Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Did I do something wrong or was it just a disgruntled teen?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 6:51 am
After my carpool route I pulled into a coffee shop ordered a 5$ coffee and drank the coffee there. The shop was basically empty.
Originally the young adult behind the counter mixed up my order but I was really pleasant about it and he made me new one.
I didn't tip - I never tip for a coffee. As I got up to leave I heard the guy behind the counter vent to a coworker about people that order a coffee and sit for an hour.
Did I do something wrong?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 6:52 am
No
let it go
you did nothing wrong
too bad his manager doesn't know, really not ok behavior on his part

English3

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 6:54 am
Just a moody teen.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 7:02 am
sorry this happened he sounds like a poor employee. first he mixed up your order, ok it happens, but it sounds like quite a simple order
then
he's foolish because if this is how he treats customers then people won't come as its unpleasant and he will be out of a job.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 7:29 am
Nothing wrong. Sounds like a kid who was either grumpy or entitled. And did you sit there for an hour? I rather doubt it.

(I remember a teen in our family, many years ago, who tried to argue that their parents should pay them back for what taxes took out of their paycheck. A slice of reality is a valuable thing!)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 7:32 am
imasinger wrote:
Nothing wrong. Sounds like a kid who was either grumpy or entitled. And did you sit there for an hour? I rather doubt it.

(I remember a teen in our family, many years ago, who tried to argue that their parents should pay them back for what taxes took out of their paycheck. A slice of reality is a valuable thing!)

Didn't sit for an hour. Lol. I wish I could. I didn't even finish the entire coffee. I had a day to start...
That's a funny story

ora_43

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 7:41 am
Lol what does he think coffee shops are for?? If people wanted to drink coffee at home they could just make coffee at home. The entire point is the mix of slightly better coffee + slightly better ambiance.

Either he's new and grumpy, or - is it possible he was talking about a different job? I could see a waiter in a busy restaurant being irritated if someone takes a whole table to just drink a coffee for an hour, then tips 15% of the cost of the coffee.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 8:35 am
It's not like it was a regular restaurant where wait staff depends on tables to order an actual meal and then tip, and have reasonable turnaround so they can seat as many people as possible. You were in an empty coffee shop, it's not meant to be a tipping establishment (I know it's become that way), you were not served tableside and your table was not bussed. You caused zero extra work for the waiter.

I think he was having a bad day and move on.

essie14

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 8:42 am
Yup, I'd guess he was having a tough day and needed to vent about something. You did nothing wrong.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette