Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Question for the RNs around here.....:)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mama Bear

Post Sun, May 25 2008, 12:40 am
The Tessler Nursing School in natanya was written up in the Mishpacha this week.

yedidya's mom

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 2:04 pm
Im reviving this thread bec. Im considering nursing school now and have a few more questions.
I already have a BA so im trying to get into an accelerated BSN program. I was just wondering if someone could explain to me the practical difference between associate RN and BSN. I know that starting salaries are abt the same but what does it mean in terms of raises/promotions/advancement further down the line.
Also, is it realisitc to go into nursing w. a specific field in mind? I would really like to do L&D or post-partum and not just end up in a "random" hospital department. Is L&D hard to get into? Im in the NY area if that matters. Thanks!

yedidya's mom

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 9:51 pm
anyone? I could really use some info...or maybe just point me to a good website that answers some of these questions. Thanks

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 9:57 pm
Try certifying for an EMT first. You may love it. You can get a job in a school, day care, summer camp, etc. You can even work for female hatzola to avoid embarrassment to women in labor (my dream, seriously)

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:07 pm
yedidya's mom wrote:
Im reviving this thread bec. Im considering nursing school now and have a few more questions.
I already have a BA so im trying to get into an accelerated BSN program. I was just wondering if someone could explain to me the practical difference between associate RN and BSN. I know that starting salaries are abt the same but what does it mean in terms of raises/promotions/advancement further down the line.
Also, is it realisitc to go into nursing w. a specific field in mind? I would really like to do L&D or post-partum and not just end up in a "random" hospital department. Is L&D hard to get into? Im in the NY area if that matters. Thanks!

many hospitals in NY are pretty picky about BSNs. In terms of the actual program: the nursing courses are pretty much the same, although I have heard that the clinical component of many adn programs are superior. the rest of the bsn program components that don't exist in the adn are: more research courses, stats, and some science courses that the adn programs often let you shortcut through. there are many existent adn-msn programs. in my state you need to apply to both the undergrad & grad school separately to be admitted to the program, which is a big pain in the neck. many advancements/promotions require a bsn. sometimes they will work with you though. my assistent manager was promoted on condition that she start her bsn completion couse immediately when she was promoted to her new position. so it probably depends on the hospital. as for l &d. most times they like you to have a year's worth of med/surg before you are hired onto l & d. many inner city l &d departments or hospitals that are desperate will take new grads. honestly I did a year of med/surg first & it was invaluable. I had a lot of background that many senior RNs in my department didn't have. they got hysterical when they actually had to do something medical on l &d, b/c they never learned how. a graduate nurse is not a nurse, they learn on the the job. so if you only have certain experiences from nursing school, they will not be as helpful to you as they would be if you were trained in them. also if you have med/surg experience you are a better job candidate. hospitals sometimes let RNs go & if there are no l & d jobs available- you will not be hireable if you don't know how to do something else. med/surg is your foundation & will help you immensely professionally. that's jsut my 2 cents, sorry for rambling.

iriska_meller

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:20 pm
When I started school I thought I wanted to go into L&D. Then I did med-surg rotation and LOVED it. You tend to discover things about yourself in nursing school. I now work on a mostly geriatric neurology/medicine floor and love it.
To answer your question, in my hospital (NYU) thye do not hire new grads into L&D, but they do, and willingly, into mother-baby units.
I second what chaylizi said - doind a year of med-surg after school will open so many doors for you, it is really worth doing even if its not your first choice.

Unique

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:18 pm
Just wanted to add - I was also looking into the accelerated bsn programs since I had a bachelor's already in another field and at the end opted for an associates program instead (which I am currently in). After much research I realized that these accelerated programs are extremely intense, especially for a mother with many responsibilities, and mostly very costly (except for Downstate which I had heard is very hard to get into for intowners). As far as I know, all hospitals in the NY area hires RN's with associates except for NYU where you need a BSN. A big consideration for me is how the school staff atmosphere is towards the students and I heard so many negative things about certain accelerated programs that I opted for my current program which I had heard had a very caring staff -one that cares if you're passing or failing your courses - I think that is what makes your nursing school experience positive or negative. Of course, whatever you choose, you come out the same RN.

yedidya's mom

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:40 am
Thanks for all the advice
Im still going back and forth between Associate degree and accelerated BSN but it just seems to make sense to get the "better" degree if they will both take me the same amount of time. Thats why I wanted to understand the differences. As far as I can tell, there really only are 3 programs available here for accelerated- NYU which is a fortune, down state and stonybrook which is too far for me.
Unique, can I ask what school you are in? I was looking into beth israel for an associate RN. anyone gone there?
The appeal of the associate's degere is you can just start whereas for the bBSN id have to take at least 2 semesters of prereqs. at the end it comes out to the same 2 yrs though.
just thinking out loud. would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts if they have something to add.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:45 am
this is just my personal cheshbon when I decided to go with the adn. adn programs are often much easier to get into. the programs are much cheaper than bsn programs. their waiting lists are many times much shorter. you get a degree quicker & are out in the workforce that much sooner. after you have an RN, you can automatically get into most BSN completion programs. often you can do them online, which is a mechayah when you have a family. also once you have a job, the hospital you work for may pay for the rest of your education. some hospitals (like the one I worked in) actually have an agreement with a university & have an onsite program.

Unique

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 11:32 am
I second chayalizi. That's why after taking everything into consideration I am now in Beth Israel - I find them to be very accomodating and there are internal scholarships to help out with tuition. Even though I did the year of prereq's first, becausse I thought I'd go to Pace's accelerated program, I don't regret being in bi now. It gives me much more flexibility now. As for the accelerated bsn, there is also columbia - which I heard isn't good and is more $ than NYU, there is also Pace - less than NYU - about 40k but people I spoke to there that finished and currently is there hate it. If you have any q's about bi, I'll be glad to answer them.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 11:38 am
what about CUNY York? I just looked into their program. I'm at a SUNY school upstate, going for a BSN but may have to move back to the NYC area. I looked into Pace as well...I don't know what to do. Does anyone have experience with NYU? or CUNY york

chaylizi

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 11:40 am
I'm not a new yorker, but I heard beth israel is very accomodating to frum students. in my school, one of my teachers accused me of making up holidays.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 11:41 am
is beth israel an associates program? do they have an accelerated BSN or BSN program?

NativeMom

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 11:43 am
ok I should have read previous posts. So Beth israel is only an ASN?

Unique

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 11:45 am
Don't know about York - I only looked into schools that you can get to by train - but when I looked into NYU - I spoke with someone that just finished their program and it seems like the program is a decent one - the accelerated one - but if $$ is a concern, she said don't depend on getting scholarship's from them (it was 72k when I looked into it) - even if you're extremely smart - it's very hard to get.

Unique

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 11:47 am
Beth Israel is strictly a nursing school - ASN. They do have bridge programs with Pace, a I believe NYU also to get the bsn. You can actually take classes in PACE while in Beth Israel to get you closer to the bsn.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 11:51 am
what about financial aid?

chaylizi

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 11:52 am
yedidya's mom wrote:
but it just seems to make sense to get the "better" degree if they will both take me the same amount of time. Thats why I wanted to understand the differences.

regardless of the amount of time the program takes, you will still be paying per credit hour.personally, I would take the BSN if I was independently wealthy, unmarried & planning to stay that way for several years, childless & living with my parents. also if I was a genius & could absorb all the material I needed to learn instantly without getting stressed and if I was a hermit who needed no social life.

Unique

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 12:02 pm
LOL . When you go to any program, you're basically giving up any social life you have - even more so the accelerated one's. What chayalizi is saying is on the mark. whatever program you choose, just be very realistic to yourself - speak to people there beforehand to know what you're getting into cuz you don't want to start - and then see the program isn't working out for you. There is financial aid - if you are eligible for fafsa - that's great - but I am pretty certain you can's get Pell if it's a second degree - only TAP - which can cover some but you still have to shell out a lot. Loan's is the name of the game unless you get private scholarships.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 12:07 pm
I don't know about anyone else. my foundations of nursing course was 7 credits. I was finished with all my prerequisites before the program started, because I killed myself to take 30+ credits in 2 semesters. I thought I would be able to concentrate on this one course (that took up my entire week). I ended up getting engaged & had to plan a wedding in 6 weeks. it was kind of stressful.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics