Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Can someone explain AC split units? also aprox cost ?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 3:05 pm
Planning to do some renovation in garage to add office & guest room bedroom. since both will be used very different times considering use of split units to give each room own settings and to save costs as bedroom not used much

how do split units work exactly, do walls need to be opened/broken up to install?
are they actually cheaper? what's normal price to buy/use?
can I buy online and install DIY or is it very difficult?

Thanks!

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:22 pm
A split unit consists of one or more indoor unit connected to one outdoor unit. They drill a small hole in the wall behind the indoor unit to connect it to the ouside one. Then each indoor unit can be used independently. The installation doesnt require opening up walls which makes them cheaper to installl than central air. The indoor unit is very quiet and they are really efficient.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:28 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
A split unit consists of one or more indoor unit connected to one outdoor unit. They drill a small hole in the wall behind the indoor unit to connect it to the ouside one. Then each indoor unit can be used independently. The installation doesnt require opening up walls which makes them cheaper to installl than central air. The indoor unit is very quiet and they are really efficient.

The price is about $3,000-$4,000 per unit. But it does save electricity costs.

jewishmommy1

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:06 pm
Following- OP, I hope you don't mind if I add a question...
Do these units also provide heat for the winter or is that a separate system/cost?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:54 pm
Those units do have a heater setting. It works great as a supplemental heater and quickly warms up a room. But it does not work well as the only source of heat. The heat it provides is very dry and since it is usually installed at the top of the wall, it leaves your floor freezing cold.

otstud

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:11 pm
They aren't diy as they need an electrician to put in a dedicated line and outdoor switch, and can have complicated wiring and air pressure testing that hvac guys are used to, but not most others.

SYA

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:58 pm
In NYS there was a govt grant covering a portion. Not sure if it’s still on and for how much at this point.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 3:11 am
Split units are great if you don't mind the look. I love that each room can have a different temperature setting.

It's been a few years so I don't remember the cost but I do know that it varies by the size of the unit you need which depends on the room size.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 5:22 am
It would probably be expensive to use the heat setting.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:11 am
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
Split units are great if you don't mind the look. I love that each room can have a different temperature setting.

It's been a few years so I don't remember the cost but I do know that it varies by the size of the unit you need which depends on the room size.

The look? Confused
I live in israel and AFAIK everyone has or buys split units for home use.
In the past there were these central AC systems which were very expensive to but and expensive to run too.
Our apartment has an old central AC system which caused us a fortune in electrical bills. Two-three years ago we bought new split AC for living room bed room and kitchen. Our electrical bill did drop considerably as the new ACs are much more energy efficient.
"The look" of split ACs isn't and will never be an issue with me.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:26 am
My split units are in the ceiling and we have vents on the ceiling. U need enough space between the floors for that. But if you have it’s definitely worth it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries