options.

Try calling Chaim Vchessed. They have a good handle on special needs schools in Jerusalem area.
They may not want to help you because they really deal with Americans already living in Israel, but try to get them to help you anyways.

There are yishuvim that are travelable to jerusalem that are affordable. Tel tzion has this 2 bedroom apartment for 2600 nis a month and its 80 meters https://www.yad2.co.il/realest.....3779. Just an example;

What kind of community are you looking for?
Do you have jobs in Haifa that are pulling you there?
Do you have a reason you want to stick with the rechasim schools?
If you do I really recommend Karmiel over Maalot - there is an infrastructure of people who travel back and forth.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:05 am
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
From my experience as someone who grew up (and loves and currently lives in the north) and has a brother with high functioning ASD:
The north vs. jlem or mercaz area would be comparable of the difference in services from NYC and a hick town in rural alaska. ESPECIALLY if you care about dati/charedi schools ( if you don't mind secular haifa has some good options.

Try calling Chaim Vchessed. They have a good handle on special needs schools in Jerusalem area.
They may not want to help you because they really deal with Americans already living in Israel, but try to get them to help you anyways.

There are yishuvim that are travelable to jerusalem that are affordable. Tel tzion has this 2 bedroom apartment for 2600 nis a month and its 80 meters https://www.yad2.co.il/realest.....3779. Just an example;

What kind of community are you looking for?
Do you have jobs in Haifa that are pulling you there?
Do you have a reason you want to stick with the rechasim schools?
If you do I really recommend Karmiel over Maalot - there is an infrastructure of people who travel back and forth.

I'm curious where you live amother stone. I live in Karmiel. I love it here. If you are set on North OP, I really recommend Karmiel. What is appealing about Maalot? Haifa was nice. But most of the English speaking community there is DL. I was friends with plenty of Israelis, but it will be easier for your kids with English speaking friends.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:15 am
Sorry OP. The reason I wrote about finding a home for a bit before you look up north is because I thought you were thinking of going straight up north to settle down. I didn't know you were going first to the center, and then you can figure out schooling. Hatzlocha to you all, and a healthy happy move to Israel!

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:38 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
I'm curious where you live amother stone. I live in Karmiel. I love it here. If you are set on North OP, I really recommend Karmiel. What is appealing about Maalot? Haifa was nice. But most of the English speaking community there is DL. I was friends with plenty of Israelis, but it will be easier for your kids with English speaking friends.

I think Karmiel is a great idea. I know a few Americans there and it seems like a more close-knit community.

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:31 pm
I think Karmiel is a wonderful option. Really.
Only if you are satisfied with the schooling options in Rechasim. Just understand that the charedi/dati special education options are much more limited.
Especially when it comes to older grades.

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:46 pm
Making Aliyah directly to the north is MUCH more challenging than the already challenging Aliyah. There are significantly less resources for olim, a lot fewer "American" amenities, (let alone religious amenities in general), and a lot less English. That being said if your heart is set on the North, Karmiel is probably your softest landing spot. It probably has the most American Olim in the area (aside from Tsfat maybe), and the most "real city" infrastructure. You will probably receive the most support available there.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:06 pm
I'd definitely pick Karmiel from the places you named.

Haifa may have the resources you need too, but it's a city. Karmiel is lovely.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:33 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I describe my Hebrew as “rusty fluent.” I can read, write, speak, and understand… but it isn’t graceful. 🤪

That’s great! Good luck with all these decisions - we look forward to having you here with us.

Aylat

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:46 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
One month from today. That’s our Aliyah date. ONE MONTH FROM TODAY. And I still have no plan.

Sorry I don't have any of the info you need, just wanted to respond to this.

We made aliyah with a plan, thinking we knew exactly where we were going. 2 weeks after arriving we realised we were completely mistaken and the place we had always set our hearts on living wasn't going to work out.
We ended up living in our 'temporary' town for 3 years and were never entirely happy there. BH have now been living in perfect-for-us location for 7 years.

Not gonna lie, the first year was a nightmare. The transition was hard. I thought I'd ruined my kids lives and we should return to chul. But things work out. You'll make them work out. You'll find help and support in unexpected places. Not saying not to plan - you're doing great at that, all the right things. But when all the plans seem to be dissolving into mist or blowing up in your faces, take a deep breath. It'll be OK.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions