Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Need ideas - no camp
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 10:46 pm
My very high functioning asd son (17) did not want to go to over night camp for July. He had a very bad experience last year & I gave him my word we wouldn’t send him again.

I’m looking specifically for some ideas for him to do some self directed activities independently. Ie I’d buy a kit and he can building something or an art project. Or something similar to that idea. To keep him occupied for about an hour a day.
I have other scheduled things for him to do ie swimming but wanted to add another thing as well.
Any ideas and links would be appreciated

Thanks

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 10:53 pm
How about the sequin kits??

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 10:53 pm
Or diamond art?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 10:54 pm
Thx. Will check it out.
On Amazon?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 10:55 pm
Acrylic paints and canvases are very entertaining and therapeutic. Also maybe he would enjoy getting into a musical instrument such as acoustic guitar?

You sound like a great mother.

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 10:58 pm
The kiwi Co kits? May be too easy depends on his capabilities.
There are so many building kits on Amazon

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 10:58 pm
Jigsaw puzzle

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 11:00 pm
Puzzles
Diamond art
Paint by number
Baking
There are more adult type lego sets on amazon
Woodworking kits
Lanyard

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thx. Will check it out.
On Amazon?

Diamond art you can google and order wherever you see the ones you like.
The sequin kits you can find in any judaica store

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 11:03 pm
Thx all!
I really appreciate all your ideas & help

CPenzias

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 11:28 pm
Snap circuits? We got that for my son and he loved it

dankbar

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 1:29 am
Masmidei talent

A miniature building kit with instructions for sukkos. It's like 10 mini kits put together as one big project. Stunning. My kids did it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 7:51 am
dankbar wrote:
Masmidei talent

A miniature building kit with instructions for sukkos. It's like 10 mini kits put together as one big project. Stunning. My kids did it.

Where can I buy this?
I live in Canada , & can buy stuff online but not everything.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:43 am
It's a heimish yiddishe thing, they deliver all over the world, I'll get you the phone number. It's not so easy so he would need to be functional & patient. They use every day products & turn into masterpieces. They send you all the supplies & instructions.

They have easier & harder kits. You can also maybe order the previous year's if it more to your liking or easier.

Canadian number 514-819-0720

My kids did the instructions in Yiddish, don't know if they have in English. They also have learning sessions pertaining to miniatures over the phone.

Good luck.

This years theme was tefilla.

Last edited by dankbar on Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:46 am
dankbar wrote:
It's a heimish yiddishe thing, they deliver all over the world, I'll get you the phone number. It's not so easy so he would need to be functional & patient. They use every day products & turn into masterpieces. They send you all the supplies & instructions.

They have easier & harder kits. You can also maybe order the previous year's if it more to your liking or easier.

Canadian number 514-819-0720

Thanks so much !

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:58 am
What about adult hobby kits like model airplanes or ship in a bottle? Or maybe there's a kind of art or skill he could learn that could be a business later on? Like resin art or woodburning or even carpentry? There are books or online tutorials for a lot of these things and maybe he could do a simple starter project and if he likes it, he could find someone to learn from/apprentice with.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 9:07 am
There are nice craft things that you can do as a short time thing like soap making, leather engraving, woodworking, pottery, canvas painting, candle making.
Kangoo jumping, they already sell the shoes.

Maybe he can learn something like calligraphy, art, musical instrument, karate, sofris ( there are kits) large lego sets geared for older age.

Any informative thing like learning about countries around the world, world history, encyclopedia, different languages

Cooking classes

Quilling, origami

Making sukkah stars

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 4:34 pm
It’s really hard to get him to do much of anything. That’s the truth.

That’s why I thought small projects.
He doesn’t want an instrument, already asked & nope.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:13 pm
Letting him choose audiobooks or music he can listen to while he's doing whatever building or art kit you got him might make it more appealing.
We hired someone like this to run deliveries for us one summer and we were all happy with the arrangement but I don't know if you can find him a job like that or if he'd want to.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 6:02 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Letting him choose audiobooks or music he can listen to while he's doing whatever building or art kit you got him might make it more appealing.
We hired someone like this to run deliveries for us one summer and we were all happy with the arrangement but I don't know if you can find him a job like that or if he'd want to.

He listens to music on his own already.
It’s part of his ‘schedule’. He is naturally very scheduled. Part of his autistic type brain.
I don’t even have to look at clock - I know what time it is by his actions. It’s 7:00
Pm - shower goes on.
He is very self sufficient; makes his own meals, & personal hygiene is very good. B’H
Self sufficient But not independent
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics