Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Are 18 month old babies supposed to be eating by themselves?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:40 am
themselves?
I still spoon feed and ppl are telling me she is delayed. I can’t even imagine just putting a sandwich or yogurt down and having her eat by herself!!

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:42 am
Babies are capable of feeding themselves at young ages, mine were eating finger foods alone since 6 months. If you don't give her opportunities she'll never learn. Why is she only eating mushy food? She should definitely be able to feed herself finger food. Kids are usually learning to handle spoons alone too at this age.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:43 am
Is she not doing it because you haven't provided the opportunity or not doing it because she can't?

I was very bad about allowing my first baby to feed himself simply because I didn't want the mess. Then doctor told me I was setting him up for a lifetime of picky eating and I started just giving him the food. Sure, plenty went on the floor but plenty made it into his mouth too.

Make sure you're giving your baby the chance to try. Only then can you know if there is an issue or not.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:44 am
A yoghurt might be a bit challenging at this age, but finger food should be fine. Try breaking the sandwich into bite sized pieces and putting them in front of her and see what happens. Be prepared for some mess. Its inevitable, and not too serious.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:46 am
Sounds like an inertia problem. Just make a change. Six months old can feed themselves. My 16 month old can operate a spoon, even for cereal and milk.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:58 am
I remember babysitting a child whose mother tried giving him a sippy cup, then took it away again because he didn't know what to do with it. She stuck it in the toy box. Over the next few weeks, I would take it out of the toy box, half fill it with water, and teach him to drink from it like he had been doing with a bottle. After he got used to it, I would leave it near him when he was playing, and he would crawl over and take a drink whenever he wanted.

The mother was amazed when a few weeks later he showed himself perfectly capable of using the cup, but all he needed was to have the opportunity to learn. Give your daughter a chance, and she might surprise you.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:04 am
Elfrida wrote:
I remember babysitting a child whose mother tried giving him a sippy cup, then took it away again because he didn't know what to do with it. She stuck it in the toy box. Over the next few weeks, I would take it out of the toy box, half fill it with water, and teach him to drink from it like he had been doing with a bottle. After he got used to it, I would leave it near him when he was playing, and he would crawl over and take a drink whenever he wanted.

The mother was amazed when a few weeks later he showed himself perfectly capable of using the cup, but all he needed was to have the opportunity to learn. Give your daughter a chance, and she might surprise you.

And six month olds can learn to drink from open cups. It's even easier, and better for mouth development. Sometimes parents don't believe it because it's not traditional. Sippy cups are for parental convenience. I assume this parent was using only bottles!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:07 am
My kids drink water from a cup at age 5 months
I give them a spoon and bowl at 12 months. They eat by themselves at that age. It’s great for fine motor.

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:12 am
I have twins who are 17 months, and a little delayed. However, they have been feeding themselves for a while!! I give them a plate with suction, put different foods on the plate and they eat so nicely! Yes we need to clean the floor afterward, but they’re growing so nicely, and while they’re not that great with their spoons/ forks, they’re getting better each day!! Examples of what I give them, pieces of fish sticks, strips of pizza, sandwiches, cubes of avocados, strips of peppers, corn, cubes of cooked carrots, pieces of Shnitzel, rice, cubes of cooked potatoes, sweet potatoes. Etc etc etc!! They feed themselves leben with a straw, pouches, but we do feed them yoghurt… good luck!!!

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:28 am
Yes, have you ever tried? If not, please give your child the opportunity to learn these skills. I totally get that sometimes we don't know what our kids are capable of so don't realise we should be trying with certain stuff, but a typical toddler is usually more than ready at this age.

Mine doesn't always do it perfectly, and sometimes I grab another spoon alongside to help along (especially if we're on a schedule), but they should at least be feeding themselves some of their meal.

Phoebe31

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:42 am
I was like this with my first, had a hard time letting her feed herself and she had to learn catch up once I realized I was holding her back. Now with my second, she is 6 months old and feeds herself! I do preload spoons for foods like yogurt, applesauce, etc only because she can't yet fill a spoon by herself.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:48 am
Okay, my daughter would happily feed herself with a spoon, given the opportunity, but it never works when there is a plate or bowl on her tray because she turns it over happily and tosses it over the side. Funny but never occurred to me to buy suction bowls/plates, thanks to the poster above who referenced that!

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 12:44 pm
My 17 mo old eats everything by herself

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:02 pm
amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:
Okay, my daughter would happily feed herself with a spoon, given the opportunity, but it never works when there is a plate or bowl on her tray because she turns it over happily and tosses it over the side. Funny but never occurred to me to buy suction bowls/plates, thanks to the poster above who referenced that!

My baby just gets too busy playing with the suction plate so I put the food directly on the tray

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:04 pm
amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:

The suction bowls were a fail for us Laugh determined toddler beats suction any day of the week!
Anyways op yes my 18 month old can eat pretty much anything with her hands and is getting better at using a spoon.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:05 pm
My 15 month old eats everything herself. She once took her sisters yogurt and figured out how to stick her fingers in and lick the yogurt off. I never spoon feed her. She wants to feed herself.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:09 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
My baby just gets too busy playing with the suction plate so I put the food directly on the tray

I think it's harder to use a spoon to eat food off the tray than from a plate but maybe that doesn't make sense? I just think if the food is on the tray she will eat with her hands as usual.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:11 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
The suction bowls were a fail for us Laugh determined toddler beats suction any day of the week!
Anyways op yes my 18 month old can eat pretty much anything with her hands and is getting better at using a spoon.

LOL, I can see this happening here as well. My baby is a bit younger though, 14 months. Definitely proficient at eating anything with her hands Smile I'm just trying to brainstorm on how to encourage her to eat with a spoon, just because I think it's cute and also functional.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:23 pm
Should baby led weaning be standard?

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:24 pm
My 17 month old eats everything by herself except for things that need to be eaten with a spoon.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics