Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How to start again

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 11:31 am
I need to get a hold on my life again... when my oldest was a year and half (2 years ago) I just decided enough was enough and made an appointment with a nutritionist and worked super hard and lost steady slow weight for 6 months (total about 40/50lbs)
Then I got pregnant again bH (which was really due to the weight loss, my period was super irregular until I lost about 20 lbs)
I was really motivated to stick to my food plan the whole pregnancy and not gain a lot of weight but eating healthy is a lot of work (boiling noodles is a lot easier)
I also craved carbs and vegetables made me nauseous.
But really I gained a ton of weight post partum, I feel like rewarding myself with treats all the time for getting through the day, etc
Also I let a lot of habits slide and so eating larger portions, etc. So I think I am now at a higher weight than when I started out originally (which I know is the danger of the diet culture)

I don't want to be at this weight, I want to get this under control before I get pregnant and start this all over again, but I feel so down about it. Like I can work hard but if I stop ill just gain and gain. I know I need to made a lifestyle change, but it takes so much work to upkeep and the second life gets too busy I feel like it's too difficult... any advice?

realtalk

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 11:53 am
Slow and steady! Lifestyle changes don’t happen overnight. I would start by meal prepping a few healthier meals and snacks at the beginning of the week so that there’s options available when all you would otherwise have time for is to boil pasta. Also incorporate more movement into your day. Even a 15 min walk around the neighborhood right after bedtime will make a difference and get you in the right mindset going forward. Hatzlacha!

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:49 pm
My personal experience was that going strict low carb worked for me very quickly and that had I messed around or tapered it would not have. For others, tapering or modifying works.

I think exercise is a terrible way to lose weight but excellent in itself. Being fit has its own advantages. I’ve lost a lot of weight but I’m still very overweight and yet I ran up four flights of stairs the other day to go on a zip line and wasn’t out if breath. After twenty minutes of Zumba ( which I’m terrible at so I ran in place a lot.)

I don’t even exercise that intensely.

Your mileage may vary.

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:19 pm
OP, I get it.

Especially about a reward for getting through a hard day.

And not having the time to make healthy food.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:11 am
andrea levy wrote:
My personal experience was that going strict low carb worked for me very quickly and that had I messed around or tapered it would not have. For others, tapering or modifying works.

I think exercise is a terrible way to lose weight but excellent in itself. Being fit has its own advantages. I’ve lost a lot of weight but I’m still very overweight and yet I ran up four flights of stairs the other day to go on a zip line and wasn’t out if breath. After twenty minutes of Zumba ( which I’m terrible at so I ran in place a lot.)

I don’t even exercise that intensely.

Your mileage may vary.

Exercise does help but depends what you're doing. Cardio will burn a few calories while you're engaging in those activities but strength training will burn calories even while you're resting. It will improve your metabolism.

It takes more calories to maintain muscle Vs fat so build some muscle 💪 and you'll be able to eat another 200-300 calories a day.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:43 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
OP, I get it.

Especially about a reward for getting through a hard day.

And not having the time to make healthy food.

Thank you for the validation

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 9:08 am
Eating healthy doesn't have to be hard
Some simple meals/snacks (very little ingredients/quick)
Cut up veggies with egg salad or tuna
Handful of nuts with unsweetened Greek yogurt
String cheese with pickles
Piece of chicken over lettuce
Avocado toast with gluten free bread
Sausage pan fried over broccoli slaw
Zoodles with chopped meat and tomato sauce
Sweet potato boats
Spaghetti squash
Cruncny green beans and hummus
Seaweed instead of potato chips
If you feel like you need a reward, you can have a piece of low sugar dark chocolate or a piece of fruit
Basically, stick to lower carb, more protein, more fat, little sugar, minimally processed foods
If you are making food for the kids, give yourself one spoonful and that's it
Best of luck

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 9:28 am
[quote="amother [ Dandelion ]"]Exercise does help but depends what you're doing. Cardio will burn a few calories while you're engaging in those activities but strength training will burn calories even while you're resting. It will improve your metabolism.

It takes more calories to maintain muscle Vs fat so build some muscle 💪 and you'll be able to eat another 200-300 calories a day.[/quote

This is not exactly accurate because weight loss is not only about calories. It can also mess with your appetite. Exercise is wonderful but all the recent obesity position papers basically say that they don’t exactly understand what if anything exercise has to do with weightloss. Exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle. Period. Move in ways you like and do it sustainably.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 9:29 am
Throwing chicken in the oven is less work than pasta. Scrambling eggs is less work too. Vegetables are simple if you keep to ones you don’t have to check.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise