Home

Rent raise anything I can do?
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

tweety1




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you think we could say can please fix xyz at least? Or they have too much power to just ignore since it's true we can't find anything for this price anyway.

You can always ask and you can try to be firm when asking, but unfortunately you landlord is on the winning end because if you move in no time they'll find a new tenant who will pay them market value which is alot more than $1450
Back to top

amother




Daphne
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:14 pm
tweety1 wrote:
You can always ask and you can try to be firm when asking, but unfortunately you landlord is on the winning end because if you move in no time they'll find a new tenant who will pay them market value which is alot more than $1450


Im not so sure that market value is much more than $1450 or even $1450 on a basement apartment with this level of disrepair.
Back to top

amother




Cobalt
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:16 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
Im not so sure that market value is much more than $1450 or even $1450 on a basement apartment with this level of disrepair.

I know someone that redid an apartment new kitchen etc and cause they did the fixing the landlord gave them a good price on the rent for 1450. And all apartments now you need to paint and scrape before moving in landlord doesn’t cover that

You can try your luck and have them fix some stuff like hole in ceiling etc.
Back to top

amother




Snowflake
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:18 pm
I’m going to say this again ...

If the landlord is living on premises the 5% per year raise thing Does NOT apply.

I’m sorry your rent got upped. Your landlord is being very very generous with you. She is literally handing you $550 a month.

Maybe say thank you and buy her a gift? Smile
Back to top

amother




Almond
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:20 pm
Or course you should try to have them repair what's broken. Make a list and ask them to include it in the new lease.
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:27 pm
amother [ Almond ] wrote:
Or course you should try to have them repair what's broken. Make a list and ask them to include it in the new lease.

This actually a good idea. A clause that will obligate them to do the repairs. When we gsve our tenants a $75 raise 2 years ago they added in a clause. I don't remember what it was but I do remember it was to their benefit but we didn't care because we weren't gonna loose anything out.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:33 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
Im not so sure that market value is much more than $1450 or even $1450 on a basement apartment with this level of disrepair.


I also think that the landlord would have to make repairs for a new tenant.

I would assume that $2000 per month is when an apartment is in good condition. The apartment would have to be painted. No one is going to rent a dump for that money. She is not gifting OP because she would have to spend money to repair; she would lose some rent while the repairs were being done and she would be taking a chance that a new tenant would be more assertive in requiring rooms and less noise or even that the new tenant would be aggravating or even not pay rent

So I would tell her that you are willing to pay the increase if she repairs the apartment and I would also start looking just to see if there is anything better available.
Back to top

amother




Beige
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:51 pm
amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:
I’m going to say this again ...

If the landlord is living on premises the 5% per year raise thing Does NOT apply.

I’m sorry your rent got upped. Your landlord is being very very generous with you. She is literally handing you $550 a month.

Maybe say thank you and buy her a gift? Smile


Then how did west gate raise everyone by 10%
Back to top

amother




Daphne
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:51 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I know someone that redid an apartment new kitchen etc and cause they did the fixing the landlord gave them a good price on the rent for 1450. And all apartments now you need to paint and scrape before moving in landlord doesn’t cover that

You can try your luck and have them fix some stuff like hole in ceiling etc.


In Lakewood?
That's not my experience.
Back to top

amother




Cobalt
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 7:05 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
In Lakewood?
That's not my experience.


Yup in Lakewood
Back to top

amother




Cyclamen
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 7:33 pm
Landlord is swallowing $7000 a year they are not making even after the increase. That is a ton of money. 1450 is a bargain. Take it happily. There are 5,000 couples who wish they were in your shoes.
Back to top

amother




Ruby
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 8:33 pm
Our rent in Chicago went up 15%. Rent is going up all over the country. Sadly in Chicago there are no limits to rent increases.
Back to top

amother




Trillium
 

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 9:15 pm
Even if it was a legal apartment... in many cities where rent control applies- they are allowed to increase rent if someone new moves in including a new baby. I know someone who had a baby and the landlord was legally allowed to raise the rent. Plus any yearly increase.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 9:56 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Then how did west gate raise everyone by 10%
It sounds like a bunch of westgate tenants got together and are talking to a lawyer.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:26 am
tweety1 wrote:
Some things you're mentioning here are bothering me. The dirty walls you say were there before you moved , holes; didn't you see that before you signed the lease? Before you moved in? If you did, and despite the fact you moved in I must tell you it's your problem by now. Right before moving you should've inspected it, and if it wasn't take care of you shouldn't have moved in. You would've prevailed then because your landlord would see that your not moving in untilll it's cleaned and holes are fixed. Now it's a little too late to complain about things that were done before moving in. Afterwards is whole different story though.


So we were supposed to be aabld to move in a few before but unfortunately the tenant before us were having trouble finding a place and moved out the morning we moved in. I pointed out things to my landlord, but they were never dealt with. We didn't have time on our side to say fix it first since we ended up not getting to move in on the original date we we were told and after that we had to be out of where we were before. The problem is when we reach out to them the wife says I'll let my husband know and when we reach out to him he doesn't even respond... not even an I'm sorry I'm busy right now just nothing. Our dishwasher was broken after telling them multiple times maybe a month or so later came down to look at it and took a pic of the model. Then never heard from them again even after reaching out. Then eventually the dishwasher would run constantly and had to leave door open so it wouldn't run but it smelled really bad.

I wouldn't be as upset, even though it's harf to go up that much in one shot, about the increase if they actually took care of us. I understand that they need to raise it because things are more expensive now.

There house isn't in the best condition and they are constantly having to come in down here to fix things up there ie ac and water etc. There power always blows and the fuse box is above my bed and they call me all the time to flip the switch and most of the time heart it blow when I'm in bed and flick it before theh even have to call. We don't complain to them or anything. I think they wouldn't have as easy of a time with another tenant.
The reason we want to stay though is because of location and it's hard to find places nowadays. Also, moving is hard especially with a new baby and work. I also understand it's still a good deal compared to the market now and at the end of the day most of these annoying things I can live with especially knowing I'm not going to be here forever. But how can they ask for a raise when there is a hole in the ceiling, the size of a poster board, from them and ignore us about fixing it. At least fix these things before telling us your raising us so much no?
Back to top

amother




Cobalt
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So we were supposed to be aabld to move in a few before but unfortunately the tenant before us were having trouble finding a place and moved out the morning we moved in. I pointed out things to my landlord, but they were never dealt with. We didn't have time on our side to say fix it first since we ended up not getting to move in on the original date we we were told and after that we had to be out of where we were before. The problem is when we reach out to them the wife says I'll let my husband know and when we reach out to him he doesn't even respond... not even an I'm sorry I'm busy right now just nothing. Our dishwasher was broken after telling them multiple times maybe a month or so later came down to look at it and took a pic of the model. Then never heard from them again even after reaching out. Then eventually the dishwasher would run constantly and had to leave door open so it wouldn't run but it smelled really bad.

I wouldn't be as upset, even though it's harf to go up that much in one shot, about the increase if they actually took care of us. I understand that they need to raise it because things are more expensive now.

There house isn't in the best condition and they are constantly having to come in down here to fix things up there ie ac and water etc. There power always blows and the fuse box is above my bed and they call me all the time to flip the switch and most of the time heart it blow when I'm in bed and flick it before theh even have to call. We don't complain to them or anything. I think they wouldn't have as easy of a time with another tenant.
The reason we want to stay though is because of location and it's hard to find places nowadays. Also, moving is hard especially with a new baby and work. I also understand it's still a good deal compared to the market now and at the end of the day most of these annoying things I can live with especially knowing I'm not going to be here forever. But how can they ask for a raise when there is a hole in the ceiling, the size of a poster board, from them and ignore us about fixing it. At least fix these things before telling us your raising us so much no?


I believe asking them to fix some of the things are very reasonable

Make a list and speak to them about it also they should upgrade there fuse box also. See what they will fix and what they agree to and the raise will go into effect when everything is cimolete
Back to top

amother




Cobalt
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So we were supposed to be aabld to move in a few before but unfortunately the tenant before us were having trouble finding a place and moved out the morning we moved in. I pointed out things to my landlord, but they were never dealt with. We didn't have time on our side to say fix it first since we ended up not getting to move in on the original date we we were told and after that we had to be out of where we were before. The problem is when we reach out to them the wife says I'll let my husband know and when we reach out to him he doesn't even respond... not even an I'm sorry I'm busy right now just nothing. Our dishwasher was broken after telling them multiple times maybe a month or so later came down to look at it and took a pic of the model. Then never heard from them again even after reaching out. Then eventually the dishwasher would run constantly and had to leave door open so it wouldn't run but it smelled really bad.

I wouldn't be as upset, even though it's harf to go up that much in one shot, about the increase if they actually took care of us. I understand that they need to raise it because things are more expensive now.

There house isn't in the best condition and they are constantly having to come in down here to fix things up there ie ac and water etc. There power always blows and the fuse box is above my bed and they call me all the time to flip the switch and most of the time heart it blow when I'm in bed and flick it before theh even have to call. We don't complain to them or anything. I think they wouldn't have as easy of a time with another tenant.
The reason we want to stay though is because of location and it's hard to find places nowadays. Also, moving is hard especially with a new baby and work. I also understand it's still a good deal compared to the market now and at the end of the day most of these annoying things I can live with especially knowing I'm not going to be here forever. But how can they ask for a raise when there is a hole in the ceiling, the size of a poster board, from them and ignore us about fixing it. At least fix these things before telling us your raising us so much no?


I believe asking them to fix some of the things are very reasonable

Make a list and speak to them about it also they should upgrade there fuse box also. See what they will fix and what they agree to and the raise will go into effect when everything is complete
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:00 am
Op maybe you should take them to din torah. Completely unacceptable for them not to fix things. Legally you can hire a repairman on your own and take the cost out of the next months rent.
Back to top
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Im a skincare makeup consultant - Ask me anything!
by amother
22 Wed, Nov 23 2022, 12:36 am View last post
Im a certified makeup artist- Ask me anything!
by amother
168 Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:07 pm View last post
Is anything going around now cold, covid, flu??
by amother
16 Sat, Nov 19 2022, 11:58 pm View last post
Rent the Runway feedback
by amother
7 Wed, Nov 16 2022, 9:32 am View last post
Mimisol black dress - to buy or rent
by amother
0 Tue, Nov 15 2022, 1:00 pm View last post