Home

Vaccine newborn at the hospital?
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:56 am
I’m the Bubby and usually stay home with the other kids while mommy goes to the hospital
The mommy had to be in the hospital over Shabbos, so I stayed with her.
They offered Hep B vaccine
I never heard of giving vaccine before 1 month
And why on earth does a baby need a vaccine for an STD

And a second question
How do new mommies know
Which vaccines are necessary and which they can decline
Back to top

oneofakind




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:01 am
You're right. It makes no sense. She can decline whatever she wants. It's only required for school unless you have an exemption ( depending on your state and school). She can go online and talk to people she trusts about the vitamin k injection and eye drops and how her hospital handles that.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:09 am
oneofakind wrote:
You're right. It makes no sense. She can decline whatever she wants. It's only required for school unless you have an exemption ( depending on your state and school). She can go online and talk to people she trusts about the vitamin k injection and eye drops and how her hospital handles that.


How is a mom able to make an informed decision.
Everyone says do your research
But that’s very hard since you have info on both sides

Which vaccines are the most important
Which ones are really needed for school in NY.
And, why do babies need a vaccine for STD

Don’t say speak to your pediatrician, because I think by law they must push the vaccines or they lose their license

When my kids were babies the first vaccine was at 1 month old. And all health care providers said baby was protected from the mom’s immunology until then. More so if breast fed.
Back to top

oneofakind




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:13 am
Immunization requirements for school are listed online.
Some things are common sense like deciding on vaccines for STDS or diseases that are mild in children.
Back to top

amother




Strawberry
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:15 am
Look up Candace Owens "a shot in the dark"
Back to top

SYA




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:18 am
I never gave hep vaccine in the hospital.
My Dr doesn’t give it till 2 months but it’s not important for a baby so it can be postponed to one of the last.
Back to top

NotInNJMommy




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:27 am
There are plenty of vaccines given before 1 month.

Hep B is always* offered in the US in hospitals before discharge. (*at least for the last 17 years)

I personally always wait until the first well visit with the pediatrician. Usually a week or so later, to start vaccines. But, bh I know I have a pediatrician's office I work with and I know I can get there. For folks who may not have a reliable relationship with a pediatrician or reliable transportation, the risk/benefit tradeoff may be different to be starting Hep B right away while already at the hospital.
Back to top

amother




Mimosa
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:51 am
They offer at birth to protect babies who may have been exposed in the birth canal. That's why I always decline. I give it later at the pediatrician.
Back to top

amother




Gardenia
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:52 am
Just be aware that declining doesn’t mean they won’t do it anyway….
Back to top

amother




Wheat
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:53 am
Pediatricians don't lose their license for not pushing vaccines. My pediatrician is a great guide who gives me lots of real information so I can make informed decisions. I would strongly recommend going that route instead of trying to navigate it yourself.
Back to top

amother




Arcticblue
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:57 am
Unfortunately, (or fortunately) the days of "Listen to your Doctor" are over. Since much of what they say cannot be trusted anymore, as we've seen in recent years. People don't just follow the protocol anymore; they want to understand it and it should make sense to them. But when $$$ and corruption is a huge factor in creating protocol, you only have yourself to rely on. It's sad, but true. A new mother needs to read up on info on both sides of the issue and come to a decision that sits right by her. She assumes the risks of any medical decision made. No longer can you just take comfort in the "I did what my doctor told me to do." because many of us already know that doctors say what they need to say and not necessarily what's good for the patient individually. (There are some such doctors but finding them is like looking for a needle in a haystack.) Good luck!
Back to top

amother




Milk
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:58 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Pediatricians don't lose their license for not pushing vaccines. My pediatrician is a great guide who gives me lots of real information so I can make informed decisions. I would strongly recommend going that route instead of trying to navigate it yourself.


100% correct. But there is still a lot of pressure. We were dropped from a pediatric practice because we wished to delay (delay, not skip) vaccines. They told us they were advised by lawyers that not following APA guidelines for vaccination puts them at legal risk. Also potential billing issues with insurance. But B"H there are still plenty of pediatricians around who put the families first.
Back to top

amother




Wheat
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:01 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
100% correct. But there is still a lot of pressure. We were dropped from a pediatric practice because we wished to delay (delay, not skip) vaccines. They told us they were advised by lawyers that not following APA guidelines for vaccination puts them at legal risk. Also potential billing issues with insurance. But B"H there are still plenty of pediatricians around who put the families first.


I don't think those pediatricians are really a needle in the haystack, as a different poster put it. They're out there. They're not quacks, they just acknowledge the risks and benefits to each child instead of repeating policies.
Back to top

amother




Arcticblue
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:04 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I don't think those pediatricians are really a needle in the haystack, as a different poster put it. They're out there. They're not quacks, they just acknowledge the risks and benefits to each child instead of repeating policies.

Depends on where you live...
Back to top

amother




Whitewash
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:04 am
It is offered because some mothers are Hep B positive and birth and nursing can transmit the infection to the baby. Hep B is often asymptomatic so these moms wouldn't necessarily know.

That's why it's offered in the hospital.

If mom is Hep B negative then there's no reason to give it so young.

But if you will be sending to childcare then you should give it anyways because it transfers by means of saliva as well and childcare is very unhygienic, from babies sharing pacis to not all providers washing their hands perfectly after every diaper change, etc.
Back to top

amother




Arcticblue
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:06 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
100% correct. But there is still a lot of pressure. We were dropped from a pediatric practice because we wished to delay (delay, not skip) vaccines. They told us they were advised by lawyers that not following APA guidelines for vaccination puts them at legal risk. Also potential billing issues with insurance. But B"H there are still plenty of pediatricians around who put the families first.

Exactly. The pressure makes some doctors do or say stuff that aren't good for the individual. In your case, you were just dropped from the practice. Other doctors resort to other methods...

Also was your decision to delay vaccines made in conjunction with this very doctor?
Back to top

amother




Milk
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:15 am
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Exactly. The pressure makes some doctors do or say stuff that aren't good for the individual. In your case, you were just dropped from the practice. Other doctors resort to other methods...

Also was your decision to delay vaccines made in conjunction with this very doctor?


Nope.
Back to top

amother




Milk
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:18 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
It is offered because some mothers are Hep B positive and birth and nursing can transmit the infection to the baby. Hep B is often asymptomatic so these moms wouldn't necessarily know.

That's why it's offered in the hospital.

If mom is Hep B negative then there's no reason to give it so young.

But if you will be sending to childcare then you should give it anyways because it transfers by means of saliva as well and childcare is very unhygienic, from babies sharing pacis to not all providers washing their hands perfectly after every diaper change, etc.


Seems like it would be a lot easier and more sensible to run a blood test on the mother rather than just willy nilly vax every baby for something that is largely unnecessary.
Back to top

amother




Arcticblue
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:21 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
Nope.

Right, so that was my point for OP. Most doctors will not advise you to do different than protocol. If you decide on your own to do different than mainstream protocol, you still need your docotor's approval. Some doctors might be open to it and "allow" you to deviate from mainstream medical advice. Others, like your previous one, will drop you from the practice or use other manipulative tactics to get you to comply. So then you need to find a doctor who will be ok with what you already decided that you want to do, which is difficult but not a needle in the haystack difficult.

Very rarely will you find a doctor who will actively ADVISE you to delay or skip vaccines. Which is what OP asked about.
Back to top

miami85




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:23 am
I'm not anti-vaccine, I did my research before my first was born and found out that the main contraindications for the Hep B at birth was "breathing complications" which is something one doesn't know until the baby is born, but you are often asked to sign consent before baby is born. It is done in the hospital for babies at higher risk for not getting that first doctor's appointment, but since they can't discriminate they offer it to everyone, but it's a parent's right to dissent. I do and I wait until the first doctor's appointment, most of my pediatricians are like "whatever" and consider it safe regardless--and mostly it is, but I opt to exercise my right to consent.
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 5 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Chossidmom's Spam Thread of Covid Vaccine Info - welcome 250 Today at 5:40 pm View last post
Polio Vaccine for the Unvaccinated
by amother
62 Today at 2:33 pm View last post
[ Poll ] The newborn stage
by amother
24 Today at 1:21 pm View last post
Where to buy for newborn Upstate
by amother
9 Today at 12:44 pm View last post
Newborn Photographer Monsey
by amother
6 Thu, Aug 04 2022, 12:19 pm View last post