Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Maternity and Nursing Clothing Experience
1  2  Next

smolka613

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 6:22 pm
This isn't a post asking for suggestions on tznius maternity and nursing clothes.

Rather, I'm interested in hearing about other mothers' experiences shopping for and finding such clothes. Did you have a hard time finding them? What did you end up wearing during pregnancy and/or breastfeeding? Did you feel comfortable? What do you wish was on the market now?

Thanks!
Very Happy

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 6:31 pm
Designers/manufacturers don't pay attention to what is slimming for someone who is bottom heavy with hips and backside. We want flattering, to look good, while being stylish. There's enough trendy items out there - yuck they aren't flattering and don't last.
I didn't buy special nursing clothes. I just wore 2 pieces instead of dresses.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 9:56 pm
I think there aren't enough clothing that are properly fitted for people that DO fit into normal clothes and don't want big baggy stuff, and want easy access for nursing.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 10:03 pm
Had the hardest time ever for nursing. Maternity less but the mom tax is difficult.

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 10:26 pm
Maternity and nursing being lumped into one garment like it's some huge perk.
When I'm no longer a balloon I don't want to wear oversized sacks
And if I'm pregnant then I'm not nursing!!

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:10 pm
ARGH Thanks for asking this question. It's been extremely frustrating finding maternity clothes. I live out of town with no maternity store, and online frum options are sooo limited. Online reg options are so hard to find these days (unless you want dresses I guess)

Survived this pregnancy in plus size clothing. At least the tops are longer. So many maternity tops, even frum ones, are not long enough to cover.

Was excited to get new stuff but ended up wearing mostly same stuff from last pregnancy as NOTHING was working.

Are you looking to start a maternity brand or store? please think of your oot sisters!

I think nursing clothes are weird- who wants a random opening in their shirt? But maybe that's just me...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:15 pm
Very hard to find things in petite sizes. I don't mean skinny necessarily but for those of us who are short and don't want a long maternity shirt fitting like a tunic. The frum world has many short women, I don't know why they don't make petite sizes at all.

cookiewriter

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:35 pm
Just had a baby three months ago. Basically no maternity stores anymore online. There used to be tons. Now I’m nursing. It’s even harder. Everything today is maxi dresses no buttons or zippers
And.I Live in bklyn

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:44 pm
Maternity tops aren’t nursing tops and Vice versa!! It’s two separate categories! I never understood why companies lump them together.

I had a maternity top that didn’t really take me till the end of my pregnancy fitting nicely so I thought hey great I’ll wear it after birth. I put it on the first shabbos only to find that I looked like a deflated balloon in it. And it had way too much material that just got in the way when nursing.

Frum nursing tops and dresses that have that extra panel on top of just the bust are IMO awful. Why does anyone need to know that you’re wearing a nursing friendly dress?

I wear regular clothing when I’m nursing. Just no dresses, and no tops far aren’t stretchy enough to lift up.

Are you starting a new clothing line op?

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:48 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
ARGH Thanks for asking this question. It's been extremely frustrating finding maternity clothes. I live out of town with no maternity store, and online frum options are sooo limited. Online reg options are so hard to find these days (unless you want dresses I guess)

Survived this pregnancy in plus size clothing. At least the tops are longer. So many maternity tops, even frum ones, are not long enough to cover.

Was excited to get new stuff but ended up wearing mostly same stuff from last pregnancy as NOTHING was working.

Are you looking to start a maternity brand or store? please think of your oot sisters!

I think nursing clothes are weird- who wants a random opening in their shirt? But maybe that's just me...

Me!
I love dresses and nurse on the go, anywhere and everywhere.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:50 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Just had a baby three months ago. Basically no maternity stores anymore online. There used to be tons. Now I’m nursing. It’s even harder. Everything today is maxi dresses no buttons or zippers
And.I Live in bklyn

I can't do buttons.
Like another poster wrote, I'm petite, so if I buy a bigger size its just huge, but buttons pop, especially when it's time to nurse Hiding

HonesttoGod

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:52 pm
Flattering nursing tops. Or dresses since they’re in - but nursing accessible. Doesn’t exist and it makes me so frustrated.

amother
Canary

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:52 pm
I had it pretty easy. Found tons of cute high waist maternity dresses online. As die nursing I just wear tops and skirts and just lift up the tops to nurse. I do have lots of unworn stuff in my closet that are not able to je lifted up easily

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:56 pm
My ideal would be a front zipper dress that also has a built in Dickie that goes from neck to tops of breasts. Or a dress with an opening across the waist to be pulled up that is well hidden by a built in belt.

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:35 am
I love my high-panel maternity skirts. Not the ones with different "belly" colors (weird) but ones with a stretchy waist that I can pull over the bump. That way the too-short maternity shirts (I.e. almost all of them) don't leave me exposing half of my belly to my kids.

I HATE all nursing and maternity clothing that is not stretchy. I'm uncomfortable enough in my skin as it is sometimes, I REALLY don't need constricting clothing making things worse.

My favorite maternity shirts are swing-top style, normal fit on top but with a looser bottom. I find that if they are cut right I can wear them for nursing too without looking ridiculous. I avoid the ones with a clear defining line between breast and bump, it doesn't feel terribly tznius to me.

I dislike nursing-specific clothing because although it provides relatively easy nursing ACCESS, it makes it much more difficult to put myself back together afterwards, tucking parts back in and smoothing flaps so I don't accidentally flash the world. Loose shirts work much more easily for me. Wearing them with a high-waist skirt is even better, because then I have the 360 coverage without a nursing cover (which my babies tend to hate).

I have basically been nursing without a break for the past decade and a half so I don't wear dresses. I once tried a nursing dress but found it too annoying compared to the ease of a top and skirt.

smolka613

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 9:23 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Very hard to find things in petite sizes. I don't mean skinny necessarily but for those of us who are short and don't want a long maternity shirt fitting like a tunic. The frum world has many short women, I don't know why they don't make petite sizes at all.

I'm also petite and I had soo much trouble finding any clothing. Maternity was so difficult and nursing was near impossible to find, so I started making my own clothing. I was interested in seeing what other mothers experienced because I personally think there needs to be more on the market.

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 11:30 am
I'll echo what others said about:

1. Maternity and nursing are not the same thing at all (both ways – I don't want extra panels when I'm pregnant, and I don't want extra bulk when I'm not)
and
2. Wanting a bit more creativity than sticking on a stupid panel and calling it a day (it's both not super tznius and it's just ugly)

I'll also add that:

1. I want to look good but I mostly just want to be comfortable. That means breathable fabrics. And not having to wear a shell underneath because then what's the point? Too many layers and tucking things back in and lifting things up etc.

2. Hava Tribe had the BEST stuff and I'm devastated that they closed down. If you're asking because you're starting your own line, please talk to her and maybe even buy her patterns.
She used a lot of invisible zippers – in the darts, not the sides! – so everything looked normal but it's also SO easy to nurse in them.
A lot of the dresses I try have openings on the side and it's the biggest pain to get the opening all the way around, it makes it hard to nurse discreetly, and it's just not comfortable either.

3. I don't like buttons or zipper openings from the neck because they're not very tznius. No cover stays up all the way until the neck. And if I'm home with my kids I don't want them seeing that much.
(I also don't like the look of buttons on me, but that's a different story.)

4. I hate paying a lot for clothing. I understand though that this is a niche industry so I'll do it anyway. What I do ask is that if I'm shelling out hundred(s) for a dress, I need to love it and it needs to last.

What has worked well for me is to get long sleeve shirts and sweaters that have tznius necks and wearing a tank top underneath. Shirt goes up, tank goes down, shalom al yisrael.

But there's something so nice about just putting on one dress and done. Especially in the summer.

(I also wish shell manufacturers would make nursing friendly shells because then I could wear things with shells and do away with the tank tops – tank tops AND a shell is just too many layers. When I requested this, I was told that they already make these cut off and that should be good. But I don't just need access, I need my stomach covered while I lift my shirt! I need something with a slit across the middle, not just something that ends in the middle.)

smolka613

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:14 pm
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
I'll echo what others said about:

1. Maternity and nursing are not the same thing at all (both ways – I don't want extra panels when I'm pregnant, and I don't want extra bulk when I'm not)
and
2. Wanting a bit more creativity than sticking on a stupid panel and calling it a day (it's both not super tznius and it's just ugly)

I'll also add that:

1. I want to look good but I mostly just want to be comfortable. That means breathable fabrics. And not having to wear a shell underneath because then what's the point? Too many layers and tucking things back in and lifting things up etc.

2. Hava Tribe had the BEST stuff and I'm devastated that they closed down. If you're asking because you're starting your own line, please talk to her and maybe even buy her patterns.
She used a lot of invisible zippers – in the darts, not the sides! – so everything looked normal but it's also SO easy to nurse in them.
A lot of the dresses I try have openings on the side and it's the biggest pain to get the opening all the way around, it makes it hard to nurse discreetly, and it's just not comfortable either.

3. I don't like buttons or zipper openings from the neck because they're not very tznius. No cover stays up all the way until the neck. And if I'm home with my kids I don't want them seeing that much.
(I also don't like the look of buttons on me, but that's a different story.)

4. I hate paying a lot for clothing. I understand though that this is a niche industry so I'll do it anyway. What I do ask is that if I'm shelling out hundred(s) for a dress, I need to love it and it needs to last.

What has worked well for me is to get long sleeve shirts and sweaters that have tznius necks and wearing a tank top underneath. Shirt goes up, tank goes down, shalom al yisrael.

But there's something so nice about just putting on one dress and done. Especially in the summer.

(I also wish shell manufacturers would make nursing friendly shells because then I could wear things with shells and do away with the tank tops – tank tops AND a shell is just too many layers. When I requested this, I was told that they already make these cut off and that should be good. But I don't just need access, I need my stomach covered while I lift my shirt! I need something with a slit across the middle, not just something that ends in the middle.)

Why did Hava Tribe close down?

fiji

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 1:15 pm
Nursing tops that have enough room in the chest!! I balloon up to like a 40 h while nursing and impossible to find any tops that fit in the body With enough room in the chest!

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 1:24 pm
smolka613 wrote:
I'm also petite and I had soo much trouble finding any clothing. Maternity was so difficult and nursing was near impossible to find, so I started making my own clothing. I was interested in seeing what other mothers experienced because I personally think there needs to be more on the market.
maybe start a new line! I personally loved my high waisted dresses that had the tiered bottom. It worked well for maternity without having these maternity side panels ans seams and could technically work for after also. Problem is that I’m nursing and it’s a pull over the head type of dress so I’m not wearing them. It would be amazing if there’s a zipper that you could kind of separate the top and bottom
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics