Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Girls camp for next year
1  2  Next

Elanaesther

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:34 pm
Hi! I’m looking for a girls camp for next summer. (2023). My daughter will be going into 5th then. She wants to go - IMO it’s a bit early!

We are OOT Yeshivish. She’s very bright but a very shy kid. I need a place that will be hashkafically appropriate (we don’t have a TV, she knows very few cultural references) but also have kids with good middos. She has a few cliquey girls in her class this year who are really beating down on her self confidence.

What else… she really likes drawing and art. Not really athletically oriented though she’s up for trying anything.

We are in the western half of the country but my parents are on the East Coast so I would really feel comfortable sending anywhere. My parents would be the east coast emergency contacts.

Thanks!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:08 pm
That's very young to go to camp. Not many people send so young in the NY area. In many camps, that age will have mostly staff kids in the bunk, and perhaps a camper or two from a family where camp is necessary, so it's not your regular camp experience.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:10 pm
Many in five towns and Brooklyn send at that age. It’s the youngest age in many camps.

Elanaesther

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:12 pm
Chayalle wrote:
That's very young to go to camp. Not many people send so young in the NY area. In many camps, that age will have mostly staff kids in the bunk, and perhaps a camper or two from a family where camp is necessary, so it's not your regular camp experience.

Thanks! I didn’t know that. When I went to camp it started younger. I don’t think I mind staff kids tho - maybe an extra mom to look out for her!

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:12 pm
The Midwest camps like AMW and Maarava start finishing 5th and 6th. If you dont want to go all the way to NY.

Mayaan Midwest I think has finishing 4th but its not such a sheltered BY crowd. I agree with chayalle that going into 5th is pretty young. Most girls I know go the summer after 5th or 6th.

Elanaesther

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:18 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
Many in five towns and Brooklyn send at that age. It’s the youngest age in many camps.

Thanks! That’s what I thought. I’d be fine with her being the youngest. I think they get a little bit more attention from the staff, plus probably a better chance of getting accepted in the first place.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:19 pm
Elanaesther wrote:
Thanks! I didn’t know that. When I went to camp it started younger. I don’t think I mind staff kids tho - maybe an extra mom to look out for her!

she might not feel so comfortable though if most of the kids are staff kids, she can feel odd one out.

My daughter is going to maayan this summer but I can't tell you how it is just yet. I know they said if I don't want girls with tv.... I should write that in my bunk request.

Elanaesther

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:19 pm
mha3484 wrote:
The Midwest camps like AMW and Maarava start finishing 5th and 6th. If you dont want to go all the way to NY.

Mayaan Midwest I think has finishing 4th but its not such a sheltered BY crowd. I agree with chayalle that going into 5th is pretty young. Most girls I know go the summer after 5th or 6th.

Thank you!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:21 pm
Elanaesther wrote:

Depends on the camp and the culture of the camp, a bunk of mostly staff kids can be very good or very bad.
In several camps I've been in, staff kids (under 6th grade or so) have a.... Reputation I guess. They've been in the camp for years, know the ins and outs better than the counselors, can disappear to their family bunkhouse if the snack is gross or someone is "mean" to them.
It might be a harder atmosphere for a shy 10 year old from OOT in a group where many of them have known each other since toddlers.

Not every camp is like that. But some are.

Elanaesther

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:21 pm
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
she might not feel so comfortable though if most of the kids are staff kids, she can feel odd one out.

My daughter is going to maayan this summer but I can't tell you how it is just yet. I know they said if I don't want girls with tv.... I should write that in my bunk request.

Oh wow good to know.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:22 pm
Elanaesther wrote:
Thank you!

if shes the oldest then she might not be able to get in to maarava or agudah midwest if you wait until going in to 7th. daughter got waitlisted this year. going in to 6th is likely the sweetspot for those camps if willing to go young.

amother
Catmint

mha3484 wrote:

AMW isn't really so sheltered either. Probably fine in younger grades, but if your daughter stays really sheltered it's probably not for her. We're OOT yeshivish/JPF and my daughter went there. Was fine, but I guess kids just aren't as sheltered anymore in not super yeshivish crowds. Truthfully, even her BY high school was a mix. It is what it is.

Elanaesther

amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
Depends on the camp and the culture of the camp, a bunk of mostly staff kids can be very good or very bad.
In several camps I've been in, staff kids (under 6th grade or so) have a.... Reputation I guess. They've been in the camp for years, know the ins and outs better than the counselors, can disappear to their family bunkhouse if the snack is gross or someone is "mean" to them.
It might be a harder atmosphere for a shy 10 year old from OOT in a group where many of them have known each other since toddlers.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for clarifying that. I hadn’t thought of that perspective.

Elanaesther

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:23 pm
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:
AMW isn't really so sheltered either. Probably fine in younger grades, but if your daughter stays really sheltered it's probably not for her. We're OOT yeshivish/JPF and my daughter went there. Was fine, but I guess kids just aren't as sheltered anymore in not super yeshivish crowds. Truthfully, even her BY high school was a mix. It is what it is.

Thanks! Yes true. Unless you’re in-town with a bunch of different high schools to choose from, it does get mixed.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:23 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:

My niece in the five towns area is sending her DD to camp this summer for the first time, coming OUT of fifth grade. And that's pretty young.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:26 pm
Elanaesther wrote:
Oh wow good to know.

maayan has a reputation of not being clicky, snobby..., the girls I know going are all nice OOT girls, I don't think most if any or super in to TV... we personally don't have a tv. my daughter doesn't know most secular culture references

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:28 pm
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:

the only girl in my daughter's class who I think watches tv is going to AMW.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:29 pm
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:

Thanks for spelling out what I was trying to say Smile

Elanaesther

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:30 pm
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
maayan has a reputation of not being clicky, snobby..., the girls I know going are all nice OOT girls, I don't think most if any or super in to TV... we personally don't have a tv. my daughter doesn't know most secular culture references

Thank you!! Maybe I will look into that one a little more, especially if she has her heart set on going next year.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:44 pm
My son saw the Matziv ad when he was in 4th grade and begged to go. I told him no. He may have wanted it but he was so not mature enough. This year finishing 5th I reluctantly applied to AMW but he got wait listed and I really am still unsure. I think finishing 6th is much better. Even if your DD wants to go so young you can say not this year.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics