Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
No toys (almost) what do kids do-update pg 6
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:01 pm
OP, I feel your pain. Summer is exhausting.
But here's the thing: I'm assuming your daughter goes to camp. She should be happy being home too, and I'm afraid that without enough toys, she won't be.

mha3484

Do you have a back yard or a park nearby? My kids scooter, segway, play with dirt, run up and down the sidewalk racing each other, we have cozy coupe cars. Lots to do without toys but you would have to sit out there with her or hire someone. Sidewalk chalk is another fun one. You can buy a hula hoop.

Last edited by mha3484 on Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
Do the same with those toys keep them and give her one at a time. She’ll handle that change better than no toys at all.

She plays with multiple toys at once and gets attached to her play and doesn't want it cleaned up. She gives me a really hard time.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:04 pm
Sorry op. This is really unfair to your child. There has got to be a more balanced approach.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:04 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Do you have a back yard or a park nearby? My kids scooter, segway, play with dirt, run up and down the sidewalk racing each other, we have cozy coupe cars. Lots to do without toys but you would have to sit out there with her or hire someone.

We have a yard and a deck and 2 neighbors. She has a scooter and a bike. We also have bubbles and chalk. The only thing she really plays with is the scooter.

I see you edited your post.

Been thinking of getting her a hula hoop. We also have balls and jump rope.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:06 pm
I will play games like red light green light, simon says, mother may I from when I was a kid in the 80s. The kids love it.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:07 pm
Literally the only thing a kid that age can do without making a mess is screen time. I ask my kid not play in his room in the early morn (which is also the toy room) because his sister is still sleeping. He makes a mess in the main room instead. Coloring, makers, stickers, plastic forks spoons knives straws lots of food.. every morning another creative mess greets me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:07 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
Send her outside with chalk , bubbles, sprinkler, jump rope, ball, hopscotch

I should take out the sprinkler. Yes! Was thinking to plant with her. She wasn't too excited. Sometimes she plays with the weather hose herself or with some neighbors.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:13 pm
1 toy at a time seems more realistic. Then she can’t have another until that one is all cleared up. She’ll get used to it.

amother
Aster

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She plays with multiple toys at once and gets attached to her play and doesn't want it cleaned up. She gives me a really hard time.

I think that you can make a system. Lets say dolls are always out & then she can have the mentchies plus a building toy like lego or magna tiles. Lock up the rest of the toys and she can't get a new toy, till the other toys are cleaned up. This is what I do & it's been working well for years now.
Playmobil I only allow without other toys because the pieces get lost fast.
Have you tried cleaning up together with her? It's a bit much to expect a 6 year old to clean up by herself.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:16 pm
But it is necessary to be prepared for indoor time.

amother
Aster

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:18 pm
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
1 toy at a time seems more realistic. Then she can’t have another until that one is all cleared up. She’ll get used to it.

It's very hard to play with one toy at a time. Some toys, like mentcheis or blocks & building toys, need to go together with another toy.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Must the toys get cleaned up every night? My kids do the same thing and I just leave the toys for them to continue playing the next morning. We clean up once a week in honor of Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:25 pm
I think my expectations were too high when I posted! To actually expect ppl to answer the question!! 😂

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:31 pm
OP I used to have the same issue as you. I switched my system. I can’t get rid of toys unless I am willing to be outdoors until bedtime, and then what happens if it rains?

What I did was I got a few large cloth bins from ikea. One for magnatiles, one for playmobil, one for large-ish cars and trucks, one for dress up and one for books.

All other toys are locked in a closet to be rotated. Including books besides for what fits in the bin at one time.

I do allow them to unpack as many toys as they want on the condition that they will clean it up, either with my help or with whichever friend they played with. It’s too overwhelming for my kids to clean up by themselves.

What we do is we line the bins up and just quickly throw the toys into the correct ones. Because the bins are larger than the amount of toys it holds it’s a fairly easy process. Because they don’t have access to more than 3-4 bins at a time, it doesn’t get out of control.

I do have craft supplies as well as activities for outdoors but unfortunately I can’t spend all of my time outdoors. We also take plenty of trips whenever possible.

mizle10

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think my expectations were too high when I posted! To actually expect ppl to answer the question!! 😂

When you find an exciting kid friendly non messy self cleaning no screen indoor toy please let all of us know 😂

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:46 pm
mizle10 wrote:
When you find an exciting kid friendly non messy self cleaning no screen indoor toy please let all of us know 😂

Water play
Chalk
Jump rope
Balls
Swimming
Planting
Crafts with one type of thing at a time
Books/reading
Writing letters
Calling up Bubby

Mail

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:50 pm
Childrens story CD's. My kids love it!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:51 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
OP I used to have the same issue as you. I switched my system. I can’t get rid of toys unless I am willing to be outdoors until bedtime, and then what happens if it rains?

What I did was I got a few large cloth bins from ikea. One for magnatiles, one for playmobil, one for large-ish cars and trucks, one for dress up and one for books.

I do allow them to unpack as many toys as they want on the condition that they will clean it up, either with my help or with whichever friend they played with. It’s too overwhelming for my kids to clean up by themselves.

What we do is we line the bins up and just quickly throw the toys into the correct ones. Because the bins are larger than the amount of toys it holds it’s a fairly easy process. Because they don’t have access to more than 3-4 bins at a time, it doesn’t get out of control.

This is kind of what I'm doing.

Leaving out only a few toys. That is very few toys. I plan to have at least that at all times. Books, games, Lego, a few dolls and doll carriage, dress up I keep in another room. Play dough maybe too. She has craft books and markers and crayons accessible and I give her paper whenever she wants. But that is very minimum.

Looking for things for her to do outside of this.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Water play
Chalk
Jump rope
Balls
Swimming
Planting
Crafts with one type of thing at a time
Books/reading
Writing letters
Calling up Bubby

She said indoors. Calling a grandparent takes five minutes tops and I save reading time for shabbos afternoon or any other time I absolutely need quiet. My kids won’t read all day every day. Plus if you had this list why ask us?
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics