Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Unstimulating Lakewood "office job"
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:03 pm
My job title is officially "data analysis" and I should be grateful for the pay and flexibility. However, I am really struggling with the repetitive, banal nature of my job. I am a more intellectual type and crave variety and stimulation. And although I find motherhood my true calling, and I am working only because I need the money, I have a very strong need to use my strengths and have some mental stimulation at work. Any suggestions?

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:13 pm
Why not look for a different job?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My job title is officially "data analysis" and I should be grateful for the pay and flexibility. However, I am really struggling with the repetitive, banal nature of my job. I am a more intellectual type and crave variety and stimulation. And although I find motherhood my true calling, and I am working only because I need the money, I have a very strong need to use my strengths and have some mental stimulation at work. Any suggestions?

What are your strengths?
What jobs have you had that you really loved? What did they have in common?
What jobs did/do you hate? What do they have in common?
That's a good place to start.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:30 pm
Can you find ways to automate the job.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:45 pm
In terms of past jobs, what's worked best is jobs where I'm learning new systems and coming up with ideas for improvement, (and also training others). So a regular office job will get stale for me after around a year because there's not much that's new to learn/innovate at that point.

As far as automating, a lot of the job involves calling companies to ask them to send in various forms, so that can't be automated.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:02 pm
Can the companies be emailed?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:07 pm
Do you work for time? Are you cut out for office work and or HR and tracking of project management?

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:11 pm
There’s definitely something between data work and what you find enjoyable. I vote look for something more up your alley

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:06 pm
I left a Lakewood job like you described and I’m much happier at my new job.

Can you learn an intellectual skill like accounting or coding and get a job like that?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:59 pm
I wouldn't consider accounting intellectual...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:05 pm
I guess what I'm envisioning is something along the lines of, research a topic, problem solve based on that, perhaps write a document based on that/present, etc. Repeat with a new topic. Not sure which fields would have that kind of need. Possibly someone dealing with a lot of changing government regulations?

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I guess what I'm envisioning is something along the lines of, research a topic, problem solve based on that, perhaps write a document based on that/present, etc. Repeat with a new topic. Not sure which fields would have that kind of need. Possibly someone dealing with a lot of changing government regulations?

Accountants do that Wink

jd1212

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:16 pm
That’s consulting in a nutshell

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:19 pm
Another interesting field would be law… but that’s a hassle to get a degree.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:27 pm
Interesting... do you think paralegal would be good for me, or are they basically just secretaries?

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:28 pm
Grant writing? (Disclaimer, all I know about grant writing is what I hear through the grapevine).

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting... do you think paralegal would be good for me, or are they basically just secretaries?

Paralegal or even real estate secretary may be more interesting because each sale and each client is different.
Lawyer is a lot more intellectually stimulating though.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

A close relative was a paralegal for many years and she says she would never do it again. She said the lawyers dumped all the work on her, paid her peanuts, and took all the credit for her work. :-(

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

research it....

kb

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:51 pm
If you'd be interested in a job as a real estate office manager, please pm me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics