Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Question for the RNs around here.....:)
Previous  1  2  3

Unique

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 12:19 pm
Same here. N101 was 7 credits (as is most) and that took up 3 days a week. Those students that didn't have the sciences taken care of were crazy busy.

yedidya's mom

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:51 pm
thanks for all the information. im finding this super helpful. but you guys are scaring me a bit abt the workload.
im married, expecting my third child and def. not independently wealthy. am I crazy to think I can do an accelerated program. my thinking was sort of full time babysitter for one yr and just get it DONE vs. shlepping it out over 2-3 yrs. how may hours a week of class/clinicals are the programs usually?
also my last question is how long the bridge programs are- from associated to BSN. Can you do this while already working? anyone gone to any of the CUNYs for associated degree? Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to pick your collective brains Very Happy

chaylizi

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:56 pm
many people take the bridge programs when they are already working. I am also expecting my 3rd kid & I am not working now & I feel swamped (I'm also anemic- that may be it). I'm planning on going back to work, but definitely not full time. I wouldn't do an accelerated anything program at this point in my life. I've even looked into the accelerated adn-msn programs. I can't do it. that doesn't mean you shouldn't, but you have to know what you are capable of going into it and make a decision based on your knowledge of yourself.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 10:21 pm
Yedidya's mom, I'm in the same shoes as you now. I have a degree and am looking into a full time program for ASN/BSN next year. I have all the pre-req's save for the sciences which I am taking this year. I'm in kingsborough now taking A & P 1, and will take chemistry, A & P2, microbiology and anthropology. (Also an intro to sociology CLEP - but that's in my own time). That covers all the pre-req's for any program I may want to go to next year. BTW, Bulka's Seminary offers a BSN through Adelphi for ppl like us, call them, they are very helpful and it's a little less concentrated than Downstate. They also offer the pre-req's. Ask for Rabbi Levy. I looked into Pace, ppl said they are disorganized. And NYU and Columbia are a fortune plus the travel time is very long. That's s/t imp to consider, as it may take up an additional 2 hrs of your long day, what w. studying and all. I had my heart set on Downstate but after reading this thread I'm having second thoughts... I figure like you, school is school so get it over w/ asap but now I'm thinking maybe I'll just do an ASN.

DH is in Touro's nursing school, starting from scratch. He likes it, feels like they are very into helping you and all. He likes the convenience of locality also, and of course the jewish calendar year which is invaluable - no school on Chol Hamoed, no finals on erev pesach... It isn't cheap (abt 40K altogether) but like others said, hopefully once he starts working we'll get help paying off the loans.

The good thing abt getting a BSN is that u can go to a MSN school right away. I would like to eventually bec. a midwife so that's imp for me. As for pay, I think they pay you just 1 or 2 $ more an hr if you have a BSN. You would probably also get preferentiality (is that a word?) as a candidate for a job.

BTW, I am expecting #2 IYH very shortly so I undrstand doing it w/ a family and all. It makes me nervous, to say the least...

Let me know what else you hear, maybe we'll go to school tog.! Oh and I heard that Kingsborough's nursing program is tough and they are out to get you. Ditto for Beth Israel ( u have to maintain a 3.7 GPA). There's also LICH which is sposed to be easy.

Unique

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 2:46 pm
okay - here's my two cents - you have to know what you're capable of and it's imp to ask someone there to get a feel what the schedule's like. I nixed going to Touro and Reb Bulka cuz they are new programs and I wanted s/t established with their accredidations in place. They are also pricey. I am very happy with Beth Israel - they are not out to get you at all (maybe I can hear that abt the A&P prof. but she's very good). Everyone in the school knows eachother - and the staff knows you by first name. I don't think you get that in a big campus where nursing is just one of the majors. On the other hand, if you really want to aim for the bsn - there's no reason why not - if you can manage the $$ and schedule. As someone mentioned, in the ASN programs, clinicals are very heavy - I think even more so than BSN's which are more theory / research classes. It shouldn't take more than a year going from ASN to BSN if you already have a BA. By pace you can bridge straight from the ASN to MA if you already have an existing BA (I'm pretty sure of this). BTW, I found in Beth Israel they were very accomodating when I was expecting my ds - and they gave me choices how I want to continue when I give birth. You can PM me if you want more info about Beth Israe. Good luck with all your decisions.

yedidya's mom

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 10:52 pm
Thanks to everyone for all their replies. now I have a lot to digest. if I were to start it wouldnt be till next september at which pt the baby would (beshaah tovah) be 8 months already...just wanted to know all my options so I could think it through and then start the application process.
BusyBee, good luck w. everything and feel free to PM me to discuss further

BusyBeeMommy

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 1:46 pm
Just wanted to mention that Reb Bulka is through Adelphi, which is not a new program.

Touro is new (this is their 4th year) and it was a compromise but it's good to hear that you're having a good experience in BI, Unique. I'm taking the science now so maybe I will consider their program. I would love to finish ASAP though, and I know w/ them it will take at least 2 years even though I will have all of the pre-reqs. Is that correct?

Unique

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 5:29 pm
What I meant about Reb. Bulka was that their program is new - even though it's through Adelphi. And I believe although it was advertised as a 1-year program - at the end that's not what it boils down to. For me - going to an established program was important. My opinion is to look into the program (whichever you choose) to know what it will be like. Each nursing school has their own way of doing things and it's good to know beforehand. BI does take two years because its a sequence of several nursing classes that must be taken in order.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics