Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Baby things - are these important/necessary?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:38 pm
Hi experienced Imas,

I've gone bare bones in the past but am wondering if I should get anything outside of the pack and play (use it instead of a crib), car seat, click in stroller, sheets for the pack and play, clothes, diapers, wipes, and nursing accessories... Are the below necessary in your experience? Or are they very helpful?

Not our first rodeo but wondering if things would be significantly easier and more convenient if we did get any of the below.

Thank you!

Diaper pail with refillable diaper bags (used bread bags/shopping bags in the past, but now shopping bags aren't free anyway)
baby monitor (first time with a baby in a house with 3 floors)
rocking chair
free standing high chair (not one that buckles onto a regular chair)
small floor infant bouncer (have a plug in full standing one that doesn't move around, would you recommend the $20-30 for a small one that I can move around the house with me?
new nursing pump (old one works when I plug it in - but it's around 12 years old... Wouldn't be free for me, insurance has a hefty copay. Any reason to definitely get a new one?)

Please add your 2 cents - if there's anything else you would strongly recommend. Thank you!

hodeez

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:42 pm
Never had any of the extras you named. Less gadgets, more burp cloths, sheets, and clothes

hodeez

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:43 pm
Oh wait I did have a swing for a couple of months that was helpful. Now I have a mobile in baby's crib that helps him fall asleep.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi experienced Imas,

I've gone bare bones in the past but am wondering if I should get anything outside of the pack and play (use it instead of a crib), car seat, click in stroller, sheets for the pack and play, clothes, diapers, wipes, and nursing accessories... Are the below necessary in your experience? Or are they very helpful?

Not our first rodeo but wondering if things would be significantly easier and more convenient if we did get any of the below.

Thank you!

Diaper pail with refillable diaper bags (used bread bags/shopping bags in the past, but now shopping bags aren't free anyway)
rocking chair
small floor infant bouncer (have a plug in full standing one that doesn't move around, would you recommend the $20-30 for a small one that I can move around the house with me?
new nursing pump (old one works when I plug it in - but it's around 12 years old... Wouldn't be free for me, insurance has a hefty copay. Any reason to definitely get a new one?)

Please add your 2 cents - if there's anything else you would strongly recommend. Thank you!

I don't have a diaper pail, a rocking chair, a bouncer or swing.

I would like a rocking chair for nursing, but no room for it.

#BestBubby

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:47 pm
Baby monitor - definitely

amother
Jasmine

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi experienced Imas,

Thank you!

No

Major yes!

rocking chair
Yes

No

No

new nursing pump (old one works when I plug it in - but it's around 12 years old... Wouldn't be free for me, insurance has a hefty copay. Any reason to definitely get a new one?
Not sure I never nursed

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:51 pm
After seeing how insanely delayed my sweet nephew is I cannot shout enough to get rid of the baby seats! The swings, bumbos and bouncers. That baby was kept in his seat all day long and didn't move his entire first year.

A blanket on the floor is cheaper and a million times healthier.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi experienced Imas,

Thank you!

rocking chair

Aren’t all insurances required now to give a free pump? If yours is 12 years old the motor will definitely not be as strong as it once was.

None of the above are necessary. A rocking chair is nice

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi experienced Imas,

Thank you!

rocking chair

I love my Ubbi diaper pail that uses regular tall kitchen garbage bags.

I love and constantly use my baby monitor in our 3 story house (not a fancy one. Just basic 1 way sound is enough)

Never got a rocking chair but I do have a small couch/chair in my bedroom which I found very helpful to have somewhere comfortable to sit to feed my baby.

I like my free standing high chair. I like not having to "waste" a kitchen chair on a small high chair. Mine also can be attached to a chair if you want. And it has a booster seat.

I ended up with a bouncer because my baby was very kvetchy and unhappy and we needed to try something. We got a small, cheap one.

I don't nurse or pump so can't share on that.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:59 pm
The only thing from your list I got ( for baby# 4) is a rocking chair, so glad I did. & also a changing table topper on my dresser. Both of those combined saved my back & make life so much more comfy!

I live on 3 floors & don't feel the need for a monitor but I guess it depends on the layout & how hard it is for you to run up & down.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:04 am
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
After seeing how insanely delayed my sweet nephew is I cannot shout enough to get rid of the baby seats! The swings, bumbos and bouncers. That baby was kept in his seat all day long and didn't move his entire first year.

That's more an issue that he was never taken out, than an issue of having the item. We have swing and seat. Great place to put my baby sometimes, but we also take her out plenty and do tummy time plenty. But I wouldn't trade in my swing or seat for the world

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:06 am

Or just do the normal thing and use them for a short time each day like recommended. It doesn't have to be keeping a baby in them 24/7 or not have them at all.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:11 am
The recommended time is 20 minutes. Do people really keep to that?

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:13 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Or just do the normal thing and use them for a short time each day like recommended. It doesn't have to be keeping a baby in them 24/7 or not have them at all.

Yup, that's what I do.

Babies like being held and babies in our culture don't always have multiple humans around to take turns holding them. Babywearing is one solution, seats are another. I don't keep my babies in the seats for very long at a time though. I'm very into free movement.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:14 am
The recommended time is 20 minutes. Do people really keep to that?

Actually yes, I think I do. Something like that.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:14 am
I don't strongly recommend any of the above specifically.

But if you notice that the lack of any of those (or any other baby item) is causing you stress, I very highly recommend getting one.

I needed a baby monitor for a few months for one of my kids. It since has ended up in the garbage because it wasn't useful for anyone else. But I do not regret getting it at all because that "wasted" thirty dollars saved me three months of sanity.

I also had an Exersaucer for one of my kids. It disappeared somewhere in the interim years and I never needed another one. Any kind of baby "holder" tends to work for some kids, some of the time. For now I just make do without, but if it was making me crazy I'd totally buy another bouncer/seat/bumbo/etc.

Personally I prefer a booster-type high chair and mostly keep it on the floor. Mess can't go so far if baby doesn't have the added altitude! I almost never spoonfeed my kids so there's no reason to have them at a regular height except at Shabbos meals.

I found that diaper pails tend to get way more smelly than a small garbage can emptied regularly, so that's what we're doing for now. (5 gallon trash can holds a day or two of diapers and the smell doesn't build up that fast.)

A lot of times I end up wanting to sit cross legged while nursing so that my legs can help support baby. A couch works better than a rocking chair for me, but if you tend to nurse seated or use a Boppy you might really benefit from a rocker or glider.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi experienced Imas,

Thank you!

rocking chair

Portacrib, mobile that also sings and makes white noise, little basket at the corner of the crib for daipers, wipes, saline, mylicon, pacis....
Boppy/donut pillow. (Colic reflux babies) you can put them into it in their own crib or if its safe (wide enough bed/ bed by the wall) on your bed for newborn to sleep in next to your head.
Swing
Little portable vibrating seat
Glider/rocking chair
Stroller and car seat and wheels for car seat (doona/snap'n'go/stroller adapter clip) and arch toy that I switch between the car seat and stroller.
Monitor. Especially if you live in a bigger house or on multiple levels. Make sure the range is good.
As newborns they need sound and movement more. When they get older they need more interactive toys.

My 10 week old started reaching and grabbing at the stroller arch toy today. Absolutely insanely cute!
A jumper that's hung from the door frame, a walker. And I push and ride bike.
High chair
Bumbo seat. Thats Good for the floor. Can also be used to strap to a regular chair as a booster/high chair. I used it mostly outdoors in the summer.

I used to have a for mat, after 3 kids (+I had borrowed it too in between) it got yucky. So this I need to buy.
Step2 pushbike for walks around the neighborhood when they get a bit older and don't like sitting in the stroller for walks anymore.
And an exersaucer.

Imo, you don't need a diaper genie unless you have multiples. I had one it was a pain. I have it away.
I just bought the scented tiny nappy bags. It wrap it in two and it was good to go in the regular trash. It anyways gets emptied out every day at least once.

My nursing pump is 9 years old. It works. Good enough for me. I don't pump often. If you do, and it doesn't suit your needs and you can afford maybe upgrade.

For me personally, these toys/gadgets make a huge difference. My babies are colic newborns, needy babies, and very very active toddlers.
So anything to make it easier is huge.

With my first 2, I did not have room nor money for ANY extras. We lived in a miniature 1 bedroom apt.
I'm not sure how I survived. Those years were really really difficult. Looking back it was a mistake not moving earlier. It really effected me and my children.

With my 3rd we had moved to a house. It was a huge game changer. I keep switching the baby from one position to the next.... I get to drink a coffee and eat in peace. Its AMAZING. Lol.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:23 am
I'm not seeing how a baby monitor isn't a necessity now that you live in a home with 3 floors. If you're downstairs, how will you hear the baby cry upstairs? Unless you plan to never be on a different floor than the sleeping baby

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:30 am

We used all those seats and bouncers and my babies crawl at 5 months....

The only thing I can say NOT so buy is the original bumbo seat. (We got the booster bumbo with the insert. This are ok.)
The original bumbo seat is VERY bady for babies hips. Google bumbo seat and hip dysplasia. Even if your child is in it for short periods of time, if they are predisposed it can cause issues. (You don't want to find out if they were predisposed....)

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 12:51 am

Agree. I have a niece whose struggling with mobility likely for not being on the floor enough.

I do think those “containers” are helpful, but should be used only when necessary (baby won’t settle, mom needs to shower)

Baby monitor is a game changer. Serious peace of mind.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics