Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Packing gemach Lakewood

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:40 pm
Are there any gemachs in Lakewood to help pack a house for a move? Or even part of a house.

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:57 pm
There is someone who packs fragile stuff (glasses, China) as a chesed. I don’t have the info but hopefully someone will post.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:58 pm
Yes that's what I'm looking for. And help packing a kitchen !

amother
Mayflower

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes that's what I'm looking for. And help packing a kitchen !

You can pay the movers to pack. That’s what I did. Expecting people to pack up is huge.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 4:25 pm
I am not understanding why there would be such a thing.

I can understand a gemach for those types of packing SUPPLIES that can be used over again. When I moved I was lucky enough to get a lot of boxes from a friend who had just moved but I still spent a fortune buying additional boxes and packing supplies.

If you are incapacitated or infirm then theoretically you could find some kind of chessed organization to help you pack physically since it is strenuous.

Packing delicate stuff isn't difficult if you have the right materials - it is just tedious and exhausting.

When I moved I had my cleaning lady come for several days to help physically move but I wrapped up all of the delicate stuff. You could do the same by hiring a teenager to assist you - it isn't skilled - it is just carrying stuff from the cabinets and bringing them to where you are packing them and then moving the boxes to where you are keeping them until the day of the move.

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 7:05 pm
Because probably someone has extra time in her day and enjoys doing it and wants to help ppl. Nothing wrong with that.
Op I’ll try to get the information next week.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 7:11 pm
Thank you so much alyssum!!!

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 7:48 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
Because probably someone has extra time in her day and enjoys doing it and wants to help ppl. Nothing wrong with that.
Op I’ll try to get the information next week.

I am not begrudging someone help - However with so much need for people who are truly incapable of acts of normal life because of physical, mental or financial issues. it just seems odd that someone would donate their time to help an able bodied person pack rather than use their free time to help someone needier. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Granted packing is tedious but lots of things people do are tedious but one doesn't have the expectation that someone will do them for you if one is physically. mentally and financially capable of doing it done or having it done for you.

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 7:59 pm
How do you know that OP is in fact fully able-bodied and capable? And in any case who are you to decide what is or is not a worthwhile chessed for someone else to do? Chessed isn't limited to the desperately needy, but who is to say that OP has the financial means to pay movers extra to pack her stuff? Maybe OP has a disorder that makes her drop things, or one that makes her very tired and incapable of doing much of anything for longer than 15 minutes at a time. Maybe she is just being a skinflint and looking for free labor that would be better applied to someone in greater need, and maybe she isn't, but if there is someone around who feels like providing this service, it's none of your business if she does.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 9:20 pm
I used them years ago & most of what they packed broke in the move so just be aware.
Sorry I didn't save their contact info

amother
Candycane

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 11:55 pm
There is someone who used to help pack up kitchen Don’t know if she still does it. I am not comfy posting her name or number on a public forum.
How can I send u her contact info directly
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating