Home

New AMI serial/imamother thread
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




Floralwhite
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 3:41 am
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
Call me stupid. I enjoy reading the Ami over familyfirst.


I guess call me really stupid. Lol
& I also love the whisk
Back to top

amother




SandyBrown
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 4:36 am
Last week, I remember reading through a thread about different parenting styles, I was quite intrigued but then I bought the Ami and lonand behold, it printed exactly what was discussed on the thread.

I think they are taking ideas and personal accounts from here on a regular basis.

P.s the article was written by D N who hangs out on imamother.
Back to top

chanatron1000




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 4:39 am
[...]
There is no objective standard for writing quality. Or for any art. If it deviates from the typical, it's perceived as either inferior or innovative based on personal taste and level of respect for the artist.
Back to top

amother




Coffee
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:33 am
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
Mishpacha is a higher quality magazine in general.
Their standards are higher in all areas.
You can’t compare the quality of the writers.
[...]


I hate to say it. This.

I do think Ami has very interesting content, it is just not orchestrated well.
Back to top

amother




Acacia
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:44 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
I wanna know why all ami serials have bad shalom bayis lol


So that we'll be hesitant about giving it to our teens to read. Twisted Evil
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:48 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
As a writer, this thread makes me sad. I haven’t read any of articles mentioned, and I’ve never been to a bungalow (didn’t even know what that WAS until grad school when some guy tried to impress me by saying his family owned a whole colony of them. Boy, did my answer burst his bubble. “Cool. What’s a bungalow?”), but still, I think we could be a little gentler on here, especially knowing that the stories are written by women who might be on here (or might hear about it even if they’re not)? I’m assuming the stories are written to entertain and bring joy. If they don’t bring you joy, move on to the next. But obviously there are many who love them, especially considering posters are saying this is a second story similar to the first. That’s not something that tends to happen in the publishing world without the first one being successful.


Here here. But can we speak about why there are so many serials - all over - that are soap opera train wrecks? At least some introduce quirky characters, or jobs, or something to maintain some level of interest and not make you totally feel like you read this before. (More than once.)
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:49 am
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
I love Ami. Its interesting and fun. I find Mishpacha to be more pompous and too formulaic. I do like a few columnists in Mishpacha though, such as the psychiatrist and Rabbi Eisenman.
The serial about the bungalow colony is so upsetting.. I hope it ends really well. I know its aimed at making a point and getting people to react but I really hope no one is like that in real life..


I don't know the serial and yet, amother navy saw herself. So on some level people can relate to the story. If not the plot, then the characterization.
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:51 am
[quote="amother [ Amaryllis ]"
[...]
[/quote]

Mazel tov. You might have just got this thread locked. At the very least I hope this comment's scrubbed. If you truly feel this way, write a letter to the editor. They won't publish it but they might appreciate your opinion.
Back to top

pause




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:56 am
I don't buy any magazines regularly enough to follow a serial, but I heard about this one at a simcha. The women were all into it and discussing the characters as if they were real people.
Back to top

amother




Navy
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:00 am
My husband laughs that people even write letters to the editor about fake figures as if the people are real
Back to top

Kiwi13




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:04 am
It’s funny, I’ve introduced several new concepts to frum publishers and was consistently told they prefer to work with what’s already being done because it’s “tried and true.” Anything new is a risk, and publishers (and magazines) don’t like to risk alienating even a tiny sliver of their already small target audiences. I hear them, honestly. I do.

I started a few serials on kindle vella that are obviously different than the standard frum ones, and I’m planning to self-publish my upcoming novel, because I can’t seem to “crack the code” with frum publishers. Sometimes I’m astounded by what flies and what doesn’t, and I wonder if maybe it’s okay when certain authors do it but not me, who knows… for example, it’s okay now to mention domestic issues and even serious Shalom bayis stuff in frum writing now, or addiction or whatever else can be mentioned within limits, but my female firefighter is a no go because she’s 30 and not home raising babies instead of having a career while she’s still not yet married.

Honestly, this isn’t the Torah I was raised on, and I’m moving on from it. If frum readers follow me to the self-published arena, great. If not, that’s okay too. I’m gradually building a broader readership. I just think it’s sad when we try to out-frum God Himself. The current guidelines are incredibly stifling. That’s the primary reason behind much of what people complain about in “frum writing.” Just putting that out there…
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:49 am
pause wrote:
I don't buy any magazines regularly enough to follow a serial, but I heard about this one at a simcha. The women were all into it and discussing the characters as if they were real people.


All Fiction is BASED on real people.

So this is really how some women behave.
Back to top

amother




Razzmatazz
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:21 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
It’s funny, I’ve introduced several new concepts to frum publishers and was consistently told they prefer to work with what’s already being done because it’s “tried and true.” Anything new is a risk, and publishers (and magazines) don’t like to risk alienating even a tiny sliver of their already small target audiences. I hear them, honestly. I do.

I started a few serials on kindle vella that are obviously different than the standard frum ones, and I’m planning to self-publish my upcoming novel, because I can’t seem to “crack the code” with frum publishers. Sometimes I’m astounded by what flies and what doesn’t, and I wonder if maybe it’s okay when certain authors do it but not me, who knows… for example, it’s okay now to mention domestic issues and even serious Shalom bayis stuff in frum writing now, or addiction or whatever else can be mentioned within limits, but my female firefighter is a no go because she’s 30 and not home raising babies instead of having a career while she’s still not yet married.

Honestly, this isn’t the Torah I was raised on, and I’m moving on from it. If frum readers follow me to the self-published arena, great. If not, that’s okay too. I’m gradually building a broader readership. I just think it’s sad when we try to out-frum God Himself. The current guidelines are incredibly stifling. That’s the primary reason behind much of what people complain about in “frum writing.” Just putting that out there…


I would love to read your stuff. I’m kind of obsessed with the poem about your last nerve!
Back to top

amother




Lotus
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:30 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
Last week, I remember reading through a thread about different parenting styles, I was quite intrigued but then I bought the Ami and lonand behold, it printed exactly what was discussed on the thread.

I think they are taking ideas and personal accounts from here on a regular basis.

P.s the article was written by D N who hangs out on imamother.

oh please. Is there anything that hasn't been discussed on this site?? These articles are planned way in advance. There are parenting threads on here daily for the past ten years.
Back to top

Kiwi13




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:35 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
I would love to read your stuff. I’m kind of obsessed with the poem about your last nerve!
Aww thanks!
Back to top

amother




Jean
 

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 12:07 am
I love reading the serials in both Ami and Mishpacha. I dont always need to read ''heavy'' stories. I have enough work with my own family during the week to be considered ''hard and heavy''. Sometimes we just wanna relax, let our minds wander and go along with the story. You don't like it, Stop buying the magazine. Everyone has their own style of writing.
Back to top

amother




Stonewash
 

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 8:24 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Here here. But can we speak about why there are so many serials - all over - that are soap opera train wrecks? At least some introduce quirky characters, or jobs, or something to maintain some level of interest and not make you totally feel like you read this before. (More than once.)


Why are soap operas so loved by people in general? There's obviously a market for them. Some of them have been running for decades. I think people like reading/watching about people who are relatively normal and relatable, and who have all these dramatic happenings. And it makes people feel better about their own lives.
And it's simply entertaining. I have enough stresses in my own life that I don't enjoy reading intense and dramatic books of literature. I love reading 'fluff'. It's very relaxing. I'm not reading for realism, I'm reading for escapism and I want light reading. I want to read about ordinary people with broken relationships and I want to have happy endings and that there isn't too much happening in the middle.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Bored😑let’s have a funny/interesting YouTube video thread 890 Yesterday at 11:11 am View last post
Chossidmom's Spam Thread of Covid Vaccine Info - welcome 263 Wed, Aug 10 2022, 2:12 pm View last post
Surfview cottage Ami serial.. Leah is my friend IRL
by amother
44 Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:19 am View last post
Tisha B'Av video thread 7 Sun, Aug 07 2022, 1:58 pm View last post
S/O on the "bored" thread (for outside NYC)
by amother
3 Wed, Aug 03 2022, 3:28 am View last post