Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Going for a job interview...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 4:49 am
I have an interview for a part time job.
Its somewhere Im really interested in but I just found out the timing is different then I thought it was.

Im not sure how current timing would work with my baby.
His playgroup finishes the same time as the job ends and I wont be able to be there on time.
I also dont want to switch him at the moment.

Is it a chutzpah of me to ask to leave early every day, already at an interview?
I really want to show Im interested but I also need it to work for me and Im desparate for a new job!!

Im only talking about leaving 10 mins early ir so but its a school so I understand its not easy for them.

I have butterflies in my stomach prepping for an j terview when I dont even know if I can take it on...

Any advise or tips please

Thank you.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 5:01 am
If it's the kind of job where it is important that you be there to the exact minutes... Could you try asking the babysitter if it's ok to pick up your baby ten minutes later?

SG18

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 5:02 am
Go for the interview, see how it goes. When they offer you the job, you can let them know what you need.
I did this with a job that I knew I would want more $ for, it went well.
If they say they can't give you that extra time, you can see if you can make it work or if you need to turn it down.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 5:05 am
I dont really want to pick my baby up later because already he is out the whole day, aswel as other reasons.
(He is out in mornings somewhere else, and helper takes him at end of morning to afternoon playgroup, so I wouldnt want him again to be the last one)

I think this is basicaly a job offer already
Interview first and then they want to observe me in a classroom and im presuming its up to me then...

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 5:09 am
If you would be working in a classroom.. How is that fair for the students to have you leaving ten minutes early?

And why does ten extra minutes at the babysitter make such a big deal for your kid? How old a baby are we talking about?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 5:18 am
I would discuss the schedule issue before the interview to see if they’re a bit flexible.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 5:27 am
singleagain wrote:
If you would be working in a classroom.. How is that fair for the students to have you leaving ten minutes early?

And why does ten extra minutes at the babysitter make such a big deal for your kid? How old a baby are we talking about?

Yes I agree its not fair, thats why Im feeling whats the point of the interview...
But thats for them to decide.

Hes 2.5 and at the end of the morning most moms come and fetch but he goes with 1 or 2 others to afternoon playgroup somewhere else with the helper.
Also its a playgroup so programme ends at specific time. He would def notice again that hes the last.
Anyway I dont think teacher is flexible about this.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 5:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes I agree its not fair, thats why Im feeling whats the point of the interview...
But thats for them to decide.

Hes 2.5 and at the end of the morning most moms come and fetch but he goes with 1 or 2 others to afternoon playgroup somewhere else with the helper.
Also its a playgroup so programme ends at specific time. He would def notice again that hes the last.
Anyway I dont think teacher is flexible about this.

Okay, that's fair.. I guess I just thought a baby was less than a year and that it was more ab daycare center. Thank you for clarifying.

as to the interview... I guess it can't hurt to ask, but they may not be willing to be that accommodating. I guess you just have to be prepared for that outcome.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 5:36 am
I really really want to be able to make it work.

Is there any way I can say that diplomatically, but also state what my times are...
I feel like they have to really want me and I have to be an excellent teacher for them to be accomodating and I dont know how to prove that to them...

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 5:38 am
Wait till they offer you the job to discuss logistics like that

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 5:40 am
I'm sorry... I've never worked in a school so I don't have any specific advice. Maybe if you change your thread title to something like "can school job accommodate my needing to leave early" or something will get you answers from posters with more experience

Jello

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 7:02 am
Given the teacher shortage, it's quite possible that if your skills meet their needs they'll be motivated to find a way to make it work.

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 7:42 am
Is there a way you could pay someone to pick him up at daycare and bring him up you in school?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 9:12 am
Did they ask for different timings to what was mentioned earlier? I would go back to them and be honest, I would prefer x hours and see if they can offer anything else.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 9:38 am
Teacher here.

Wait for them to offer you the job. Then ask if there’s a scheduling option for you to leave 10 min early- maybe there’s a dismissal duty teacher that can take over. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

If they say no, in my opinion, either ask daycare for late-stay option for 10-15 min, or hire someone else to pick him up. That’s just what working full-time entails. He’ll be fine. If you want this job and it checks all the other boxes, you’ll figure it out and your child won’t be scarred by it. My kids love late stay, especially my 2 year old.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 12:03 pm
Thanks so much everyone.
Just a quick update.

Bh bh got the job!!
Cannot believe it.
Thank you Hashem!!

Been soo unhappy in my work till now.
I could see they were really interested in me so I did mention it and bh doesnt seem to be a problem if Im the one that organises room and make sure everything is done.

Also there was a choice of rooms and the one that I preferred is more flexible if I leave a bit earlier.

SG18

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much everyone.
Just a quick update.

Bh bh got the job!!
Cannot believe it.
Thank you Hashem!!

Been soo unhappy in my work till now.
I could see they were really interested in me so I did mention it and bh doesnt seem to be a problem if Im the one that organises room and make sure everything is done.

Also there was a choice of rooms and the one that I preferred is more flexible if I leave a bit earlier.

That's great! Good luck Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics