Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Butter not nutritious?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 7:33 pm
listening to a hotline -saying butter wont do any harm so can have it but has no nutrition at all.

rather avocado for healthy fat?

my nutritionist claims butter is very healthy ang good for growing kids. its good for teeth too acc to weston price?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 7:39 pm
Most nutritious butter is from organic grass fed cows.

But frying in any kind of butter is much healthier than any of the cheap oils: corn, soy, canola, vegetable..

Tastes better, too.

But it is milchig.

And Dr. Mercola (health nut) recommends chicken schmaltz or tallow for frying as well -
but it is fleishig.

The whole world used to use butter, schmaltz, tallow (and lard) until around the 1950s when
corn oil and vegetable oil was introduced.

The companies said the butter, schmaltz, tallow (and lard) were unhealthy because of cholesterol.

Turns out the cheap oils (corn, soy, canola, vegetable, safflower, sunflower) are all Extremely unhealthy.

Best pareve healthy oils:

coconut oil, olive oil (but a lot of fake olive oil), avocado oil

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 7:44 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Most nutritious butter is from organic grass fed cows.

But frying in any kind of butter is much healthier than any of the cheap oils: corn, soy, canola, vegetable..

Tastes better, too.

But it is milchig.

And Dr. Mercola (health nut) recommends chicken schmaltz or tallow for frying as well -
but it is fleishig.

The whole world used to use butter, schmaltz, tallow (and lard) until around the 1950s when
corn oil and vegetable oil was introduced.

The companies said the butter, schmaltz, tallow (and lard) were unhealthy because of cholesterol.

Turns out the cheap oils (corn, soy, canola, vegetable, safflower, sunflower) are all Extremely unhealthy.

Best pareve healthy oils:

coconut oil, olive oil (but a lot of fake olive oil), avocado oil

the butter I use is not organic but grass fed

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 7:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
the butter I use is not organic but grass fed

Use it! Grass Fed is high in Vitamin D (from the sunshine in pastures, and the green grass).

Also higher in omega 3, because grass produces omega 3, while cows fed corn (not pastured)
are high in omega 6 - which is unhealthy.

pizzapie

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 8:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
listening to a hotline -saying butter wont do any harm so can have it but has no nutrition at all.

my nutritionist claims butter is very healthy ang good for growing kids. its good for teeth too acc to weston price?

In general, fat is very important for brain development! As a society we have been taught that fat=unhealthy. Which is wrong, its excessive amounts that are unhealthy.

number

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 9:17 pm
Butter has dairy, avocado has fodmaps. If you can tolerate both then it’s good to mix it up because they both have different benefits. If your kids are sensitive to one of them then obviously avoid.

Weston price I believe only endorses certain types of butter. I forget the details but I wasn’t able to find a CY brand that qualifies.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 1:33 am
pizzapie wrote:
In general, fat is very important for brain development! As a society we have been taught that fat=unhealthy. Which is wrong, its excessive amounts that are unhealthy.

not only for brain.

nutritionist said kids who eat butter he sees grow taller...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 1:35 am
number wrote:
Butter has dairy, avocado has fodmaps. If you can tolerate both then it’s good to mix it up because they both have different benefits. If your kids are sensitive to one of them then obviously avoid.

Weston price I believe only endorses certain types of butter. I forget the details but I wasn’t able to find a CY brand that qualifies.

from weston price:

BEST: Raw butter from grass-fed cows.
GOOD: Pasteurized butter from grass-fed cows.
STILL GOOD: Regular pasteurized butter from
supermarkets—still a much healthier choice than
margarine or spreads.
FOR SOURCES, contact the Weston A. Price
Foundation and request our Shopping Guide; visit
www.realmilk.com; or contact your nearest local
chapter, posted at www.westonaprice.org.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 3:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is your nutritionist an RDN and does she say this as it exists in a vacuum or in specific instances and in regard to specific nutritional needs?

You make it seem as if thing are black and white.

Water is good for you.
You can dehydrated if you don’t drink enough.
You can also have water toxicity and electrolyte imbalance if you drink too much. Additionally, if you have CHF or renal disease, you can have fluid overload.

These “are they good for me” (other ones being cottage cheese and leben) are utterly ridiculous.

Moonlight

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 3:37 am
Cholesterol?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:45 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Is your nutritionist an RDN and does she say this as it exists in a vacuum or in specific instances and in regard to specific nutritional needs?

Water is good for you.
You can also have water toxicity and electrolyte imbalance if you drink too much. Additionally, if you have CHF or renal disease, you can have fluid overload.

These “are they good for me” (other ones being cottage cheese and leben) are utterly ridiculous.

2 extremes here - saying butter is not nutritious and dont bother including it in your diet. eating huge amounts of it . why cant you include it in a normal diet as a healthy fat?

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
2 extremes here - saying butter is not nutritious and dont bother including it in your diet. eating huge amounts of it . why cant you include it in a normal diet as a healthy fat?

You absolutely can and should.

In general, avoid viewing food as "superfood." Just focus on making healthier choices (= less processed) and avoiding foods you know are not good for your specific body.

There are some objectively unhealthy foods (highly processed, deep-fried in processed oils, full of added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, food coloring). Even those can be enjoyed in moderation for most people in the context of an overall healthy diet.

There are some not-quite-so-healthy foods, which are technically healthy but too processed to be REALLY healthy (instant oatmeal, white flour, some commercial dairy or farmed fish etc.). There are regular "healthy" foods which are minimally processed and have a variety of natural nutrients.

Then there are the "superfoods," which I feel people hyperfocus on. Although bone broth, ferments, grass-fed butter, organic produce, heritage grains, raw milk, antioxidant-rich berries, bee bread etc. all have certain benefits, none of them are essential. If they're easy and convenient to include in your diet great, if not, also great. Unless you have a specific health issue that requires them, you really don't NEED them and really don't need guilt for not having them.

A variety of moderately and regular healthy food will ALSO provide plenty of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. You don't need food as medicine unless you are sick. So try not to MAKE yourself sick by eating poorly, but no need to worry about using food to heal issues you don't have.

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
not only for brain.

Getting enough of all three macros is important for growth.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 7:50 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
Getting enough of all three macros is important for growth.

its not only the macro in butter but the vitamins a,d,k2.

fruit and veg which arent really macros are also important for the
vitamins and minerals.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 8:01 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:

Water is good for you.

After reading OP say:
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You really need to ask if this person is an RDN/RD (Registered Dietitian)? No RD would say this.

I have no idea what country OP is in, but if I am going to be American-centric, in this country, anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist". There are no credentials and rules as to who can use that title, and zero accountability. I can hang a shingle today and all of a sudden I too am a nutritionist. A Registered Dietitian is a protected title in America, a Masters level education at least, and has to pass national boards to practice. In addition, a RD can accept health insurance.

I wonder if this OP is the same OP who started similar threads regarding foods and if they are "nutritious". I have the same answer for this OP as I did for the other threads - go see an RD and learn about foods from the right source. Reading from a blog, hearing from this person or that person.... all it will do is give you a toxic, erroneous perception of food and health.

I learned from my RD that no foods are good or bad. Everything is good in moderation. There are better choices to make than others. For example, I personally hate the taste of any kind of oil other than canola. So I use canola and eat something in which canola was used in moderation. Today for lunch I have brown rice, salmon, and brussels sprouts. I used less than a half tsp. of canola for the salmon and veg, and I will IYH enjoy my healthy lunch. If I were to use any other kind of oil, I would not eat it at all. So what's better, the lunch with the bit of oil, or not to eat this meal at all? I bake with margarine or canola oil (depending on if the recipe calls for margarine or oil) and I don't substitute for any "healthy" option. I just eat less of it.

There is so much information out there, it's very hard to discern what is legitimate and what is not. And even with what is legitimate, what of it is really important and what is not. A lot of this information is puffed up into more than it needs to be in order to sell you products and/or get you to subscribe to classes.

OP, see an RD. Please.

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Jul 06 2022, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 8:45 am
watergirl wrote:
You really need to ask if this person is an RDN/RD (Registered Dietitian)? No RD would say this.

I have no idea what country OP is in, but if I am going to be American-centric, in this country, anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist". There are no credentials and rules as to who can use that title, and zero accountability. I can hang a shingle today and all of a sudden I too am a nutritionist. A Registered Dietitian is a protected title in America, a Masters level education at least, and has to pass national boards to practice. In addition, a RD can accept health insurance.

I wonder if this OP is the same OP who started similar threads regarding foods and if they are "nutritious". I have the same answer for this OP as I did for the other threads - go see an RD and learn about foods from the right source. Reading from a blog, hearing from this person or that person.... all it will do is give you a toxic, erroneous perception of food and health.

I learned from my RD that no foods are good or bad. Everything is good in moderation. There are better choices to make than others. For example, I personally hate the taste of any kind of oil other than canola. So I use canola and eat something in which canola was used in moderation. Today for lunch I have brown rice, salmon, and brussels sprouts. I used less than a half tsp. of canola for the salmon and veg, and I will IYH enjoy my healthy lunch. If I were to use any other kind of oil, I would not eat it at all. So what's better, the lunch with the bit of oil, or not to eat this meal at all? I bake with margarine or canola oil (depending on if the recipe calls for margarine or oil) and I don't substitute for any "healthy" option. I just eat less of it.

There is so much information out there, it's very hard to discern what is legitimate and what is not. And even with what is legitimate, what of it is really important and what is not. A lot of this information is puffed up into more than it needs to be in order to sell you products and/or get you to subscribe to classes.

OP, see an RD. Please.

Very well said.
Your RD was excellent and taught you well.
-MS, RDN

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 9:15 am
Grass fed butter is very nutritious. Both in macros (fat) and micros (minerals and fat soluble vitamins).

You’re going to be seeing a lot of conflicting information when it comes to nutrition. Good to get educated and then just ignore what you know isn’t true.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 9:18 am
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
Grass fed butter is very nutritious. Both in macros (fat) and micros (minerals and fat soluble vitamins).

You’re going to be seeing a lot of conflicting information when it comes to nutrition. Good to get educated and then just ignore what you know isn’t true.

right.

that was my original question, how a lady on a hotline can just disregard butter like that, as wont harm you but no nutrition at all.

I dont believe its considered a superfood but yes you can definitely survive without it, however I think it was quite a staple in previous generation diet.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 9:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
right.

that was my original question, how a lady on a hotline can just disregard butter like that, as wont harm you but no nutrition at all.

I dont believe its considered a superfood but yes you can definitely survive without it, however I think it was quite a staple in previous generation diet.
Ladies on hotlines can say anything. She’s clearly not informed.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 9:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
right.

It’s a lady on a hotline!!!
What are her credentials? Who is her target audience? Why is making statements at all? Who is funding her?
Why are you getting any information, be it about nutrition, vaccines, supplements, makeup/skincare or parenting in this manner. Maybe you need to re-evaluate your sources of information.
And then you are coming here, to an anonymous woman’s frum website to verify information. What are our credentials, unverified information sources, ulterior motives, and biases.

Oh sweetie!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking