Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Question for the RNs around here.....:)
1  2  3  Next

LO

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 1:36 pm
Hi,

I'm very interested in going into nursing (currently in law and don't like it), but am slightly scared of the whole 12-hour shift thing. Could you share what type of setting you work in, and how you consolidate that with your family sit.?

Also, any other tips/suggestions/comments about being a frum woman in the field would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

ss321

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 1:45 pm
Disclaimer: I'm not a nurse but I work with alot of them (I'm in medical school). So take my advice for what its worth as an "outsider" in the healthcare field.

Nursing is much more versatile than you make it sound! Sure in school you'll have to do grueling 12 hr shifts (ahhhh....to me 12 hrs sounds like a vacation of a shift when I compare it to my sometimes 36 hr long shifts!!!), but nursing is a field that is in high demand, and you can find a job to fit your lifestyle. You can work part-time or per diem, you can work in a school, you can work in a clinic or doctors office, there are so many options that give you much more flexibility than that. you might not make as much, you might not get the best insurance plan, but nursing is, IMO, a great field for a frum woman!!
maybe PM chavamom, shes a nurse who REALLY knows her stuff.

crbc

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 2:12 pm
I am working 8-4 M-F in a clinic-like setting. Smile

chavamom

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 3:29 pm
ss321 wrote:
nursing is, IMO, a great field for a frum woman!!
maybe PM chavamom, shes a nurse who REALLY knows her stuff.

TY ss321. And I agree, I think nursing is a great job for a frum woman. There is such a variety of settings, hours, opportunities for advancement, advance practice, decent salary, often very good benefits....need I say more? I have worked in a variety of settings. There are some great things about 12 hour shifts. You can work full-time and only work 3 days a week! I'll be honest, it is often hard to get hired for hospital work right out of school if you want to work less than full-time, though I do know women who did get hired PT. It really depends on the area. Areas where there is less "medical" training involved - say psyche, post-partum - are often willing to hire new grads part-time. Any area with high acuity, like ICU, telemetry or specialty skills like L&D generally requires new grads work full-time for a year. Part-time can be a great option if you don't need a full-time salary, b/c then you can work one or two days a week, still get benefits, still bring in decent money.... I also work/have worked agency and per diem, which pays more but offers no benefits.

So the answer to your question of "how did I consolidate that with my family life" - it's been different things at different times. At one point when my dh was out of the house during the day and I had more small kids, I worked nights and had a nanny during the day while I slept (Jewish lady from Russia, had the same women for 8 years. I was glad to "pass her on" to a young lawyer in the frum community). I've only worked days for a while now, but my dh is home more and can pick up the slack when I work. I'm going back to work soon and am working part-time a combo of Sundays and one night a week with dh taking over the kids while I work or sleep.

I hope that answered your question. Please feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

chavamom

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 3:31 pm
Oh, I forgot to mention one of the other benefits of working in a hospital - they will often pay for your schooling, either when you are in school or pay back your loans, etc if you sign on with a certain commitment. I'm hoping to go back to school for advance practice in the next year or so, and they will pay for that too. In the meantime, there are some classes I can pick up at the affiliated nursing school for free!

chavamom

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 3:33 pm
Oh - I've also done school nursing and camp nursing as well! School nursing generally has good benefits if you get hired by the school district (I was only working on projects which I picked up as extra work, not the employee - I don't want to work every day). There is such a HUGE variety of settings.

RNqueen

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 3:22 am
Im a nurse and I love it! I hav worked in the ICU and Er for more than 8 yrs. School is only 2 yrs after the prerequs. I work night shift 7p-7a. I see my kids off to school in the morning, sleep when they are in school and wake up when they come home. I eat dinner with them and help them with their homework and then back to work.

My husband is a lawyer and hated it. He worked for 2 yrs and quit it. He just finished Nursing school and will start working with me in the ER next month!!

There are so many places to work you are bound to find your niche. From ICU, ER to OB and peds. Day shift night shift part or full time...its the most flexible

and now that there is a shortage, you can get a job almost anywhere in any state or country. You can travel or do local agency and make more money. You can also pretty much get all your school loans repaid upon your first job with an extra sign on bonus.

HooRYou

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 3:31 am
Can any of you tell us more about what the prereqs are and the nursing scholl courses themselves.

frumnurse

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 3:43 am
Every school has their own list of prereqs the community colleges have less prereqs than the BSN programs. Generally the courses are General Ed, math and sciences ( Anatomy and Physiology I and II, and Microbiology). The Associate programs usually will take a year for prereqs + 2 more years of nursing school, the BSN programs are generally 2 years of prereqs and 2 years nursing school. Keep in mind that one can speed up the process by yaking summer courses and some schoold will allow you to take the last few prereqs while you begin the nursing program.
Also the nursing schools I know do not have 12 hour shifts for nursing students - max would be 8-10 hours/ 2-3 times a week. On the job, 12 hour shifts are common- but there is so much to chose from.
I personally enjoy a flexable position that allows me to work 4, 8, or 12 hour shifts whenever I want.

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 6:07 am
Who do I contact if I'm interested? Which schools in Brooklyn/NY? How do I start? I have no college credits.

frumnurse

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 11:11 pm
I would recommend speaking to nurses in the area and finding out more about the available programs. I would love to give you more local nursing info, but I live out of town. I would recommend a community college since the program is shorter and your goal would be to complete it as soon as possible. That's what I did- I went back to school after teaching for a couple of years and then became a nurse. It was one of the best things I have ever done in my life. If this is something you think you would enjoy- then go for it. I know many moms of all ages who are changing careers or even starting a nursing career with kids.
Also please check out scholarships online. There is so much available b/c of the nursing shortage. I did not pay a penny for nursing school due to grants etc which I recieved. ( GPA above 3.0 in my prerequisite courses).

RNqueen

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 12:10 am
I started out in Beth Israel nursing school back in 1996. Its a 2 yr program and I was able to start right out of HS. I took alot of classes for credits in 12th grade to help me save time in college.\

I would suggest considering Kingsboro. its a 2 yrs program and as long as you pass school and the Nclex no job will care where you went to school.

I was never turned down for a job or asked to gibe my transcripts EVER! Lady

HooRYou

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 3:38 am
RNqueen wrote:
I started out in Beth Israel nursing school back in 1996. Its a 2 yr program and I was able to start right out of HS. I took alot of classes for credits in 12th grade to help me save time in college.\

I would suggest considering Kingsboro. its a 2 yrs program and as long as you pass school and the Nclex no job will care where you went to school.

I was never turned down for a job or asked to gibe my transcripts EVER! Lady

So does this mean that once you complete the course it doesn't matter if you learned at a community college vs having a BSN from a university?

chavamom

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 4:05 am
HooRYou wrote:

So does this mean that once you complete the course it doesn't matter if you learned at a community college vs having a BSN from a university?

It depends on what you want to do with it. Most hospital "floor nurse" jobs don't care one way or the other. And most hospitals will pay for you to complete your BSN.

Pizza

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 4:09 am
I got a BSN and was very glad that I did. (I even did it after having 3 kids. Waddled down the aisle with #4)

On the other hand, if you get a 2 year degree, you can always go back part time for the BSN. Maybe your employer will pay for it.
That said, the students in my program who were LPN's tried not to let the prof's know, as they would be judged based on higher expectations.

The 2 year programs give you a lot more clinical experience (youre more confident when you get a job) but less theory.

HooRYou

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 5:20 am
Thanks everyone here for all the info. Sometimes I think I want to go to nursing school, but I don't think I could ever do it here in Israel.

RNqueen

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 6:08 am
I would love the option of moving to Israel but I heard you must work shifts on shabbos and it pays so little you might as well just start a day care in your home and make more! Crying

Pizza

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 9:26 am
I have never practiced here (Israel) since it pays so poorly. Shame, b/c I enjoy it. Maybe when some kids are out of the house and the budget shrinks...? Doubtful.

I do find that my nursing education helps me out in other ways, tho - ppl like leaving their babies with me as a metapelet, and when my kids get sick or relatives need to go to the dr I am more on top of things...

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 9:48 am
Isnt there a frum nursingn school in Israel affiliated with laniado hospital?

mammala120

Post Sun, May 25 2008, 12:20 am
Pizza wrote:
I have never practiced here (Israel) since it pays so poorly. Shame, b/c I enjoy it. Maybe when some kids are out of the house and the budget shrinks...? Doubtful.

I do find that my nursing education helps me out in other ways, tho - ppl like leaving their babies with me as a metapelet, and when my kids get sick or relatives need to go to the dr I am more on top of things...

I agree with you. I have nursing degree BSN from 4 year graduated university in Brooklyn NY. I only worked for one full year in homecare adn loved it. however I chose to stay home only to be primary care takere for my kids since I could't find good/caring babysitter. I chose my famiy first. I do use my nursing knowledge alot and wihs to return to work in couple of years.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics