Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Kosher phone help

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:42 am
I am considering getting a kosher phone and Lakewood. It is a huge step for me and very difficult.

I know that I still have Internet at home which is not changing but at least this means that what I carry round with me does not distract me from my children or family.

The one thing I’m afraid of as I’m going to call a place and they’re going to give me a hard time pressure me
etc. who do you recommend calling -I’m looking for a basic phone with talk text and possibly Waze ( I plan to use my old cell phone on my Wi-Fi network for phones and videos and email etc. sort of as a tablet) but I need to keep my carrier and phone service and port my number, I don’t want service from them I just want to buy the actual phone - anyone have any recommendations that would be best for this and be the most cost effective ( my husband is not on my page and I cannot . shell out $500 for a new phone now when I just got a brand new iPhone for free from my phone company…)

Ty

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 12:02 pm
Talk and text, port number, keep carrier are all no problem. That is doable with any flip phone. Waze is more complicated because that only works on a smartphone.

You may instead want to heavily filter what you have already - uninstall or block all the apps from your iPhone and have someone else put in a Screentime password to prevent you from downloading more. Only leave on Waze, calls, and Messages.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:19 pm
There's a phone called the Xiaomi qin pro

It's a smart phone. That looks like a kosher phone. Keypad. Small screen
And can be filtered to have just basic talk. Text. Waze and email.

Basically from what I understood it can be filtered to actually be a kosher phone. And you can have Waze on there.

Which might be a great option for you.
I'm about to make the switch to that.

Kol hakavod. I give you so much. Credit. I'm making the switch now too. It's so hard.
So so hard.
Doing it for myself. My kids. My family.

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:25 pm
No advice. Just want to shout out to all those taking the step. It's not easy - but it's huge!
Kol hakavod!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:43 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
There's a phone called the Xiaomi qin pro

It's a smart phone. That looks like a kosher phone. Keypad. Small screen
And can be filtered to have just basic talk. Text. Waze and email.

Basically from what I understood it can be filtered to actually be a kosher phone. And you can have Waze on there.

Which might be a great option for you.
I'm about to make the switch to that.

Kol hakavod. I give you so much. Credit. I'm making the switch now too. It's so hard.
So so hard.
Doing it for myself. My kids. My family.

Where do I get this from? Is it officially “tagged”/ recognize Ed as being a kosher phone - thinking a few years ahead when my kids schools might’ve/ prob will require this

kay123

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 3:04 pm
firstly if you want a flip phone a real flip phone that has talk text and waze the only one that I know that it can be done with is the LG Classic (which is a tracfone off brand of Verizon there are very few rare factory unlocked {not service unlocked as those are missing broadbands} that would work on Verizon directly). BTW I don't know if everybody knows but straight talk (a tracfone company off brand of Verizon) on ebay (only on ebay) has a plan for about $200 yearly with unlimited talk and text and at least 25gb data a month (might be umlimited)

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:52 pm
Quote:
Talk and text, port number, keep carrier are all no problem. That is doable with any flip phone. Waze is more complicated because that only works on a smartphone.

You may instead want to heavily filter what you have already - uninstall or block all the apps from your iPhone and have someone else put in a Screentime password to prevent you from downloading more. Only leave on Waze, calls, and Messages.

Actually we got my yeshiva son a dumb flip phone with waze. The person who set it up disabled any other data from coming through. I think it was the LG classic.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:59 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Quote:

Actually we got my yeshiva son a dumb flip phone with waze. The person who set it up disabled any other data from coming through. I think it was the LG classic.

They look like dumbphones but they're actually smartphones, they run on the Android operating system. If that's fine for you, great, but it's essentially just a heavily filtered smartphone without a touch screen.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:07 pm
Following since I'm in same situation

kay123

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:53 pm
I would be careful with the wayz as all wayz advertisements come up so I would be careful when giving to yeshiva bochrim have heard that they can have inappropriate advertisements

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:04 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
They look like dumbphones but they're actually smartphones, they run on the Android operating system. If that's fine for you, great, but it's essentially just a heavily filtered smartphone without a touch screen.

Would you mind posting a link for this phone?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:04 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Quote:

Hi, where did you get this? Thx

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:09 pm
There are a few options on how to get the LG Classic.

https://www.ezafte.com/product.....D_BwE -Needs to be used through Tracfone. Tracfone has prepaid plans ranging from $15 and up depending on how much data you want. If you take this route, you can bring it to TAG or put on a filter yourself that is specific to the LG Classic phone. If you bring it to TAG, you should be able to choose what apps they put on it, so you can add Waze and take off everything else including the browser and any apps.

https://koshercell.org/product.....ctel- It's already kosher and you can choose which phone to order, with or without camera, email, bluetooth, etc.

https://kosherlg.com/- This is one of the websites for a kosher filter on your LG Classic.
https://oldsite.gentechsolution.com/filterlg - This is a free kosher filter you can download on your LG Classic, but keep in mind it's irreversible and I don't think it includes Waze.

There may be some kosher LG Classic phones on Ebay as well if you want to take that route.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 8:18 pm
kay123 wrote:
firstly if you want a flip phone a real flip phone that has talk text and waze the only one that I know that it can be done with is the LG Classic (which is a tracfone off brand of Verizon there are very few rare factory unlocked {not service unlocked as those are missing broadbands} that would work on Verizon directly).

Can you explain what you mean by factory unlocked vs service unlocked? I've been looking into the LG Classic for my daughter and can only find Tracfone locked ones (I'd like to use it with a different service), but Tracfone claims that they can unlock it for me after 60 days. Is there any problem with going that route?

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 8:19 pm
amother [ NeonPink ] wrote:
There are a few options on how to get the LG Classic.

https://www.ezafte.com/product.....D_BwE -Needs to be used through Tracfone. Tracfone has prepaid plans ranging from $15 and up depending on how much data you want. If you take this route, you can bring it to TAG or put on a filter yourself that is specific to the LG Classic phone. If you bring it to TAG, you should be able to choose what apps they put on it, so you can add Waze and take off everything else including the browser and any apps.

https://koshercell.org/product.....ctel- It's already kosher and you can choose which phone to order, with or without camera, email, bluetooth, etc.

https://kosherlg.com/- This is one of the websites for a kosher filter on your LG Classic.
https://oldsite.gentechsolution.com/filterlg - This is a free kosher filter you can download on your LG Classic, but keep in mind it's irreversible and I don't think it includes Waze.

There may be some kosher LG Classic phones on Ebay as well if you want to take that route.

Hatzlacha!

This is so helpful thank you. Same question as in my previous post though - although it's currently locked to Tracfone, they claim it can be unlocked after 60 days. Any problem with that?

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 24 2022, 8:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am considering getting a kosher phone and Lakewood. It is a huge step for me and very difficult.

I know that I still have Internet at home which is not changing but at least this means that what I carry round with me does not distract me from my children or family.

The one thing I’m afraid of as I’m going to call a place and they’re going to give me a hard time pressure me
etc. who do you recommend calling -I’m looking for a basic phone with talk text and possibly Waze ( I plan to use my old cell phone on my Wi-Fi network for phones and videos and email etc. sort of as a tablet) but I need to keep my carrier and phone service and port my number, I don’t want service from them I just want to buy the actual phone - anyone have any recommendations that would be best for this and be the most cost effective ( my husband is not on my page and I cannot . shell out $500 for a new phone now when I just got a brand new iPhone for free from my phone company…)

Ty

So what exactly is the point of getting the kosher phone?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics