Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Getting stains out of white pique/mesh polo shirts

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:47 am
That’s what my husband wears daily all summer and I’m finding it impossible to get stains out.

I spray them before with seventh generation stain remover spray, soak in oxyclean in the machine, and wash once, twice, three times, never machine dry, don’t iron, and the stains won’t budge. What am I missing?

Can anyone detail their tried and true methods? Like step by step? Thank you

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:08 am
What are the stains from? Some are very hard to get out if not treated immediately.
Also some pique fabrics are harder to remove stains than others.

Baby the stains. Since they aren't fresh, they need some more work. (When they're fresh the stains usually come out after the first 15 minutes.)

Run the garment under water to get it fully wet. Lay it flat in a clean basin. Put some Dawn dish soap on the palms of your hands and spread and rub the soap into the stains. Let sit 15 minutes. Scrub at the stain with a soft cleaning toothbrush. Add some more Dawn (not directly on fabric - rub together on palms and the rub into stain). Let sit another 15 minutes and scrub. Run garment under water again and re-treat. Let sit overnight laying flat in the clean basin (garment should be wet enough to stay wet throughout).
Scrub out stains with a soft cleaning toothbrush in the AM. Rinse and check to make sure stain is out, otherwise start again and treat for another day.
Once stain is out, rinse soap out completely (suds hurt HE washing machines). Then put the wet shirt into the washing machine and wash as usual.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:43 am
ra_mom wrote:
What are the stains from? Some are very hard to get out if not treated immediately.
Also some pique fabrics are harder to remove stains than others.

Baby the stains. Since they aren't fresh, they need some more work. (When they're fresh the stains usually come out after the first 15 minutes.)

Run the garment under water to get it fully wet. Lay it flat in a clean basin. Put some Dawn dish soap on the palms of your hands and spread and rub the soap into the stains. Let sit 15 minutes. Scrub at the stain with a soft cleaning toothbrush. Add some more Dawn (not directly on fabric - rub together on palms and the rub into stain). Let sit another 15 minutes and scrub. Run garment under water again and re-treat. Let sit overnight laying flat in the clean basin (garment should be wet enough to stay wet throughout).
Scrub out stains with a soft cleaning toothbrush in the AM. Rinse and check to make sure stain is out, otherwise start again and treat for another day.
Once stain is out, rinse soap out completely (suds hurt HE washing machines). Then put the wet shirt into the washing machine and wash as usual.
Thanks. I’ll try this because they are old stains.

For the future, what’s the best way to treat stains and wash so we don’t run into these kinds of issues? The stains are coffee, ketchup, fruit type of stains.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. I’ll try this because they are old stains.

For the future, what’s the best way to treat stains and wash so we don’t run into these kinds of issues? The stains are coffee, ketchup, fruit type of stains.

Fruit stains are a killer. They need to be treated immediately. Ketchup will need long soaking and also need to be treated fresh.

Any way he can go to the sink as soon as he gets the stain and use a wet hand and a swipe over the cover of the soap bottle to get stains out immediately? That's what I do if I get a stain at work.

For new stains, wet garment. Put some Dawn dish soap on the palms of your hands and spread and rub the soap into the stains. Let sit 15 minutes. Scrub at the stain with a soft cleaning toothbrush. Make sure stains are out (otherwise repeat). Rinse out suds. Wash in machine.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:10 am
I just discovered spray and wash stick. It used to be a spray, but now it's a stick, it looks like deodorant. You rub it on the stain, leave it for a few days and most stains come out.

Anon because I've told a lot of people about this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics