Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Fridge drips in warmer weather

Goldie613

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:18 am
Has anyone else had this?

It's only an issue in the warmer (summer) months, and only for the past 4 years or so (the fridge is about 10 years old). It doesn't hold as cold in the summer months, and at the back of the fridge, under the freezer, water drips down inside the fridge. Both the temperature issue and the dripping are only warm weather things. It just strikes me as odd because the freezer isn't the kind where ice builds up and needs defrosting, so why would it be doing this?

Has anyone had this before?

Thanks!

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:54 am
I recently had a clogged defrost line that caused a puddle to form on the floor in front of my fridge. I called a repair guy to unblock it.

OP, where do you live?

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:26 am
I had a leaky fridge. A repairman made me empty everything from the freezer. He said there was an ice buildup in a pipe- not visible. He used some type of machine that blew heat and melted the ice. Problem was solved.

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:30 am
My fridge has been leaking ever since I got it.
I think it's because we had removed some of the. Foam.
Any ideas how to fix?

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:36 am
We started having issues with a dripping water cooler lately. I can relate, it’s really annoying!

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:11 pm
Common problem, though IDK why it happens to you only in warm weather. The drain pipe that carries condensation away from the freezer compartment gets clogged or freezes up and overflows. You can call a repair service, but you may be able to fix it on your own. Google "YouTube fix water dripping inside refrigerator" or something along those lines together with the make and model of your fridge. Make and model are important because the parts you need to remove to make the fix differ. I learned how to fix this myself via YouTube and have done so several times. The thing is that you need to completely unclog the pipe, which can be rather long. The first few times I tried it the problem returned after a while. Eventually I had to empty the fridge and leave it unplugged overnight to be sure that I had melted the ice in the pipe all the way down to the bottom.

Goldie613

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 12:59 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
I had a leaky fridge. A repairman made me empty everything from the freezer. He said there was an ice buildup in a pipe- not visible. He used some type of machine that blew heat and melted the ice. Problem was solved.

Did he have to take any parts off, or did he just aim hot air at a vent? Wondering if maybe I can duplicate that with a hair dryer...

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:46 am
Goldie613 wrote:
Did he have to take any parts off, or did he just aim hot air at a vent? Wondering if maybe I can duplicate that with a hair dryer...

That would depend on the model fridge you have. You may be lucky and the aperture may be easily accessible on the floor of the freezer or even inside the fridge. OTOH you may have to remove the floor and back panel of the freezer. Be VERY VERY CAREFUL not to let the dryer touch anything because you will be melting ice and WATER AND ELECTRICITY DON'T MIX. Make sure the floor you stand on is bone dry, too.

Here's a youtube for one model of fridge that doesn't require any disassembly at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c_LBVnU4ec Maybe you'll be that lucky. Mine is like this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9alqRw0ZA04 which is a royal pain but doable. Google your own model fridge for instructions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen