Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
New AMI serial/imamother thread
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 11:35 pm
I wonder if the author of the new AMI serial is on imamother & gathering information from threads. This weeks chapter seemed very much like an imamother thread on the topic. I almost felt like I'm reading a thread on here.
Anyone else feel this way?

momallhours

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 11:36 pm
Which one? The bungalow colony?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 11:39 pm
momallhours wrote:
Which one? The bungalow colony?

Yes

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 11:56 pm
Can anyone explain for those of us that don’t read the Ami?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 11:59 pm
I wanna know why all ami serials have bad shalom bayis lol

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:11 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:

They're both written by the same author- Chaya Gross.
And I believe someone once posted that she's friends with the author and she's not on here.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wonder if the author of the new AMI serial is on imamother & gathering information from threads. This weeks chapter seemed very much like an imamother thread on the topic. I almost felt like I'm reading a thread on here.
Anyone else feel this way?

Or serials and imamother threads both reflect actual life?
Although it's hard to believe someone could be as gullible as Rikki when it comes to this friend.
I like the other serial, about a newly married couple, more interesting.

liveandlove.ima

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:22 am

I wanna know how majority (okay maybe not) imamother threads are either intimacy or shalom bayis... Rolling Eyes
Also can we applaud Yitzy for husband of the year?

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:27 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
I want to know why all of them are badly written and have such boring plots lol.
Mishpacha has sooo much more variety and a million times better writers

Mishpacha is a higher quality magazine in general.
Their standards are higher in all areas.
You can’t compare the quality of the writers.
[...]

[This post, like many others in this thread, has been edited. Please post in a way that allows this thread to remain open. Thank you!]

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:34 am
As a writer, this thread makes me sad. I haven’t read any of articles mentioned, and I’ve never been to a bungalow (didn’t even know what that WAS until grad school when some guy tried to impress me by saying his family owned a whole colony of them. Boy, did my answer burst his bubble. “Cool. What’s a bungalow?”), but still, I think we could be a little gentler on here, especially knowing that the stories are written by women who might be on here (or might hear about it even if they’re not)? I’m assuming the stories are written to entertain and bring joy. If they don’t bring you joy, move on to the next. But obviously there are many who love them, especially considering posters are saying this is a second story similar to the first. That’s not something that tends to happen in the publishing world without the first one being successful.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:41 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
As a writer, this thread makes me sad. I haven’t read any of articles mentioned, and I’ve never been to a bungalow (didn’t even know what that WAS until grad school when some guy tried to impress me by saying his family owned a whole colony of them. Boy, did my answer burst his bubble. “Cool. What’s a bungalow?”), but still, I think we could be a little gentler on here, especially knowing that the stories are written by women who might be on here (or might hear about it even if they’re not)? I’m assuming the stories are written to entertain and bring joy. If they don’t bring you joy, move on to the next. But obviously there are many who love them, especially considering posters are saying this is a second story similar to the first. That’s not something that tends to happen in the publishing world without the first one being successful.

Do you read the Ami?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:47 am
Call me stupid. I enjoy reading the Ami over familyfirst.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:51 am
Kiwi13 wrote:

I buy the ami weekly for $8 I can discuss a bad story I can voice my opinion and if whoever wrote it is on here she can maybe touch up her writing

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:57 am
I can see something similar happen to me probably more when I was younger in the bungalow colony story. I can so relate to rikki- is that her name?
Just this shabbos I was trying to tell my husband the sad story and he was confused how I can be so into it if it’s not real… finally when I was up to this week’s chapter he smiled and put his hand up to stop me from blabbering on and on and said- “ok, to be continued”.
As a guy who has no patience for all this drama he just couldn’t understand how I care so much. I care because I see the old me in Rikki, the way she has to dance between her unhealthy friendship and her marriage. All that never happened to me but it really could have. I feel that the writer had to have had some first hand experience because it’s just too real. Anyway, I hope it has a happy ending.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:04 am
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
Call me stupid. I enjoy reading the Ami over familyfirst.

Same here. I read every single article in ami living and quite a few in a regular ami. In mishpacha, it would be a few in both, at most.
Does Binah still exist? For me it was the same with it as with mishpacha.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:27 am
I love Ami. Its interesting and fun. I find Mishpacha to be more pompous and too formulaic. I do like a few columnists in Mishpacha though, such as the psychiatrist and Rabbi Eisenman.
The serial about the bungalow colony is so upsetting.. I hope it ends really well. I know its aimed at making a point and getting people to react but I really hope no one is like that in real life..

proudmomma

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:30 am
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
Same here. I read every single article in ami living and quite a few in a regular ami. In mishpacha, it would be a few in both, at most.
Does Binah still exist? For me it was the same with it as with mishpacha.

This exactly! I find the Am I content to be more relatable and very often they feature some controversial opinions which become Shabbos table conversations. The Mishpacha imho is too politically correct and boring.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 3:46 am
Is the title of the series sunview cottages by Chaya Gross?

I actually did not read that serial. I did read the serial called Take Two by Riva Pomerantz. This is the first time I have read the story and it says chapter 11. Can anyone write a quick summary of what went on in past issues.
I believe she writes very good books. Is this good so far?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 4:18 am
I buy the ami weekly for $8 I can discuss a bad story I can voice my opinion and if whoever wrote it is on here she can maybe touch up her writing

Kinda agree.
I know writers write with an agenda, they wanna bring something across. But don’t make it sooo obvious. And don’t make the relationship so textbook. I’ve had unhealthy relationships; they’re not so black and white. Real life is complex and subtle and doesn’t have “codependent relationship” flashing in neon lights.
Personally I think the story is a little shallow and not emotionally developed, which makes it cringy to read. No offense to the writer, I’m sure she’s a wonderful person, and her writing isn’t bad. Her characters just need more emotional development. If you’re reading this, pls don’t get offended, I’m just offering some constructive criticism.

The family first just had 2 serials I loved, the short one from Ariella schiller with the husband mike, and what was it called the one with Yochi the tour guy and nutsandbasil. That story had real character development and emotional complexity. Loved it. And of course the queen of frum fiction the one that wrote lights years away in mishpacha (can you tell I’m terrible with names and titles). That was… chefs kiss.

liveandlove.ima

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 4:52 am

Of course you can say/do whatever your hearts' desire... Still LH
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room