Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Attention seeking Influencers?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:29 pm
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
Boker Tov OP.

That was the first thing I realised when I started following influencers.
By now, it's Good Night to them all. 😉

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:30 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I feel like there is also a certain narcissistic quality that these influencers have, as they seem to genuinely believe that everyone is so deeply invested in their lives. The "omg it's been a minute, AMA", "I see that I have some new followers so I'll reintroduce myself", "it's gonna be a hectic day and don't worry, I'm going to take you along and show you guys everything", etc.

What about some of them viewing themselves as some celebrity?

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:36 pm
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
The reason I like following you on Instagram is because you genuinely have something to share. I love sourdough and farming (well, the idea of farming because I probably won't ever have a farm or even a chicken coop:) You're on instagram to share what you're good at and what you obviously care about. Your account is a breath of fresh air!

Many people are on instagram because they're hungry for approval and it shows. Look at my house! look at how my husband loves me! look at how happy I am! look at my family! Look at my stuff! I'm so beautiful but also I'm not here to talk about myself so I'm going to post a filtered selfie along with a meaningful quote by Albert Einstein. Wink
It's sad how so many accounts think they're doing well because of the amount of followers they have, while most of the followers are just thinking how pathetic they are. I think we are partly to blame for following them.

So don't follow those people. Find your breath of fresh air and follow those. If you wouldn't take their opinion seriously on the street then don't listen to them on Instagram.

Not_in_my_town wrote:
I think that by virtue of being on Instagram, they are all seeking attention.

Someone who doesn't want or need the attention wouldn't be posting there.

The question is: What is their need? Is it for business or for an inflated sense of self?

That's not for me to answer. It's a question one can only ask themself.

See this is where people get this wrong. Having an instagram account doesn't make you by definition an influencer or attention seeking.

I began my account (@motheringmindset) as a hobby for myself and a service to others. I don't want attention but I do want my message spread so my own privacy will have to be the korban for that - yes believe it or not, this can exist, I can have a public profile and also not like being in the public eye.

Instagram is a great platform for sharing creative content, for sharing your thoughts, portolios, messaging etc. I don't follow or watch any influences but I believe that for the most part these people are creatives and need an outlet.

If people are also able to monetize it in any way then good on them. Let money go round. You don't like it don't support with your views (in the case of ads) or with your dollars (in the case of sales).

People love to hate on Instagram but it's literally an app. If you can't use it healthily then delete it. Same way you should delete your email or game app or anything else. It's not inherently evil just because you can't navigate it properly.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:41 pm
mushkamothers wrote:

People love to hate on Instagram but it's literally an app. If you can't use it healthily then delete it. Same way you should delete your email or game app or anything else. It's not inherently evil just because you can't navigate it properly.

It’s a giant commercial. I literally don’t understand what is healthy about it. I really don’t know a single person that has Instagram and follows ONLY motivational messages or something. They do that AND this one who sells clothes and that one who does recipes and also buy my cookbook and I’m making a simcha so what did everyone else do and shavuos is coming I should make a fancy key cheesecake tower like everyone else…

It’s an amalgam of messages coming at you from everywhere.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:43 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
See this is where people get this wrong. Having an instagram account doesn't make you by definition an influencer or attention seeking.

I began my account (@motheringmindset) as a hobby for myself and a service to others. I don't want attention but I do want my message spread so my own privacy will have to be the korban for that - yes believe it or not, this can exist, I can have a public profile and also not like being in the public eye.

Instagram is a great platform for sharing creative content, for sharing your thoughts, portolios, messaging etc. I don't follow or watch any influences but I believe that for the most part these people are creatives and need an outlet.

If people are also able to monetize it in any way then good on them. Let money go round. You don't like it don't support with your views (in the case of ads) or with your dollars (in the case of sales).

There's a big difference in spreading a message versus engaging in attention seeking and show offing behaviour. Not all frum influencers do this.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:47 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
It’s a giant commercial. I literally don’t understand what is healthy about it. I really don’t know a single person that has Instagram and follows ONLY motivational messages or something. They do that AND this one who sells clothes and that one who does recipes and also buy my cookbook and I’m making a simcha so what did everyone else do and shavuos is coming I should make a fancy key cheesecake tower like everyone else…

And for those who are prone to feeling competitive or jealous, IG is deadly.
. Seeing the (fake) amazing lives of other's is definitely putting them in harms way.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Show offing one to one IRL is very different to showing off publicly, when you have literally tens of thousands of followers. Some of these Influencers want "everyone" to know and see how talented and creative they are and kind of "want" and "need" all the compliments in this big open way.

Are you jealous that others are getting all that positive feedback? Deep down maybe a little.

amother
Banana

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:51 pm
OP, it looks like you need to delete Instagram from your life, not just your phone. Why do these people continue to make you so angry?
Middos take a lifetime to work on, everybody at their own pace. Don’t worry about managing everyone else’s middos, we all have plenty to work on.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:54 pm
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
Add you jealous that others are getting all that postoperative feedback?

I'm simply explaining a scenario concerning some frum influencers. I actually feel sorry for them that they need resort to this attention seeking and show offing behaviour.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:55 pm
I will never understand this constant anger about Instagram. If you don’t like something about it, there’s an easier solution. The only one you can change is yourself. That’s it. Just delete it and move on with your life.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:59 pm
amother [ Banana ] wrote:
OP, it looks like you need to delete Instagram from your life, not just your phone. Why do these people continue to make you so angry?
Middos take a lifetime to work on, everybody at their own pace. Don’t worry about managing everyone else’s middos, we all have plenty to work on.

Angry? Where do you get that from? It's not nice to invent things.

There has been no mention about people's middos.

If you don't like this topic, (does it make you angry?) then please don't comment.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:00 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I will never understand this constant anger about Instagram. If you don’t like something about it, there’s an easier solution. The only one you can change is yourself. That’s it. Just delete it and move on with your life.

Have you Read through all the posts?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm simply explaining a scenario concerning some frum influencers. I actually feel sorry for them that they need resort to this attention seeking and show offing behaviour.

Your posts aren’t coming off that way you sound a bit jealous and resentful.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:09 pm
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
Your posts aren’t coming off that way you sound a bit jealous and resentful.

Sorry but you are coming across as very accusatory. You are the only poster who has somehow reached this unusual thought.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:12 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:

Well meet me.
I domt follow any clothing or recipes. It's possible to curate your own feed to only see what you want to. Imagine that.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Just as in real life you wouldn't associate with those people.... you don't have to follow them online.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:15 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Just as in real life you wouldn't associate with those people.... you don't have to follow them online.

I have deleted IG. Have you not read through the entire thread?

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have deleted IG. Have you not read through the entire thread?

I did but I'm not keeping track. My point is let people be fools if they choose to (if that's what you think of them). I never understand all the discussion about Instagram.

In high school we didn't sit and discuss the girl who was the class clown. You either thought she was funny and cute or you thought she was immature and annoying. And you create your social circles accordingly.

Same thing just multiplied exponentially online.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:28 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"][b]
Quote:
And that is so so fake. They are literally being paid to make you believe that the dresses from ABC shop are cute so that you should go and order them.
It works because the masses get Influenced. They follow like sheep.

Influencers are like used cars salepeople. However, influencers cant rely on traditional ways of selling things where you walking into the store to buy the car or newspaper advertisement so they have to do something else to get your attention so they can sell you the products they get paid to sell you. Hence the attention seeking behavior. And like you said, people fall for it just like they would fall for the animated used car salesperson who is all excited about the used car he is selling you while making it seem like its brand new. Its all gimmicky and fake (and many influencers fail to mention that they are being paid to advertise or that they got the product they are advertising for free which is what they are really required to do).

And now there is a growing trend of accounts saying they will delete their instragram account or not be as active. Its just marketing of course and people are falling for it. Lets see if the accounts that are shutting down wont use other influencers to sell their products because you know, instagram is "bad". I guess some people want to have their cake and eat it too Rolling Eyes

amother
Banana

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Angry? Where do you get that from? It's not nice to invent things.

There has been no mention about people's middos.

If you don't like this topic, (does it make you angry?) then please don't comment.

I will stop posting if that is what you wish, but I just want to explain my previous post. I am not accusing you of anything, I am simply stating that your posts seem to be emotionally charged in a way that people might consider contradictory to your act of deleting Instagram. You are not indifferent, quite the contrary in fact. So perhaps your quality of life would be enhanced if you truly let go of all these strong feelings associated with Instagram and its influencers. And to clarify why I mentioned middos, it was in response to terms like narcissism and attention seeking (said in a negative way, because let’s face it, as humans we all crave attention) that have been mentioned upthread.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics