Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
New City - can you clarify?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 4:56 pm
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
I’m also looking into it now. Can you describe the shuls in your area?

There are a few shuls. One is more yeahivish. One is a shteebel. Super warm. One is a balabatish working crowd super nice ppl. Great rav.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 5:00 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
There are a few shuls. One is more yeahivish. One is a shteebel. Super warm. One is a balabatish working crowd super nice ppl. Great rav.

Sorry to bother again. But we are actively looking and this is really helpful- is the shteebel active? Like are there shiurim/ ppl learning there or just minyan on shabbos type?

Who’s the rav of the shul?

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 5:04 pm
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:
How are houses size? Are they bilevel, regular or ranch style?

Peek at Zillow.com to get a feel for the styles available. If you need a real estate agent, I highly recommend Rachel Baruchov. She is very talented at what she does. I've used her a few times, myself.

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 5:08 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Narishkeit for you doesn't mean narishkeit for all of us, your posts on those topics are disrespectful at best & make women like me feel unwelcome here.

I'm sorry you feel negatively. I feel unwelcome by much of the community because I've stepped outside those social rules that make no sense from a Torah perspective. I've been treated as a pariah, as if I've turned my back on Hashem. I haven't, and I won't. I love Hashem.

And I'm sure you do as well. You do what works for you, and if something hurts you, I'm sure everyone here will be here to support you. You're absolutely welcome here, by me and by everyone else here, I'm sure.

We all care for each other, even when we disagree about proper ways to "practice."

Going to stop derailing OP's thread now, but I couldn't let you feel that I'm ignoring your pain. I don't want you to be in pain. You are appreciated, for you.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 5:35 pm
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
Sorry to bother again. But we are actively looking and this is really helpful- is the shteebel active? Like are there shiurim/ ppl learning there or just minyan on shabbos type?

Who’s the rav of the shul?

Shteebel is more shabbos davening. I believe they also have daily shacharis. Lots of ppl go to both shuls. There are many shiurim between all the shuls. Not sure if ppl learn there.
It's a very nice warm community. Rav if shul is rabbi Avi Kahan.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 6:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Looking into New City. Can anyone tell me what type of crowd lives there? We’re frum, not chassidish, don’t watch movies/tv, filtered internet, wear stockings, husband doesn’t wear jeans, but not “yeshivish” per se. are there other families like that? Where do the kids in the area go to school? What shuls do ppl go to? Need to make a speedy decision so we’d love all the feedback!.

Hi OP
I recently moved to new city- but to a new part where frum people just started moving in this year, it’s the streets along north little tor road (a 2 minute drive from all the frum people in the buena vista area of new city).
The way you described your family sounds just like mine. We would love to have you come join our neighborhood! Our shul is just starting up, we don’t have a rav yet but the families are a range of more modern to more yeshivish, kids are in all of the different monsey schools.
We are getting an eruv this summer too

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 7:17 pm
Hi, I live in new city too.
It’s a lovely community. Many families are just like you describe. There’s a mix of yehsivish and JPF. The area by north little tor is not yeshivish and has a shul without a rav.
The shteebl is technically chassidish, but more heimish feel and mixed crowd. My DH davens there in the morning and we’re JPF.
The other main shul has a rav (rabbi Kahan). He’s very well known and has a Bais din in Monsey. That shul is more balabatish and not as warm.

I love the community. Since we moved here, about 3 years ago, we’ve been invited out for meals too many times to count.

I’m happy to answer any specific questions you have.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 7:29 pm
There are 3 shuls: shteebel, wagon wheel and kenarik.
Shteebl and wagon wheel were mentioned. Kenarik is more yehsivish.
Many people send to YSV. Others to bas mikrah or chofetz chaim. Like mentioned earlier, some to Bais Rochel (although not a lot).

Unless you’d be moving to Red Rock, which is a long street with many frum families, a bit more yehsivish and they have their own shul, but I don’t know anything about it. This street is quite a walk from the other area discussed, but close drive.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 7:36 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
Hi OP
I recently moved to new city- but to a new part where frum people just started moving in this year, it’s the streets along north little tor road (a 2 minute drive from all the frum people in the buena vista area of new city).
The way you described your family sounds just like mine. We would love to have you come join our neighborhood! Our shul is just starting up, we don’t have a rav yet but the families are a range of more modern to more yeshivish, kids are in all of the different monsey schools.
We are getting an eruv this summer too

Hi can you please name one of the cross roads near this up and coming part off n little tor rd? Seems to be a long street. Thanks

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 7:59 pm
Is new city where rabbi moldavers yeshiva is?
He is yeshivish

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 8:56 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
Is new city where rabbi moldavers yeshiva is?
He is yeshivish

Yes. And those affiliated with the yeshiva are the ones that are yeshivish in the area.
But it’s a fraction of the population.

Our neighborhood chat has about 150 women and the yeshivish ones aren’t on it (they don’t have smartphones).

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 9:48 pm
You should call Shaindy Moore, she lives in the area for ages and she’s a realtor, she probably sells most of the houses in the area. (845) 608-0538

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 10:23 pm
Op, I know exactly 1 family in New City, and they're exactly what you're describing.
I however do know that plenty Ashar families live there too. I guess it depends on the areas?

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 11:25 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Hi can you please name one of the cross roads near this up and coming part off n little tor rd? Seems to be a long street. Thanks

Frum families have been moving into all the streets off North Little Tor between Philips Hill Road and South Mountain Road- to name a few of the streets- pleasant hill, ardsley, woodglen, roberts, quarry etc.

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 10:02 am
I am following this with interest. I have family in Rockland County and wasn't aware of the growth in New City. It always struck me as mostly a secular population so this is very interesting! I know there is a Chabad in New City but didn't have a sense beyond that of the frum population.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 12:36 pm
Where do the chassidim live

Not_in_my_town

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 12:57 pm
Can we not say "the" chasidim? Or "the" yeshivish? Or "the" anything. "The" blacks. "The" Spanish. "The" Jews.
It makes a group of people the other. "Them."

Answer to question deleted because I had second thoughts about posting where the most heavily concentrated areas of frum Jews is. I got the funny feeling that posting such info on the open internet is a bad, dangerous idea.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 1:47 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Where do the chassidim live

The chassidish part of new city is the hillcrest area. The streets around west Clarkstown road, such as Amherst

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 2:13 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
The chassidish part of new city is the hillcrest area. The streets around west Clarkstown road, such as Amherst

Oh wow! Is that Spring Valley? Or definitely New City? I might be confusing locations....

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 2:56 pm
BrachaBatya wrote:
Oh wow! Is that Spring Valley? Or definitely New City? I might be confusing locations....

It’s close to the border of spring valley and new city
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating