Home

Shelled out my bathroom by mistake
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Finances


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Lightgreen
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:43 pm
My dh dies rehabs and buys stuff wholesale and it’s crazy cheap - even with ceramic tiles.
I’d assume the guy still has the tub, toilet and even vanity to put back. Some of the biggest expenses.
Laborers can typically put in a beautiful bathroom from scratch.
Back to top

amother




Strawberry
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:03 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
This isn’t how it is generally applied because you can’t find used sinks or toilets. You are entitled to a functioning bathroom.

It means that it is replaced with equivalent quality so if it is ceramic tile you don’t get marble.

Also the reality is that the cost of remodeling a bathroom is mostly labor as you need skilled labor for plumbing and electrical work. You can get relatively inexpensive vanities, toilets and bathtubs especially if you are doing a bungalow since most people just want functional and not elegant as they would in the primary residence.

Also people should check their insurance policies and make sure you have replacement value for losses. If something happens, you want to be able to get the amount necessary to have a functional kitchen or bathroom. I just renewed and if you have especially nice stuff you should make sure you are insured for that so the insurance company won’t give you inadequate reimbursement to repair to the actual level. For example if you have marble or quartz then you don’t want to be reimbursed for the cost of Formica.


As mentioned earlier - a used sink and toilet are readily available from OP's neighbor.
Back to top

amother




Violet
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:19 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
As mentioned earlier - a used sink and toilet are readily available from OP's neighbor.


Is that fair to OP?
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:53 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
As mentioned earlier - a used sink and toilet are readily available from OP's neighbor.


It is not the cost of the toilet or sink that is expensive - it is the labor that is required to demo it and reinstall it with appropriate pipes. It is not as simple as you seem to think it is.

You can get "builder grade" sinks and toilets combined for under $500. However it will cost multiple of that for the plumber to install these.
Back to top

amother




Strawberry
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:57 pm
Amarante wrote:
It is not the cost of the toilet or sink that is expensive - it is the labor that is required to demo it and reinstall it with appropriate pipes. It is not as simple as you seem to think it is.

You can get "builder grade" sinks and toilets combined for under $500. However it will cost multiple of that for the plumber to install these.


I don't think there is a magic wand to be waived here.... but assuming none of this is going through insurance - the most cost effective remedy (from the perspective of the neighbor) to bring OP's bathroom back up to to where it was before it was demolished - is to use all available free parts.
Back to top

amother




Strawberry
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:58 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Is that fair to OP?


if the neighbors stuff was in about the same condition as her stuff was.
Back to top

amother




Violet
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:00 pm
OP, did you hear back from your Rov yet?
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:00 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
I don't think there is a magic wand to be waived here.... but assuming none of this is going through insurance - the most cost effective remedy (from the perspective of the neighbor) to bring OP's bathroom back up to to where it was before it was demolished - is to use all available free parts.


And I am pointing out that using two items doesn't really save money especially since the items might be damaged when being removed.

Also the toilet might not be up to current Code so you would not legally be able to install it.

OP has not been back to my knowledge so much information is lacking.

The old bathroom might be nonfunctional with very old and not very reliable stuff and OP's bathroom in relatively better shape.

These are bungalows so one assume no is renovating solely for cosmetic purposes.
Back to top

amother




Strawberry
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:04 pm
Amarante wrote:
And I am pointing out that using two items doesn't really save money especially since the items might be damaged when being removed.

Also the toilet might not be up to current Code so you would not legally be able to install it.

OP has not been back to my knowledge so much information is lacking.

The old bathroom might be nonfunctional with very old and not very reliable stuff and OP's bathroom in relatively better shape.

These are bungalows so one assume no is renovating solely for cosmetic purposes.


All true....
Back to top

amother




Mulberry
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:13 pm
Amarante wrote:
It is not the cost of the toilet or sink that is expensive - it is the labor that is required to demo it and reinstall it with appropriate pipes. It is not as simple as you seem to think it is.

You can get "builder grade" sinks and toilets combined for under $500. However it will cost multiple of that for the plumber to install these.
Yes my husband does installation and it’s really expensive. And often things break while removing them. Definitely when it comes to the tile and Sheetrock. Who reuses that stuff. It’s not meant to be moved. And the pipes like you said. And the shower. You can’t just transplant an old bathroom from one house to another.
Back to top

iluvy




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:17 pm
I don't understand where the neighbor comes in here? Assuming she told the worker the correct address and he carelessly went into the wrong one. How is she more culpable than if a random contractor or vandal entered the premises and destroyed op's bathroom?

The worker is definitely liable here. It shouldn't cost him much $ to replace op's bathroom but will cost time. Hopefully he will do it and not just melt away. He is almost definitely not licensed/insured so you have to hope he has integrity. (Some of them do.) He should do op's work before the neighbor's.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:18 pm
amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:
Yes my husband does installation and it’s really expensive. And often things break while removing them. Definitely when it comes to the tile and Sheetrock. Who reuses that stuff. It’s not meant to be moved. And the pipes like you said. And the shower. You can’t just transplant an old bathroom from one house to another.


People have no clue regarding how expensive construction and remodeling is and a bathroom is the most expensive room in a house in terms of cost per square foot. I remodeled relatively recently and the cost is staggering - and it ISN'T the cost of fixtures that is responsible for most of it although since it was my master bath I did splurge on quality stuff.

You need skilled labor in terms of plumbing and electricity because you don't want to have substandard plumbing and electricity - you need to use licensed plumbers and electricians.

In order to avoid mold and structural damage you don't use ordinary sheet rock around the tub or shower - it has to be special waterproofed stuff AND you need some kind of additional waterproofing system - again expensive and requires skilled labor.

OP said that the bathroom was demoed which means everything is gone. Until you start replacing toilet paper holders, and towel bars/hooks and flooring - every single thing adds up.
Back to top

amother




Navyblue
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:22 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Interesting information. What is to stop an unethical frum contractor from doing repairs/work without a contract or being asked and then forcing the homeowner to pay? Meaning- this is their mode of getting work: do lots of work and then forcing the owner to pay?


Didn’t read through, but I had the same question last night when I read the story. I think it boils down to you can actually get arrested for trespassing or breaking and entering etc. and working on someone’s property. If you hired him and he gave him permission to enter and he does extra work then as long as you have a contract you would probably be in the right…
Back to top

NotLazySusan




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:50 pm
I’m curious if it was just 1 guy working by himself. Often, there are 2 or 3 working together. If it was more than 1, it’s even more difficult to understand how neither guy realized it was the wrong place.
Back to top

amother




Lightgreen
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 11:05 pm
Ppl don’t call plumbers to bungalows fo these jobs.
As I said earlier we just rehabbed bathrooms. Down to studs and rearranged layout. It’s not close to as expensive as ppl think. Reg employees can do the job no problem.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:14 am
Op here... whoa what a response.... I didn't read the entire thread, wanted to update. My neighbor is really nice, bh. His worker will finish my bathroom first, and then do his. About the money? We didn't talk to a rov yet, we're working on it together
Back to top

seeker




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:19 am
Can I just say it's so wonderful for once to have a thread about neighbors working things out peacefully with each other. Still curious to hear what the psak will be and happy for you that you're dealing with a mentsch and your bathroom will get fixed.
Back to top

amother




Lightgreen
 

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here... whoa what a response.... I didn't read the entire thread, wanted to update. My neighbor is really nice, bh. His worker will finish my bathroom first, and then do his. About the money? We didn't talk to a rov yet, we're working on it together


Very impressed.
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:44 am
seeker wrote:
Can I just say it's so wonderful for once to have a thread about neighbors working things out peacefully with each other. Still curious to hear what the psak will be and happy for you that you're dealing with a mentsch and your bathroom will get fixed.

So well said. My neighbor damaged my property outside and a tiny bit inside. All I got was "I'm sorry." I responded that I paid alot of money (a few thousand) to get this place to look the way it does I'm really upset. "I'm also really upset" was all I got. So op, please thank hashem a million times over that you're dealing with people who have some moral character because many don't.
Back to top

WitchKitty




 
 
 
 

Post Yesterday at 2:23 pm
So what did the rav say?
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 5 of 6 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Finances

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Weighing more after using bathroom
by amother
20 Sun, Jun 26 2022, 7:06 pm View last post
Window shade for bathroom window
by amother
2 Thu, May 26 2022, 1:54 pm View last post
Bathroom exhaust fans -- how to use them right?
by amother
1 Fri, Mar 04 2022, 2:45 pm View last post
What grab bar do you recommend for bathroom?
by amother
13 Sat, Feb 26 2022, 9:22 pm View last post
Bathroom tiles
by amother
1 Mon, Feb 14 2022, 10:16 pm View last post