Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do children write their (nick)name on school papers?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 9:52 pm
For those who have children named, say, shoshana, Shifra, Eliana, rochel, but the children are called shani, shiffy, lani, rochi- how do they write their name for their Hebrew classes? Do they write their full name? Or שני, שפי, לני, רחי? Those just look strange to me, but I also know how annoying it is when teachers call you a name by which no else refers to you! (Asking because I have a daughter with such a name) thanks!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:15 pm
My girls write their names like they're called. I think all girls do that.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:20 pm
My son writes his nickname

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:27 pm
They write their nickname not their full name.

snailmail

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 11:36 am
I encourage my childrent to write their full hebrew name, not their nickname. School application forms also has entry for full english name, full hebrew name and name child is known by. It is important for the child to know their full name. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that is what I encourage.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 11:38 am
Every project my son shmuel came home with said Shmuli. I call him shmuel more but I guess he told his morahs he wants to be shmuli.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 11:42 am
My name that everyone always calls me is a nickname and I really did not enjoy navigating all of this when I was a kid (or even now, professionally). This is why for my kids, we don't let any of their nicknames stick to the level that it would feel weird when their write their actual names on their school papers.

But to your question, they should write the name that people call them on their papers. If they are never ever called by their proper name by anyone who knows them, then the nickname is what they should write on their papers.

I'm a teacher and if the girl is called "Chani" when I call on her, then I like to see "Chani" on her papers.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 12:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For those who have children named, say, shoshana, Shifra, Eliana, rochel, but the children are called shani, shiffy, lani, rochi- how do they write their name for their Hebrew classes? Do they write their full name? Or שני, שפי, לני, רחי? Those just look strange to me, but I also know how annoying it is when teachers call you a name by which no else refers to you! (Asking because I have a daughter with such a name) thanks!

Most kids do write their full names so they should know how to spell it and write it in the future. Like we have a Bassheva she writes it בתשבע although she is mainly called Shevy.
Btw Shiffy is שיפי

amother
Firethorn

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 2:05 pm
My son (older and out of school now) is still called his nickname and he always wrote it on his paper, both for Hebrew and English.

My youngest has a "different" nickname that I am not sure will stick throughout school. She's still in preschool. The teacher was teaching name awareness and recognition, so wanted to know how she should show her her name. We agreed her nickname in English but full name in Hebrew.

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 2:09 pm
I don't think it's strange.
And it's שיפי and רוחי

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 2:34 pm
As a teacher, my experience is that in English they write their nickname and in Hebrew 90% of them write their full names even if they’re called a nickname. Most Hebrew teachers still call them the preferred nickname though, and no one will make a fuss if the kid prefers to write her nickname in Hebrew too

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 2:46 pm
Definitely can write out nickname in Hebrew as well. We do. For boys and girls.

Btw, for those who “corrected” the OP:

Rochi (litvish havara) is spelled רחי as OP wrote it.
Ruchi (chassidish havara) is/can be spelled רוחי.

Shifi can and actually it is more proper to spell as שפי as OP wrote it, because שפרה has no Yud after the Shin. Many just spell it שיפי as they like the look better.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 3:11 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Every project my son shmuel came home with said Shmuli. I call him shmuel more but I guess he told his morahs he wants to be shmuli.

Ha! That happened to my shmuel! He came home from pre1a with the nickname shmulik!

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:37 pm
My daughter always wrote Yocheved on her papers even though she's called Chevy because written in Hebrew it would say - כבי
Kabi = extinguish (the candle)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children