Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Bringing along boys to the pool
Previous  1  2  3  4

Shoshana Rose

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 1:17 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:

Personally I don't want anyone looking at me change/seeing me in the nude (no problem once I'm in a swim suit though), adult women included. That's why I change behind a curtain or under my clothes or just come already in a suit under my clothes, regardless of who is around. And honestly, that's what I see most women doing, even when I belonged to a non Jewish all women's gym. (It is mainly the older women who don't seem to care and will get completely naked while changing in front of others, ime. Not middle aged and younger.) So that aspect wouldn't bother me.

I would've answered the above

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 1:23 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
Personally I don't want anyone looking at me change/seeing me in the nude (no problem once I'm in a swim suit though), adult women included. That's why I change behind a curtain or under my clothes or just come already in a suit under my clothes, regardless of who is around. And honestly, that's what I see most women doing, even when I belonged to a non Jewish all women's gym. (It is mainly the older women who don't seem to care and will get completely naked while changing in front of others, ime. Not middle aged and younger.) So that aspect wouldn't bother me.

I think we can all agree that sharing a swimming pool with small children is different from stripping down nude in front of little kids in a locker room.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:10 pm
I would take my son till age 6, but no adult in our pool swims with a plain bathing suit.

Fox

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:41 pm
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:
Where I live kids are way better raised, not to point, stare and say comments like these. Yes even little kids!

Lol! Yes, that's what all the clueless, entitled mother's at my local pool say, too. "It's not MY precious child doing anything inappropriate!"

So I gave up swimming. No desire to be around people like that. I'm not certain why boys seem more inclined to this behavior than girls, but that's been my observation. By all means enjoy your belief that children in your community are all miniature tzaddkim.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 3:55 pm
My local pool has hours for women and children, and hours for women over eighteen only. (And the equivalent for men.) By sticking to adults only hours I avoid situations like that, and get a chance to actually enjoy swimming without children being wild everywhere.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 3:58 pm
I read in the sefer from Rabbi Falk I heard from age 6 they shouldn't

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 4:13 pm
Fox wrote:
I can answer your question.

I actually stopped swimming at my local JCC because the attached pre-school (mostly MO and JPF families) brought boys ages 3-5 into the women's locker rooms. The little boys all stared at the women who were trying to change, and some pointed and giggled. They craned their necks around to watch older women and commented, "Ew!" and giggled and poked each other.

It is not a matter of "seeing s-x"; it's a matter of children already being attuned to nudity and reacting to it.

I suppose I might feel differently if the pool setup was such that the boys weren't present when women were changing, but I'm unfamiliar with any such setups. Given all the Imamothers who complain when children stare at them, I'm surprised anyone has difficulty understanding the fact that not everyone is eager to let 5-year-olds evaluate her body.

The changing room is different than a pool. No one is trying to get dressed or undressed at the pool. I’ve never been to a bungalow colony pool, but I would assume from the conversations I’ve seen here that the pool is JUST the pool. Changing happens inside a bungalow.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 4:17 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I would take my son till age 6, but no adult in our pool swims with a plain bathing suit.

What do they swim with then?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers