Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tips for packing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 7:48 am
Any tried and true tips you can share to help me pack for my move? We have lots of stuff, married a long time thank God!

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 7:58 am
Purging

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 8:04 am
Pay professionals to do kitchen and dining room.

Color coded stickers by area of new house so movers can at least get things into the right general area even if they mess up the rooms

busy mommy

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 10:07 am
pack separately for the first days necessities (linen, some papergoods, a pot or two, sponge etc)

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 11:08 am
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
Pay professionals to do kitchen and dining room.

Color coded stickers by area of new house so movers can at least get things into the right general area even if they mess up the rooms

I second this. We had our movers pack for us too, they packed out whole life in just a day, and came back next morning to do the actual move. All in all the whole thing took a day and a half, including I loading into our new house, into correct rooms.

I did spend time in the weeks prior to the move organising and getting rid of things.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 11:21 am
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
I second this. We had our movers pack for us too, they packed out whole life in just a day, and came back next morning to do the actual move. All in all the whole thing took a day and a half, including I loading into our new house, into correct rooms.

I did spend time in the weeks prior to the move organising and getting rid of things.

I didn’t bother having them do bedrooms since I could do that quickly, but anything breakable that needs real padding they do so much faster and better than I could, and you don’t need to buy all those packing materials

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 11:56 am
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
I didn’t bother having them do bedrooms since I could do that quickly, but anything breakable that needs real padding they do so much faster and better than I could, and you don’t need to buy all those packing materials

Truthfully I was in no position to pack myself since I was in early pregnancy. But just a note to anyone reading, the packers also used special boxes with rails for the closets so the clothes could stay hang up on hangers, was very cool.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 12:00 pm
Pack everything you can live without first. I did my entire dining room more than a month before we moved, we ate on paper for those weeks. Seforim were next. I left one box open with the Seforim we use regularly. Then most of the toys, weekday dishes etc.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 2:43 pm
If you can get yourself to do this it was super helpful for me- as I packed I entered everything that was in each box into a spreadsheet. Numbered each box.
When I was looking for something specific after I moved before we finished unpacking I just searched the spreadsheet for it and knew which box to open.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 2:48 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Purging

Any advice on this for the organizationally challenged?

crema

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 2:51 pm
Use a mover that is referred personally by a close friend or someone you trust. We were planning a move a month in advance and hired a mover who we 'thought' was credentialed and had good references. But, when we had to give up on the plans, because we signed a contract, we forfeited 1/3 of the whole cost of the moving costs which amounted to over a couple of thousand dollars lost. Big lesson!

Colorpop

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 3:20 pm
Label the outside of every box with the name of the room that it has to go in.

Even better if you label every side and the top so you can see what the box is even if it under a pile of other boxes.

It is also very helpful if you write what is in the box (example: Kitchen - dairy dishes, kitchen - small appliances, kitchen - baking tools). This is helpful if you want to unpack one area of the room first and you can know exactly which box to open.

You don't have to get all fancy with this - you can just take a sharpie and write on the outside of the box.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 3:21 pm
I found these tips very helpful:
http://www.flylady.net/d/getti.....ving/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating