Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Vaccine newborn at the hospital?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:00 am
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
I think the poster you quoted was referring to eye drops and vitamin k injection. I know for a fact of women whose babies were given these two things even though they requested against them.

She quoted me, and I meant what I said. I know too many women who declined it in the hospital because they wanted to give it later at the pediatrician, and they found out the hospital did it anyway. The same can happen with vitamin k and eye drops, as you have said.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:00 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
Not giving the vitamin K shot is child abuse.

That's not so!! Do ur research!!

A babies body starts clotting at 8 days
Days! (Bris?!?) Problem started when ppl started circumcising in hospital at birth

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:01 am
No, I'm thinking of Hep B. That is what the leaflet they gave us in school said. We were one of the first grades of kids to get the Hep B shot in school. It specifically said that in dorm settings and other close settings Hep B is a risk due to sharing cups, kissing, etc.

I'm sorry but you were lied to.
Here are methods of Hep B transmission:
Quote:
Through vaginal or backside intercourse. As a result of blood-to-blood contact (eg, sharing of needles and other equipment by injecting drug users, or 'needlestick' injuries).
Transfusion-associated infection is now rare in the UK, as blood transfusions and donations are carefully screened. Viral inactivation of blood products has eliminated these as a source of infection in this country.
Vertical transmission (mother to infant) of infection occurs in 90% of pregnancies where the mother is HBeAg-positive and in about 10% of hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg)-positive, HBeAg-negative mothers.
Transmission has also followed bites from infected persons, although this is rare.
In areas of high prevalence, infection is acquired predominantly in childhood - by perinatal transmission or by horizontal transmission among young children.
In low-endemicity countries most infections are acquired in adulthood, where s-xual transmission or sharing of blood-contaminated needles and equipment by injecting drug users accounts for a significant proportion of new infections.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:02 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
That's not so!! Do ur research!!

A babies body starts clotting at 8 days
Days! (Bris?!?) Problem started when ppl started circumcising in hospital at birth

Don't get hysterical. A person who thinks Hep B is transmitted through saliva, is not someone I'd take medical advice from.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:02 am
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
She quoted me, and I meant what I said. I know too many women who declined it in the hospital because they wanted to give it later at the pediatrician, and they found out the hospital did it anyway. The same can happen with vitamin k and eye drops, as you have said.

Right. I declined it, they said np. And my baby got it anyway. I would've never knows as they put it on discharge papers as a different name.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:03 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
I didn't say that it was hard.

But vaccination is one jab and done.

Drawing blood, sending blood to lab, running the test, sending results back to doctor, reading the results... is more work.

So rather we should give babies unneeded vaccines….

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:06 am

Where's the money at? Blood work or mass vaccination?

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:09 am
Where's the money at? Blood work or mass vaccination?

See, THATS really what it comes down to. It’s not about the health of the mother OR the baby, or how much more or less work it will mean for people. It’s all about the money….

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:10 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Funny some might say the opposite. It has a black box warning. It's not just a vitamin.

And your prenatal has a warning not to take it if you are pregnant or nursing without consulting a doctor. And your baby's toy has a warning that it isn't for children under 3 years of age.

Two out of every 100 babies who don't get the vitamin K shot will develop vitamin K deficiency bleeding. One out of every five babies who develops VKDB will die.

So, if you have 300 babies who did not get the shot, six of them will develop VKDB. One of them will die, and possibly a second as well (we don't know which of the five will die - you might have number 1 and 6, or number 5, or number 5 and 6, etc.).

If you have 500 babies who did not get the shot, ten of them will develop VKDB, and two of them will die.

I mean. Sure. Say what you want. But if you belong to a community where 500 babies are born every half-year, do you really want to see four babies a year in your community die of VKDB?

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:11 am
Not giving the vitamin K shot is child abuse.

I don't know if it's child abuse, but I don't think in NY or NJ one can legally waive the vitamin K.

One can waive the antibiotic eye drops or Hep B shot.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:12 am
Through vaginal or backside intercourse. As a result of blood-to-blood contact (eg, sharing of needles and other equipment by injecting drug users, or 'needlestick' injuries).
Transfusion-associated infection is now rare in the UK, as blood transfusions and donations are carefully screened. Viral inactivation of blood products has eliminated these as a source of infection in this country.
Vertical transmission (mother to infant) of infection occurs in 90% of pregnancies where the mother is HBeAg-positive and in about 10% of hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg)-positive, HBeAg-negative mothers.
Transmission has also followed bites from infected persons, although this is rare.
In areas of high prevalence, infection is acquired predominantly in childhood - by perinatal transmission or by horizontal transmission among young children.
In low-endemicity countries most infections are acquired in adulthood, where s-xual transmission or sharing of blood-contaminated needles and equipment by injecting drug users accounts for a significant proportion of new infections.

What do you suppose the bolded refers to, if not saliva and childcare (which is more saliva-sharing than any other bodily fluid)?

basyisrael18

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m the Bubby and usually stay home with the other kids while mommy goes to the hospital
The mommy had to be in the hospital over Shabbos, so I stayed with her.
They offered Hep B vaccine
I never heard of giving vaccine before 1 month
And why on earth does a baby need a vaccine for an STD

And a second question
How do new mommies know
Which vaccines are necessary and which they can decline

I took a birth class for my first baby recently and was told to ask my pediatrician if I should say yes to the Hep B vaccine in the hospital. Called my pediatrician and was told no need to get it immediately and that they will give the vaccine in the doctor's office once the baby is 2 months old.

Ask the baby's pediatrician and see what he/she says.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:14 am

again - not saying that. All I said was that the argument that bloodwork is easier - isn't a good one.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:16 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
again - not saying that. All I said was that the argument that bloodwork is easier - isn't a good one.

And I didn’t say it’s easier.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:18 am
basyisrael18 wrote:
I took a birth class for my first baby recently and was told to ask my pediatrician if I should say yes to the Hep B vaccine in the hospital. Called my pediatrician and was told no need to get it immediately and that they will give the vaccine in the doctor's office once the baby is 2 months old.

Ask the baby's pediatrician and see what he/she says.

Just curious for those pushing off until 2 months...

Why is your baby any more likely to need protection from a disease spread by s-xual intercourse and iv drug use at 2 months than the day they're born?

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:20 am
sarahmalka wrote:
That is incorrect information from the school then. Are you positive the leaflet didn't say Hep A? That would make more sense. Please look on any website like Mayo Clinic or CDC or NIH to confirm what I am saying. For example https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/.....AQc04
Anyway sorry to derail OP's point. The administration of Hepatitis B vaccine to newborns is driven by public health policy rather than individual actual risk factors.

It wasn't a school leaflet, it was a local health department leaflet.

Yes I know because of the year and when each vaccine was introduced in schools.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:22 am
And I didn’t say it’s easier.

No "Milk" did. I was responding to her.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:44 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
Right. I declined it, they said np. And my baby got it anyway. I would've never knows as they put it on discharge papers as a different name.

What name did they give the help b vaccine as??

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:48 am
She knows her stuff on some issues but is a complete ignoramus on others.

I wouldn't recommend her as a go-to site, at all.

That's a pretty broad statement. Which issues do you disagree with? I found her articles on Vitamin K and eye ointment to be pretty well done.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 11:01 am
It all boils down to education. Don't trust anyone including ur Dr.

Look into every vaccine, what reason is for giving it, if it's a real danger, if ur kid can ever get the illness, if it really prevents...

Also outweigh benefits vs risks.

Chicken pox is uncomfortable but not dangerous. My kids got pox that was very mild without vax. He's immune for life now without getting the toxins from vax.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics