Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Prepared food - Chabad
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 11:47 pm
essie14 wrote:
$10 per person per meal is cheap!
I think you got a great deal.
Maybe it feels like a lot because you're paying in 1 chunk. If you were going out to a restaurant every day for every meal it wouldn't feel like a lot.

$50 per person per meal. $250 for each meal.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 11:53 pm
Sometimes we learn the hard way that we need to discuss pricing before…
A relative recently ordered 2 mains and 2 starters for 15 people, she paid separately for the ingredients, and was expected to pay the chef by the hour at $150 per hour. Per the chef it took 12 hours ( instead of the 3-4 my relative assumed it would….). $1800 total!

familyfirst

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:00 am
This sounds like a lot- and I’m chabad

Why not ask her to break down the cost of the meal for you- what is she charging for what?

Mommy1:)1

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:16 am
doodlesmom wrote:
Sometimes we learn the hard way that we need to discuss pricing before…
A relative recently ordered 2 mains and 2 starters for 15 people, she paid separately for the ingredients, and was expected to pay the chef by the hour at $150 per hour. Per the chef it took 12 hours ( instead of the 3-4 my relative assumed it would….). $1800 total!

No way. That is crazy. 12 hours????

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:27 am
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
So sorry once again!
I really feel for you!!
So it wasn't even a full course meal?? So what is she charging for? some chicken and green beans?

It’s a business. She is allowed to make money off of this. And it’s not so easy to make dinner, package it and deliver etc. I’m not saying it was worth the cost for the op but let’s not put down the woman providing this service

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:28 am
familyfirst wrote:
This sounds like a lot- and I’m chabad

Why not ask her to break down the cost of the meal for you- what is she charging for what?

She’s allowed to set a price without having to explain her costs etc.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:30 am
tichellady wrote:
She’s allowed to set a price without having to explain her costs etc.

True, but also it's a pretty standard price for kosher takeout in a remote area (meaning remote from a frum area/access to kosher food). That's what I'd expect to be charged for a standard meal (and why I'd probably bring my own food).

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:40 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
True, but also it's a pretty standard price for kosher takeout in a remote area (meaning remote from a frum area/access to kosher food). That's what I'd expect to be charged for a standard meal (and why I'd probably bring my own food).

I think we are agreeing with each other

Window

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:46 am
While I can’t explain her pricing, I can explain mine. When I cater for visitors, I charge about $30-35 per meal per person. That’s actually pretty much the same price as takeout in LA (closest Jewish community to us and also where we get our food from).
Truth is, I’m charging way too little for it to be worth my time, $50/pp sounds more reasonable for me. But where we live, most visitors bring their own food. I’m rarely asked for food. If it was a regular occurrence, $30/pp would be a joke.

I don’t really charge for eating shabbos meals by us, but technically it should be like 60-75 a person.

A friend of mine, in another remote area charges like $55 a meal per person. I think she charges $100 for a shabbos meal. Her logic is that we’re not here for the frum visitors. We’re here for our community. Preparing food takes a lot of time away from our work and family. If we’re going to make food and sell it, it’s for the wealthy tourist who can afford an all/inclusive vacation and wants to pay to be minus one headache. She says that she has to charge enough to not be resentful. So the profit should actually make her feel good about what she’s doing, not as a favor for strangers. And like some of you mentioned, yes, it can be really good side business to supplement our fundraising efforts.

I’m always really upfront about my prices. I don’t spring surprises on people. When I’m messaging someone about their order, I always wait until they confirm the price, before I start cooking. She should’ve been upfront with you.

What’s done is done, too late now. I’m just educating others about what goes into selling food. At least you can feel good about yourself that you’re supporting their work and giving them parnasa.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:58 am
tichellady wrote:
I think we are agreeing with each other

Yes. I think people who are shocked are thinking, oh, kids meals should be cheaper, etc. But what they don't realize, this isn't a restaurant with various options or a caterer who gives you various options. It's someone cooking out of her kitchen, taking a good chunk of time and using her kosher ingredients that probably aren't so easy to obtain & that came from her freezer etc.
Yes, she should have let op know the total before the order was finalized but she's probably used to wealthy vacationers who don't bat an eye.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:08 am
rmbg wrote:
$50/meal in a vacation spot is a great deal!

I was going to say this Very Happy

My husband knows halacho
He said if you are not rich and dont ordinarily spend so much on food, you can rely on the principal that you arent obligated to support a child over 6 and deducf part of it from maasar

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:00 am
I think that is pretty reasonable. I am a chabad shlucha in a remote place. I very rarely cook for tourists, since there is another caterer who does it, but she charges something like that.

I don't actually charge for shabbos meals, (in our home right now) I ask people to send a donation. Some people send $18, some send $150 so it all evens out I guess. I feel that shabbos meals are different to weekday meals also. But maybe I would have a different pricing structure if I had 100 tourists weekly.

What really really upsets me is when people book for both shabbos meals and then either they cancel last minute (which I don't mind if there is a good reason) or they go to shul and a local family invites them and they cancel on me. I have spent time, energy and money on cooking for them. I guess if I charged a lot of money upfront maybe they wouldn't do that.

Personally I would do a cheaper price for kids if I were charging a set price and cook less. Because kids do eat less. Or offer a kids menu of hot dogs or whatever.

I was recently in NY and take out food is really expensive. A main dish easily $25, add drinks and a starter and delivery and it can add up really quickly. Hopefully for that price you are getting more than a tray of lasagna.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:32 am
Sounds completely normal! What were you expecting to pay? She has to source the ingredients from far, cover all her expenses and obviously still make a fair profit like any food business. If you didn’t ask/clarify the prices before it’s not her fault.

Personally own a food business in a very busy Jewish community and if someone asked me for a breakdown I’d be flummoxed. My price is my price. It’s on my menu. No one has a right to ask me for a breakdown of my price. I charge what works for me and if you don’t like the price per portion that’s fine, but I don’t owe an explanation of that price point! Most ppl don’t ask for the total or look at my prices and never say a word when they get the bill/charged on their card. By then you should have asked if it mattered.

banana123

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 9:19 am
I am Chabad and I am somewhat taken aback by the pricing. But I remember in seminary we paid 100 (maybe 160?) NIS each to participate in a seder by shluchim we wanted to spend the chag with. I was taken aback, sure, but she does need to pay the expenses and I don't think she charges every guest. Was it nice? Not so much. But we were committed and we understood so we paid.

Remember that this shlucha pays extra to import her kosher meat. You're asking for an amount (20 meals) that could feed half her Shabbos guests. She's the only option for kosher food. She needs to pay her bills. Im kol hakavod you are not her target market, she's there to provide you with your Jewish needs but she doesn't have to do it for free. She wouldn't charge you for a megilla reading but you are paying for a vacation, it's not unreasonable to ask you to pay for the food, and pay what it is worth.

If you are not happy with the amount speak to her nicely and ask her about it. Say you expected that at $50 a meal it would be more than just a polka per meal. Ask if there is a way you can get a partial discount or if she can add more, and apologize for not coordinating expectations ahead of time. If she says no ask what else you can do if your kids are hungry. Shluchim are nice people. Don't be afraid. But do be nice.

banana123

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 9:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I certainly can understand that this helps supports the Chabad house. I guess I was so surprised cause when we were at in laws and they ordered from Chabad the meals were appx 20/piece but in a central Jewish location. We aren't at a luxurious location. Think something like a random place near Canada etc near a lake. The closest kosher community is appx 2.5-3hrs away. I feel better that I asked.

Kosher food costs less when you are central. It costs more when you are hours away from a kosher supermarket.

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm going to throw up. My husband is so angry with me.

if it would happen the other way around, you would feel upset about the money but your husbnands feeling would be more important. (feelings of failure; loss of money).

it should be the other way around to.

tell him to act like a husband.

banana123

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:10 pm
amother [ Petunia ] wrote:
Sounds completely normal! What were you expecting to pay? She has to source the ingredients from far, cover all her expenses and obviously still make a fair profit like any food business. If you didn’t ask/clarify the prices before it’s not her fault.

Personally own a food business in a very busy Jewish community and if someone asked me for a breakdown I’d be flummoxed. My price is my price. It’s on my menu. No one has a right to ask me for a breakdown of my price. I charge what works for me and if you don’t like the price per portion that’s fine, but I don’t owe an explanation of that price point! Most ppl don’t ask for the total or look at my prices and never say a word when they get the bill/charged on their card. By then you should have asked if it mattered.

Yes but in all honesty she may not even be making a profit. She might just be covering her expenses.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:26 pm
Not too many tourists in my neck of the woods, but I have limited space in my car and limited funds to stock up on food. If I use up a lot on guests or meals to go, I need to make another trip to NY to restock sooner, with a not insignificant gas, tolls, and time investment.

I am still lucky that I can drive to the city and pay NY prices for my food. If I had to buy at a closer city I’d be paying a premium on every single item.

That being said, I’d feel the same as you, OP, if faced with a bill like that for a few days of supper.

Matisse

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:30 pm
I have a small catering business here in Virginia. Whenever we're in Lakewood, I'm amazed that it's cheaper for us to eat in restaurants and/or get take out than my cost for ingredients for my catering. Everything I make is homemade by me and I make meals for my clients as if they are my family. I'm guessing this is how the meals are that you ordered. I think you would have felt better had you known the price in advance - also - that way you could have decided if you wanted to bring some of your own food, maybe order less or not order at all. I'm very upfront with new clients about my pricing when they call me. Also, I would feel terrible if someone felt they didn't get what they paid for:) I hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your meals:)

ladYdI

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:26 pm
Out of town and on vacation you should expect to spend a lot for this service.
Yes it was your fault you didn’t ask before but please don’t make her feel guilty or question her prices at this time.
This is her parnasa so look at it as tzedaka
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics