Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Asperger's
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 11:38 am
A child at 6 is still very young. They have a lot of growing up to do. It could be as he grows and matures, he will change and won't have the same label.
Remember a label is only a label. It's only useful to access services or understand why their brain might be working differently to what you might have expected. Focus on him as a person and what he can do and what he finds hard. And then try and give him the support and help in the areas he struggles.
But I always find hearing the words, even if you already were thinking them, is always still a shock to the system. Take time to process.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:24 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
First, Asperger’s is no longer in the DSM so it is surprising you would get that diagnosis vs autism.

Second, why on earth would you hide something like that? Neurodiversity is to be celebrated. You are doing him no favors by pretending he doesn’t have it.
I imagine the diagnosis is autism but the neurologist specified that it’s the disorder formerly known as Asperger’s. ASD level 1 contains a wide range of presentations. Asperger’s is one of them. So while Asperger’s is no longer a diagnosis it is still a description.

As for your neurodiversity comment that isn’t true in the frum world, yet. I think there’s benefit to not sharing a diagnosis too widely.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:37 pm
My most awesome kid has an autism diagnoses. Get therapy and help, it will go a long way. My son is sweet and caring and brilliant.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:39 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
I imagine the diagnosis is autism but the neurologist specified that it’s the disorder formerly known as Asperger’s. ASD level 1 contains a wide range of presentations. Asperger’s is one of them. So while Asperger’s is no longer a diagnosis it is still a description.

As for your neurodiversity comment that isn’t true in the frum world, yet. I think there’s benefit to not sharing a diagnosis too widely.

I disagree with the bottom comment. All women on this site are in “the frum world” including me. I have a six-year old with Autism and would never try to hide who he is. I just cannot relate to this.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:21 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I disagree with the bottom comment. All women on this site are in “the frum world” including me. I have a six-year old with Autism and would never try to hide who he is. I just cannot relate to this.

There's pros and cons to being public, it hasn't affected him negatively that people know he's autistic?

My husband got kicked off a organization he had been volunteering for for several years for saying he was autistic. I've also expirienced discrimination.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:47 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
There's pros and cons to being public, it hasn't affected him negatively that people know he's autistic?

My husband got kicked off a organization he had been volunteering for for several years for saying he was autistic. I've also expirienced discrimination.

Thats terrible.
Im so sorry.

I once tried hiding it from my sons swimming group.
I hemmed and hawed and then I finally told the instructor. My reasoning was that I dont him to be treated differently.
She said shes so happy I told her because some people dont and just makes it harder for them. And they figure it out.

In my experience when I send this child somewhere new, and I dont explain about his issues it ends off badly.
There are times when I dont say though, not because its a secret, but because I know my child and gauge whether it will be ok or not.

Eg when he goes to a friends birthday party an hours long, etc.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 2:24 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Thats terrible.
Im so sorry.

I once tried hiding it from my sons swimming group.
I hemmed and hawed and then I finally told the instructor. My reasoning was that I dont him to be treated differently.
She said shes so happy I told her because some people dont and just makes it harder for them. And they figure it out.

In my experience when I send this child somewhere new, and I dont explain about his issues it ends off badly.
There are times when I dont say though, not because its a secret, but because I know my child and gauge whether it will be ok or not.

Eg when he goes to a friends birthday party an hours long, etc.

I totally hear that. As a child I agree. When they hit teens and adults though there's too much discrimination.

People are so normal, accomadating, and nice when I say "I have sensory issues, sometimes I miss social stuff, I get overwhelmed easily and can't be at this event for more than x amount of hours" but if I say the autism word forget about it.

Isn't it weird? Lol. I literally could describe everything I go through and it be totally chill and just be thought of as a quirky person who is different and has some sensory/anxiety stuff.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 2:33 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
It is very very different when they are six years old.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 3:02 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
I totally hear that. As a child I agree. When they hit teens and adults though there's too much discrimination.

People are so normal, accomadating, and nice when I say "I have sensory issues, sometimes I miss social stuff, I get overwhelmed easily and can't be at this event for more than x amount of hours" but if I say the autism word forget about it.

Isn't it weird? Lol. I literally could describe everything I go through and it be totally chill and just be thought of as a quirky person who is different and has some sensory/anxiety stuff.

Ah so youre talking about yourself?
Yea I understand its different then a child.

Wow I wish people werent so judgy. Its so unkind.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics