Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Torah learning protects against superfluous internet use
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 9:30 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
I disagree. I very specifically write Torah-based research articles and I've received a lot of support from the community. One yeshiva has even incorporated one of my articles into their curriculum for bochurim. The Rosh Yeshiva, himself, wrote me a letter praising that article and telling me he has been searching for something of its caliber for years.

There are also many women who teach other women. That's a path in ruchniyus.

Yes, there are many women who interested in more fluffy articles, but that is because that is their personalities. And that's fine. I prefer more in-depth, stimulating articles. To each their own.

Would love to read that article!

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 9:47 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
Would love to read that article!

Hmmm. I'm not overly protective of my identity, but not sure if I'm comfortable with that level of transparency in light of all the personal stuff I've written here. If you PM though, I'll consider it.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 10:45 pm
Aurora wrote:
Sarah Schenirer understood it. The Bais Yaakovs she started seem very different to the ones we have now. I wonder if we need something more like that today?

Sarah Schenirer started Bais Yaakov when she saw how the Enlightenment/haskala movement was coming into the frum world. At the time, the allure of the secular world was to be an intellectual, to be educated. It was a novel idea for girls to have an establishment of formal learning as Sarah Schenirer set up. Today's pull of the outside world is not intellectualism so I don't if today, this is the way to keep our girls and women more connected to yiddishkeit.
Just my 2 cents, if it's worth anything.
Personally, I have multiple graduate degrees with quite a few post-graduate certificates. I appreciate learning new and interesting things. But learning gemara or other texts just doesn't talk to me.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational