Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
10 year old having an MRI
Previous  1  2

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:12 am
I had one as an adult and had medication to relax me.
I recommend you ask the doctor for something that will relax your child.
Also, if you can’t do open mri, ask for x-large table - that way is more spacious.

invisiblecircus

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:38 am
My 10 year old DD had an MRI of the head 2 weeks ago. It was without contrast in a closed machine without sedation.

The neurologist knew which hospitals had a machine which took the images more quickly so we chose one of those hospitals.

My DD is very relaxed and unphased by things in general but I prepared her by describing what it would be like, and showed her a video of someone having an MRI. I explained that she would have to lie still on a flat table and she would hear lots of loud clicking noises but that she'd be wearing ear protectors and she wouldn't feel anything.

I wasn't allowed to go in with her but it was fine.

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:42 am
Wow.
Everyone had such different experiences.
My 9 year old recently had an mri with contrast and he was totally fine without sedation and he was allowed a parent to be there with him.

He got headphones and chose a movie to watch.
It took 20 minutes total.

Good luck.
They will be just fine.

mom of 8

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:50 pm
My experience was more like what candy cane mentioned. My daughter was able to watch a video on goggles. And I was able to stay in. It took about an HR. The room was freezing...my daughter was nervous. I called chai Life to speak to someone about how to help her. They suggested to show her online what the mri would entail. They suggested dc McStuffins MRI clip. And when we got to the hospital the child care worker showed us a clip on it also. This was in Columbia

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 3:09 pm
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
Wow.
Everyone had such different experiences.
My 9 year old recently had an mri with contrast and he was totally fine without sedation and he was allowed a parent to be there with him.

He got headphones and chose a movie to watch.
It took 40 minutes total.

Good luck.
They will be just fine.

I should also add that it was done in a children's outpatient clinic. They were very child friendly too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics