Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Crib options for grandparents house, w space limitations?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 1:01 pm
My inlaws have a chicco next to me that they inherited from my sil who didn't want it anymore. It's a great sized crib, would fit a baby up to around 6months. It can attached to the bed, but I wouldn't go to that trouble as we're never staying that long.
Some of the better pack and plays have 2 levels, so a smaller baby will be higher up as it's a long way to bend for the baby in the middle of the night. There's also ones with changing tables and bassinets that go on top.
Imagine something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Comfort.....ss_tl

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Tr.....ss_tl

I would recommend you get a mattress for a pack and play as it really makes a difference. I've seen fold up mattresses if space is an issue.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 4:29 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We use this.
https://www.amazon.com/Dream-M.....ss_tl

Im thinking I want full size (and folding), because its usable longer.

Im considering this:

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:07 pm
The smaller one works until age 2, takes up less floor place (larger is a full size crib).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The smaller one works until age 2, takes up less floor place (larger is a full size crib).

What do you do after age 2?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:

I just read the negative reviews of the one I posted that is the same brand that youre happy with, but larger.

The full size one has 697 4 1/2 stars.

Does any of this present itself on your smaller crib as well (sorry for long read)? TIA!

Here's the specifics of the safety issues with this crib:
** Mattress positions and supports-- There are 2 mattress positions and the lower one is 5" (yes 5"!!) LESS from the top of the mattress to the top of the crib rail than my Delta. We have 2 grandchildren right now using a crib (one 20 months and one 2 1/2) and the top of the crib rail in this new Dream on Me is in between their belly buttons and chest! What???? One bounce and a little determination and leg mobility and they are on the floor, head first. Also, and this is another BIG problem, when the mattress is in the lower position, as other reviewers have noted, the 5" long metal brackets are visible in the corners and they have long slots that are sharp on the inside edges. For the upper mattress position, there are two very small plastic blocks that hold the mattress on one side that have a little burr along the edges. When the mattress is lowered the also show halfway up. Sharp stuff in a crib...? I suppose you can try telling your 18 month old, "Now don't put your fingers on those four pieces...." and see what happens.
**Hinges on the ends that fold the crib -- This seems like such a great idea but unfortunately it is NOT unless it's done with better quality materials (and thus more expensive). There is a slight "give" in the hinges on ends but this causes a BIG problem bc it opened slightly just enough to snag/pinch the skin on the end of my finger. If a child leaned on it with any weight at all I could see it pinching and holding onto their sleeper or obviously their skin! And I wasn't even pressing hard, just enough to see how much give there was once the mattress was in the crib.
**The bottom mattress "board"-- The hardboard mattress board is mounted to the wooden frame with thin staples, all of which had come out in transit (but were still in place just not holding it) and were not even holding the thing onto the frame. The frame itself is wood, which is OK, but the support system for holding it just seems like it's insufficient.
**Other overall remarks--Yes, there were some missing washers b/c the package the parts come in is ultra cheap plastic and it had fallen apart during shipping. Bc of the reviews on this issue I was careful taking the pieces out of the box so I found almost everything except for several missing washers which I replaced from my hardware/garage supplies. There were a couple scratches, too, on the rails and sides but nothing major and I would have kept the crib if it weren't for the safety issues.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you do after age 2?

They usually transition to a bed. Can technically hold up to 35 lbs.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
They usually transition to a bed. Can technically hold up to 35 lbs.

OK, are you not worried about any of the safety issues mentioned above, or is the smaller one made totally differently?

tia

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OK, are you not worried about any of the safety issues mentioned above, or is the smaller one made totally differently?

tia

The crib we have has served us well BH.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The crib we have has served us well BH.

Thanks so much for your reply.

I guess theres always people who find issues.

Can 2 people with 4 left hands and no patience (us) assemble yours safely, with no handyman?

If you needed a new one, would you buy the same?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 7:15 pm
I don't remember assembly being an issue, and we're the people who would hire for assembly with regular furniture.
I'd buy again.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 7:39 pm
I suggest you consider a pack n play like others mentioned, with an added mattress made to exact size ( they sell them, no need to custom order). My kids have slept in them well for many nights no issue, & is so much more compact & simple than a folding crib. & you can easily replace if something breaks, really headache free & foolproof.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 7:46 pm
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
I suggest you consider a pack n play like others mentioned, with an added mattress made to exact size ( they sell them, no need to custom order). My kids have slept in them well for many nights no issue, & is so much more compact & simple than a folding crib. & you can easily replace if something breaks, really headache free & foolproof.

Arent pack and plays square, and crib mattresses rectangle?

How do you use a pack n play w a crib mattress?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:07 pm
I have the Bloom European full size alma papa. it folds and rolls. Not the max or the mini.

professor

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Arent pack and plays square, and crib mattresses rectangle?

How do you use a pack n play w a crib mattress?

There are smaller pack n plays that are rectangle and yes they fit mattresses.. I like mine, but I don't like that it's so low.

emom1

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:31 pm
Graco has a pack n play that has a bassinet insert it shouldn't be so low for younger kids.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 9:31 pm
I’m chiming in late but I have lots of experience lol. Definitely consider a pack n play. U can use for infant with top part, you can buy foldable mattress on Amazon for cheap. Kids are comfortable in it longer than mini crib it’s really cozy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 9:37 pm
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
I’m chiming in late but I have lots of experience lol. Definitely consider a pack n play. U can use for infant with top part, you can buy foldable mattress on Amazon for cheap. Kids are comfortable in it longer than mini crib it’s really cozy.

The basinette part suspended on the top, by who knows what, scares me a bit.

YounginBP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 9:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Can you perhaps borrow a cradle or bassinet for the newborn and get a pack n play once baby is older? How long is baby being at bubby? Perhaps baby can sleep in carriage bassinet for a visit or 2 until you feel ready for pack n play. For sure add the portacrib mattress. Makes world of diff.
My 3 year old still sleeps in pack n play at my in-laws. Storaged under bed.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don't know where you live, but maybe you could find a local store that stocks different cribs so you could see it in person to be reassured. I find graco a reliable brand and I would trust that they have constructed it in a safe fashion. Remember a baby doesn't weigh very much so it doesn't need to be as sturdy as it would for a 2yo.

How long are the grandchildren going to stay? If it's only a few nights max, the parents should be able to make do. I personally (and have done) is used the bassinet from my stroller. It's rated for overnight sleeping and the baby is used to it and comfortable. You can even get stands for the bassinets so you aren't bending down for the child.

I would also say it's not always worth planning ahead to be sure it will last for all grandchildren over the next few decades. Get what you think is suitable for now, and you can always get something else later on as needed.

You might also want to consider that if BH in the future you have more than one grandchild coming to stay, you might anyway want 2 different cribs, one for a newborn and another for an older child, so you might need 2 different ones anyway.

I love my pack and play. We take it with us on holiday, used it for guests etc. They're great. I store it at the back of the closet as it's that compact. My sil has one of these folding cribs and it's a pain. It doesn't fold that small and is just in the way at the side of the room.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 3:57 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I would recommend you get a mattress for a pack and play as it really makes a difference. I've seen fold up mattresses if space is an issue.

Graco says:

"Thank you for reaching out! All of our playards come with a mattress which has been designed specifically for the playard. For the safety of your child, we do not recommend adding any aftermarket mattresses or soft bedding to playards. Please be sure to review the manual for all safety guidelines prior to using your playard, and if you have question about safe sleep, please reach out to your pediatrician. - The Graco Team"

What do I buy thats comfortable for the baby, fits a bigger baby too, is easily foldable, and doesnt take up too much room to store?

thanks
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics