Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What to look for in a gas stove top?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:13 am
Where I live most homes don't have gas and so gas cooktops are rare. I am redoing my kitchen and have an opportunity to bring in gas and get a gas cooktop. Which I'm very excited about. But I have no idea - ZERO - what to be looking for when shopping for one. What features separate a better one from a lesser one? What features are important to look for? A certain style of grates? Certain type of controls? Certain materials used? I don't even know where to start. Any and all advice welcome, PLEASE!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:50 am
Surely somebody can tell me something.
Do I just pick which ever one looks nice and that's that?
Or are there special features I should be looking for?
Sorry if this sounds dumb but I know nothing about this.
I know I can google but the list of features don't even mean anything to me.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:53 am
I don't know much about stoves on I've never had to buy one

Our old stoves however used to have changeable tops so it may Passover really easy

Also we were able to lift the topping disconnect the electric so it was if we needed to turn on a fire on Yom tov it was a lot easier

I don't know if they even still make these kinds of gas tops

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 12:38 pm
You would probably want a combination stove with an electric oven. Electric ovens are more consistent and easier to use.

There are certain kinds of hobs/grates which are easier to clean because they are sealed - I am all for easy so I would get one of those

Different burners have different capabilities as measured by BTU so it is good to have at least one high powered burner and also one that has a simmer function

The oven should have flexibility in terms of rack placement so you can configure it

Do you like the way the controls work - are they clear and easy to operate?

Self cleaning functionality

I would want to look at them in person and I would also get read reviews to see which ones were more highly rated in terms of reliability and ease of function.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:23 pm
You want to check in advance that you can lit up gas with a match instead of them automatic ignition. This is a Tom tov thing.
Secondly: I had a gasman recently fixing my ignitions. Stove is around 20 years old but still going strong Smile
I told gasman I don't have the safety feature which switches off gas if flame is extinguished. He was very pleased to hear that. Turns out that the safety feature is the first one to break! It's expensive to fix it. Or you buy a new stove. People are begging him to disconnect the safety feature and then manufacturers have made it impossible to do so.
He said all new gas ranges have this feature.
I live in israel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen