Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Homemade mac n' cheese
1  2  3  Next

myomi

Post Sat, Nov 12 2005, 11:14 pm
im lookng for a good recipe to serve my hubby and son, I know a lot of ppl who just thrown cheese in with noodles, but im looking for something a bit more "complex" nothing too difficult. please share your recipes!as usual I really appreciate it!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Nov 12 2005, 11:33 pm
I've added cheese and tuna to the pot and it's a good meal!
I also once made a saucy pasta and cheese...I'll try to find the recipe....
ah! here it is!

Creamy Mac and Cheese

1 (7 oz) pkg elbow macaroni
1/4 c butter
6 Tbsp flour
2 c milk
2 c grated sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz)

Cook mac in boiling water until done; drain. Place in 1 quart casserole. Put butter in and mix well.
Blend in flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Stir in cheese utnil completely melted. Stir sauce into drained macaroni, mixing well. Microwave at medium high 7-10 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. Makes 6-8 servings.

Actually, I printed that recipe out, but I didn't make it - I just realized. Smile Let me know if you make it and if it comes out good! here's the one I made! Also got online.

2 T. butter
2 T. flour
salt and pepper
1 c. milk
3 oz American, Velveeta cheese or any flaor desired
8 oz of pasta, cooked al dente and drained

Melt butter over medium heat and stir in flour, making a rue. Add milk with a wire whisk and continue cooking until thickened. Add salt and pepper, then cheese. Stir until cheese is completely melted (being careful not to burn it!), then pour over hot pasta and serve.

shanie5

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 9:17 am
I just toss cheese in. but I use the shredded mozarella and cheddar mix. everybody loves that one. so why bother with more work?

I use the same cheese on homemade pizza.

happymom

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 9:41 am
this is fattening but a delicious pasta sauce. my husband loves it:

put all these ingredients in a pot over low flame:

2 tbs corn starch
3/4 cup milk
2 cloves garlic minced
1/3 cup grated cheese
2 0r 3 tbs cream cheese
dash of salt and pepper
1 tsp dry basil

pour over pasta

its really yummy!!!

lucky

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 10:30 am
My version of mac & cheese is quite different.

instead of hard cheese, I add cottage cheese and a bit of sugar to cooked elbow macaroni. Sometimes I even use fat free cottage cheese.

Yosefa

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 10:42 am
I like to add olives or frozen peas. Mac n' Cheese is my favorite food, so I like to keep a variety of cheeses in the house.

I use milk, margarine or butter, cream cheese, cheddar, mozzerella, yogert herb cheese, havarti or dill havarti... If your missing any of the ingredients it's still delicious.

I like to make lasagne with low fat cottage cheese, spinach, grilled zuchini...

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 10:54 am
Yosefa, sounds yummy! you just add the different types of cheeses to the drained mac? I don't know if I've even ever tasted some of those cheeses!

myomi

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 11:42 am
yosefa,can you please post the recipes you use for the lasagna and the mac and cheese?thanks

Yosefa

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 12:53 pm
Hmm... recipes, well I'm sort of a non recipe person, I never make the same thing twice. It's sort of a trial and error thing. I make it a lot when we travel because you can make it in an electric hot pot and cheese stays nicely in a cooler. I just put the pasta back in the pot and if everything doesn't melt nicely I turn the heat on low, but then milk is more important. Cream cheese makes it nice and creamy and Havarti is also a nice soft cheese. American is nice for a creamy consistancy and you could use cottage cheese also.

I make a lot of different lasagnes. If I'm out of noodles I take squash or zuccini or something starchy, thinly slice it and grill it. Then I layer it with sauce and or tomatoes and whatever else I have. I like to use spinach, fake meat, mushrooms... whatever I have and then just bake it and let some cheese get crispy on top.

I don't know if that helped, but I encourage you to be daring. I just don't let people watch me cook because then they don't want to eat it, but then my husband always says, "Wow, this is delisious, what is it?"

supermom

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 5:09 am
I use my grandmothers recipe.

Sour cream, milk, a lot of butter, cheese, salt, pepper.

Easy and delicious.

su7kids

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 3:53 pm
I make a white sauce for the cheese:

1 table spoon of marg or butter, melted
turn off fire
stir in 1 table spoon of flour
then slowly add about 1 - 2 cups of milk
put the fire back on low
stir constantly and after it begins to boil, it will thicken

when its thicker, add the grated cheese (shredded) and 1 tablespoon of MUSTARD and a shredded/ground/pureed tomato.

Then mix in the cooked noodles.

This is a small recipe, so enlarge it for the size of your family.

Its basically a "white sauce" with cheese, mustard and tomato added.

Oh, then bake about 325 for about 30 minutes, covered if you don't like it crisp on the top, uncovered if you do.

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 4:53 pm
Quote:
macaroni and cheese is one of the most popular--if not the most popular--American comfort foods. Nearly every soul food cookbook and many Southern cookbooks have recipes for the American favorite, with few differences from one to the next.

wow!

I've been making my recipe for ages and wanted a change, so I made the recipe from Heimishe Kitchen 2 (green book) which says to add a chopped onion.

It was good. My husband liked the cheesiness but thought it was over-all somewhat bland.

I'm still looking for a mac and cheese recipe that's traditional but has some zip. Maybe the Tbls of mustard su7kids mentioned will do the trick.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 4:55 pm
Did you eat school lunch at BYA shanie 5? I really liked the cook's mac. Don't think it had cheese though. What made it so good? She had big trays of it and I went back for more!

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 4:57 pm
I love mac n' cheese!

I make it with american cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Sometimes I'll also add in mozzarella and/or chedder.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 5:18 pm
wish I could just buy the sauce/powder.....

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 5:21 pm
I LOVE the mac n' cheese with the powder! I know, it's terrible for you, but it's so good. I like adding extra cheese, sour cream, and salsa to that too. When I lose 5 more pounds maybe I'll celebrate with that!

MyKidsRQte

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 10:37 pm
my mac 'n cheese is simple but great

cook a box of macaroni
drain , and add

1 15oz can tomato sauce
oregano
and a package of mehadrin doubleblend shredded cheese

cook and mix till cheese is melted

withhumor

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 5:53 pm
HELP! After nearly 30 years of age, I have discovered a new dish in my life, it’s called “macaroni and Cheese”. I grew up in a very Hungarian family, my mother never even cooked pasta! It was always hearty healthy meals, and you stuffed yourself because you have to ‘be able to grow’ !

Anyway, I discovered 6 packs of pasta in my kitchen cabinets… can you imagine what was for dinner? Too bad 1 pack was only enough my kids! I want more…………………………………. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Tongue Out

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 7:57 pm
wow! don't you live in america ... okay me and my kids don't really like it - most people make with american cheese ... we have our own version with sauce and mozzerella cheese and lots of pepper garlic and oregano ... some people also put cottage cheese with cinnamon and sugar ... since you have 6 bags you might need the variety anyway ...

bashinda

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 8:07 pm
greenfire wrote:
wow! don't you live in america ... okay me and my kids don't really like it - most people make with american cheese ... we have our own version with sauce and mozzerella cheese and lots of pepper garlic and oregano ... some people also put cottage cheese with cinnamon and sugar ... since you have 6 bags you might need the variety anyway ...

can you post recipe? sounds more like baked ziti
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals