Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Ear Tubes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 11:51 am
We got a hearing test done for my toddler because we are trying to get her EI services, and that is part of the procedure. I was surprised that she failed the hearing test and we were told she needs ear tubes due to fluid in her ears because she never had an ear infection or showed signs of hearing loss. She was always able to hear low sounds and whispering...
When they put the tubes in, the doctor mentioned there was not a lot of fluid there. (Apparently there was more fluid by the original appointment).

After the tubes, we noticed that she doesn't raise her voice as much when she speaks, and she is able to whisper- she was not able to whisper beforehand.

Has anyone ever had this experience? She is going for another hearing test and I am wondering if I should be concerned that she will not pass again, and perhaps the issue had nothing to do with ear tubes?

amother
White

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 12:00 pm
Doesn’t that mean that she can hear better now?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 12:07 pm
My son got tubes around 2 1/2 yrs old. He also never had ear infections and seemed to hear soft sounds BUT he was very speech delayed and when they went to put the tubes in the surgeon said what he found was more gelatinous than fluid. After tubes he was more sensitive to loud noises and speech slowly started coming. What they explained to me is that it's not that he couldn't hear people talking before, but it was garbled - like people talking to you when you're under water. Anyhow, his hearing went from 33% to almost 100%. Don't know if any of this helps.

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 12:12 pm
Loud talking and not being able to whisper, is a sign of hearing loss. So if she's not talking as loud as before and she's able to whisper, it means that she can hear better & the tubes are working and doing their job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics