Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Excessive "spam" on shul whatsapp group

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:03 am
as I'm sure is common, shuls often have women's whatsapp groups and I've been part of several of them for various shuls I've been involved with.

on our current shul's group, there is one women who posts what a number of people felt was a highly excessive amount of "spam" (specifically, reposted inspirational quotes). it became 15-20 such posts a day, almost every day. people were annoyed because it clogs up the group and hijacks other discussions and generally makes the group hard to read. someone left the group because of it, and several of us also were about to leave the group.

a friend of mine posted what I thought was a very polite message that a number of people are overwhelmed by the many posts and suggesting that she limit it because people are leaving or wanting to leave the group. this women got annoyed and left the group.

was the person right to say something?

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:05 am
Admin should have written: reminder that this group is to be used for shul related notices only.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:14 am
It could have been pm

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:19 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Admin should have written: reminder that this group is to be used for shul related notices only.

to be fair, this group -- and in my experience, similar groups -- aren't just for shul notices. they're for people giving away or selling things, people asking questions about nannies / pediatricians / repairmen / restaurants etc., an inspirational d'var torah someone read, some lighthearted chat, etc. it's just not appropriate, IMHO, for one person to clog it up with an excessive amount of spam.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
as I'm sure is common, shuls often have women's whatsapp groups and I've been part of several of them for various shuls I've been involved with.

on our current shul's group, there is one women who posts what a number of people felt was a highly excessive amount of "spam" (specifically, reposted inspirational quotes). it became 15-20 such posts a day, almost every day. people were annoyed because it clogs up the group and hijacks other discussions and generally makes the group hard to read. someone left the group because of it, and several of us also were about to leave the group.

a friend of mine posted what I thought was a very polite message that a number of people are overwhelmed by the many posts and suggesting that she limit it because people are leaving or wanting to leave the group. this women got annoyed and left the group.

was the person right to say something?

I'm in a few neighborhood ladies' chats and my shul's nshei chat and I admin a few chats as well. As a chat member, I agree this is annoying and is really not in line with the unspoken etiquette of these groups. As a chat member, I just scroll on by and if I'm being honest, I wonder what's with that person that they are seemingly missing social cues. If it's someone I don't know, it's not someone I am likely to want to get to know.

For the chats that I admin, I PM the spammer and ask her to stop, and I do this because I see it as a kindness; she is really annoying people and it creates a negative feeling towards her. I suggest to these people that they create their own chat and provide the link for those who want to see those specific posts.

I think it's best to send the chat admin a nice pm asking her to pm that person and tell them to please stop. This is best because she most likely has no idea she is annoying people and by sending a pm, it avoids public embarrassment. The alternative is for one group member to all of a sudden snap and decide to tell her to stop in "public", which often leads to others chiming in as well. You see this here and on whatsapp... it's not a good feeling for anyone.

These people who spam groups and message boards usually get upset and don't realize so many people are annoyed. The group who enjoys the posts can join her separate group and enjoy.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:53 am
Should’ve messaged her privately . She’s probably socially unaware abs that’s very embarrassing to be publicly called out, even politely

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 9:01 am
Our shul whatsapp only allows administrators to post to avoid this. Maybe start an "official" shul chat with admin-only posting and have a separate unofficial/social shul chat. Then people can choose whether they want one or both.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 9:12 am
I agree with everyone else, this should have been handled via PM by an admin. But what's done is done, and I'd honestly waste no tears over seeing her leave.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette