Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Have you had a hard time finding a speech therapist?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 2:57 pm
Hi,
For those who have found a SLP for your child in NYC, how did you go about doing it? The DOE wasn’t helpful.

(Answer even if you’re not in nyc!)

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 3:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
For those who have found a SLP for your child in NYC, how did you go about doing it? The DOE wasn’t helpful.

(Answer even if you’re not in nyc!)

Yes I had a hard time, no I didn't find someone.
Are you talking about for the past year or for the current year?
Was the school not helpful at all?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 3:39 pm
Brooklyn College has an amazing speech center that is very affordable.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 4:04 pm
Who did you contact to try to get one?

amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:
Yes I had a hard time, no I didn't find someone.
Are you talking about for the past year or for the current year?
Was the school not helpful at all?

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 4:47 pm
As an SLP in NYC, I can tell you that there did a huge shortage of speech therapists. I literally get calls and texts and emails every day with job offers. The school I work in had many students who did not get speech this past year because there were not enough therapists.

I agree with the suggestion to try a graduate school clinic. If you don't want Brooklyn College you can also try Touro. Or you can call a center like Omni and try to book now for next year, if you can take your child after school

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 4:54 pm
You said not NYC too but my kids school has a speech therapist that they work with. She will either bill your insurance or you can pay her cash. She has a therapist under her also. Its extremely convenient. I always wondered why other schools dont do similar.

I also really liked the second therapist, was my sons reading group teacher. I assume for some extra money but she worked with the weaker boys and my son made huge progress with her.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 5:19 pm
If you are in NYC and your child is under cpse , email terrance Walsh and threaten an impartial hearing if your child doesn't begin receiving services and demand summer services as well.
After that, look up every single agency in your boro and ask if they have availability

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 5:33 pm
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
If you are in NYC and your child is under cpse , email terrance Walsh and threaten an impartial hearing if your child doesn't begin receiving services and demand summer services as well.
After that, look up every single agency in your boro and ask if they have availability

Of course she should email and advocate for her child. But demanding it won't get you anywhere if there are not enough therapists. The DOE cannot create speech therapists out of air. There are hundreds and hundreds of children throughout the city not getting therapy. Like I said, I literally receive calls and texts and emails daily with urgent requests for speech therapists.

I agree with calling every possible agency and center and clinic and seeing if they have any availability.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 5:38 pm
As a school based SLP practicing for almost 20 years, I can tell you that there is a huge shortage. Please do your research before schlepping your child to a clinic. You don’t want to waste your time. I feel terrible for all of the children that did not receive services this year. Every therapist that I know is stretched to the max. The truth is, the schooling is long and expensive and the reimbursement rates have not increased for as long as I have been in the field.
Best of luck to you!

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 5:42 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
As a school based SLP practicing for almost 20 years, I can tell you that there is a huge shortage. Please do your research before schlepping your child to a clinic. You don’t want to waste your time. I feel terrible for all of the children that did not receive services this year. Every therapist that I know is stretched to the max. The truth is, the schooling is long and expensive and the reimbursement rates have not increased for as long as I have been in the field.
Best of luck to you!
Wow so much for it being a flooded field. If you had to choose would you do it again?

scientist

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:37 pm
OP, is this CSE or CPSE?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 7:33 pm
CSE

quote="scientist"]OP, is this CSE or CPSE?[/quote]

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 7:45 pm
There are alot of issues...
Many stopped working due to the vaccine mandate and many won't work for the low rate the DOE is offering. They haven't raised the rate in decades. Its not worth it for many to take on RSA cases. Some have gone on to specialize so they can charge a fee commensurate with the amount of schooling. Also, the younger generation is getting degrees in special ed/BCBA more often because the pay is so much higher which also increases the shortage.
Personally, I opened a private practice and haven't looked back.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 7:48 pm
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:
Wow so much for it being a flooded field. If you had to choose would you do it again?

NOT speech. The money is so bad and the paperwork isnt great either.
I would have done nursing or PT or SEIT. SEITS get paid the same as me... and my masters was 90k and 5 years of intense schooling... pathetic. I hate my job

So many kids in my school did not receive therapy this year.

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 7:58 pm
I'm a private SLP in bklyn. Started doing it this way when I needed more flexible hours and didn't want to give percentage to an agency. Plus the paperwork in some settings started getting out of hand. Ppl will probably start paying out of pocket if they really want to get serviced.

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 8:27 pm
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:

No no no no!!!!
There is literally nothing positive about the job. The schooling is long, intense, difficult and expensive. The job is so draining. I need to do 60+ sessions a week in order to somewhat make a decent salary. No raises ever, no paid vacation, no benefits. And for all of you who are gonna say, so switch to public school, well that wouldn't help all the Jewish kids who need therapy!
And I agree that the paperwork is out of hand. It's not normal how much time I need to spend at home for this job. Literally every evening, fridays/sundays, and I even spend my maternity leave and summers catching up on paperwork!
Unless the agencies step up their game, the shortage is just going to get worse and worse. I know so many therapists who are leaving the field. I wish I had the courage to leave, but I'm the type who will stay in a miserable situation rather than have to change to something new

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 8:30 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
There are alot of issues...
Many stopped working due to the vaccine mandate and many won't work for the low rate the DOE is offering. They haven't raised the rate in decades. Its not worth it for many to take on RSA cases. Some have gone on to specialize so they can charge a fee commensurate with the amount of schooling. Also, the younger generation is getting degrees in special ed/BCBA more often because the pay is so much higher which also increases the shortage.
Personally, I opened a private practice and haven't looked back.

Yes it's crazy that special ed makes more than us. Their schooling is half the time and half the price. and the job overall is easier because their caseloads are smaller (because each student gets longer blocks of time). So while I have to manage a caseload of 25+ students, a P3 or SEIT might have about 7. Which is a lot less prep and a lot less paperwork and a lot less parents to be in contact with

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 8:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Who did you contact to try to get one?

The contact at board of Ed in my district.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 8:31 pm
amother [ Maple ] wrote:

Do these agencies come down to you?

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 8:33 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Best of luck to you!

Yup. Been there done that and I agree.
Although I went To a clinic with insurance I was hoping my cpse would pan out.p
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics