Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Turtles and salmonella?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:54 pm
We recently were given a turtle and my children are overjoyed. How worried do I need to be about salmonella? They will wash their hands after playing with it, but do I need to disinfect every toy and doorknob they touch on their way to washing their hands? I’m the anxious type about these things 🙈 I’m kind of freaking out and want to pass on the turtle already!

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:58 pm
Oh goodness
good to know
my brother just got a turtle and my baby has been crawling next to it the past few days

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 7:03 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
Oh goodness
good to know
my brother just got a turtle and my baby has been crawling next to it the past few days

My purpose was not to scare you, sorry! I’m just the stressed type with germs and stuff. And I’m pregnant now so it’s another added layer of vulnerability…

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 7:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My purpose was not to scare you, sorry! I’m just the stressed type with germs and stuff. And I’m pregnant now so it’s another added layer of vulnerability…

No its fine Im not really the worried type but I just texted my brother about the link between turtles and salmonella... waiting to hear his response lol

its the most random pet ever
its not like you can cuddle with it!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 7:18 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
No its fine Im not really the worried type but I just texted my brother about the link between turtles and salmonella... waiting to hear his response lol

its the most random pet ever
its not like you can cuddle with it!

So true lol
My kids are so happy with it though! We tried a couple different cuddly pets and they usually are very messy, so I like how a turtle is really quite contained and easy!

One of my kids really could use a pet therapeutically, so I want to make this work…

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 10:09 pm
Hmm, I thought turtles were outlawed as pets because of the salmonella issue. Don't sneeze at it; salmonella can be life-threatening, esp. for the very young and very old. I would get rid of the turtle, myself.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 11:28 pm
What's the difference between turtles carrying salmonella vs any other animal?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets