Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Help an introvert mom with chatterbox kids!
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 4:31 pm
Just another week until school starts.
I think I can, I think I can…

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 5:48 pm
I'm smiling through these posts!!!

This is meeeeee!!!! Me me meeee!!!

they follow me around the house and continue talking through the bathroom door!

Even Dh. I've had times I was twilighting on and off and he was talking talking talking throughout.

I always joke with the "so to make a short story looong " LOL

Hilarious and draining to be an introvert in an extroverted world.

I use to visit a friend as a kid and her mom used to walk around with headphones, it was odd... But I'm kind of liking the idea, lol

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 6:06 pm
Growing up I remember in the evenings from 8-9pm my best friends mother was unavailable. She would be in her room and would not come out unless it was an emergency.

I remember when I slept over thinking it was soooo weird but as an adult I get it now. If something was super important her husband came out of the room.

Can you implement something like that? Even for half an hour?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 6:10 pm
Get them someone else to talk to😊 dh is always talking but usually to someone else! When my little chatterboxes have friends they just chatter away together.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 8:16 pm
Wow love this thread . Never thought Of myself as an introvert but relate so much to the auditory overwhelm . Especially now with someone or other home at all times !!! No long stretches of quiet !!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 5:11 pm
Tonight I was treated to:

A discourse on all of the Paw Patrol characters and their functions

A 15-minute excruciatingly detailed overview of how the alarm clock works (no, it’s not a fancy one and it only has like four buttons)

A half-hour monologue over the phone courtesy of my dorming teenager (hey, at least he wants to talk to me!)

And an exhaustive review of office politics among my husband’s employees.

Now I’m hiding LOL TMI
G-d please grant me patience for winter break!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 8:13 pm
Good luck OP!

Suggestion about the ‘through the bathroom door’ talkers: I tell my kids that when they talk to me while I’m in the bathroom, it makes me take longer. That’s the one verbal response I give when I’m in the bathroom.

Since I won’t respond to them when I’m in there, they’re generally anxiously waiting for me to come out again 😂 A few nice minutes of quiet!

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 8:27 pm
OMG I never knew this was a real thing! I sometimes wonder WHAT I was thinking in marrying chatterbox DH, didn't I realize that I will have a bunch of little clones and it would become literally physically painful? This is the time when I seriously wonder about the wisdom of my shidduch.... and honestly DH is a wonderful husband but its JUST TOO MUCH!
This is why I run to ima, to escape the auditory overload in blessed, peaceful quiet in my room. And I left dd telling an empty room why her book that she was reading right before bedtime is so scary, and why she can't fall asleep.... and ds is still hoping to tell me all the jokes that he thought of today, and they are a lot. And of course DH is still waiting to tell me all the politics of the day, every person he met and what he said to them....

The bright side of all this is I guess life is never boring.

Thank you for starting this thread OP. It's nice to feel validated.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 2:47 pm
I only have one chatterbox, kudos to you for handling a whole bunch!

I have taught DD about extroverts and introverts. That some people need more social interaction and some people need more time alone. That some people want to be with others a lot and some people need a lot of space. And that even if people are different than us and we don't understand their needs, we can respect their needs and try to find a balance together. I talk to her about this only when I am not feeling overwhelmed by her talking, we just have regular discussions about it when it isn't an issue. And sometimes we come up with scenarios and guess how various extroverts and introverts would behave or react or respond. After doing this for a while, she gets it. So now when she is very talkative and I am overwhelmed, I tell her "at the end of this story your are telling or in x minutes), I am going to need some quiet time or some space or some time to myself". She doesn't take it personally because she understands that I am an introvert (though she has told me that she doesn't understand why I would want to just be alone in the quiet LOL ), and she can respect my needs. So I let her finish whatever she is in the middle of so she doesn't feel bad that I am cutting her off, and I can handle it because I know I am about to get my time alone.

Also, sometimes both my husband and dd can't stop talking to me, I leave and they both ocme after me! And I look at them and say "you both seem liek you really want to talk, why don't you talk to each other?" I think it is brilliant, but how come they don't Wink

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 1:38 pm
I just read through this thread again. Very sorely needed right now. I’m pregnant bH, my girls are home all day for another week and a half (3 weeks total!) and when they finally go to bed my oldest comes home from yeshiva and wants to shmooze, and then DH wants to shmooze too!! I never get a second alone. Any and all chizuk appreciated Banging head

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 1:44 pm
I'm an extrovert but I get overstimulated easily. I so get you. I hide sometimes too.

Can't wait till the kids start Gan and school again...

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 2:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I just read through this thread again. Very sorely needed right now. I’m pregnant bH, my girls are home all day for another week and a half (3 weeks total!) and when they finally go to bed my oldest comes home from yeshiva and wants to shmooze, and then DH wants to shmooze too!! I never get a second alone. Any and all chizuk appreciated Banging head

I have this all year round and can’t handle this schedule. I’m so depleted by the time the yeshiva boys get home! I feel so sorry for them but very often I can’t shmooze with them more than a few sentences! I wish they’d come home earlier in the day!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 3:58 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
I have this all year round and can’t handle this schedule. I’m so depleted by the time the yeshiva boys get home! I feel so sorry for them but very often I can’t shmooze with them more than a few sentences! I wish they’d come home earlier in the day!

It’s rough! My son dorms during the week but he hasn’t started yet, and he calls to shmooze anyway Wink

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 4:01 pm
Bathroom breaks are my refuge and coffee before they wake up helps

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 4:35 pm
amother Dill wrote:
Bathroom breaks are my refuge and coffee before they wake up helps

I’d love coffee before they wake up. Trouble is, they’re up pretty early. Sometimes I get 15 minutes of quiet between sending off my oldest (he leaves at 6:30, and no I’m not getting up before 6) and my little one waking up.

Once we get back into school routine it’s infinitely easier. But right now, when I literally have zero time alone, it’s hard. Between the back to school prep, out of whack schedule, keeping high energy kids entertained, and attempting to work… it’s nonstop sensory overload! And to top it all off my husband is in middle of crazy season at work and all he wants to do is vent when he’s actually around. I feel bad for him but also bad for me!

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 4:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’d love coffee before they wake up. Trouble is, they’re up pretty early. Sometimes I get 15 minutes of quiet between sending off my oldest (he leaves at 6:30, and no I’m not getting up before 6) and my little one waking up.

Once we get back into school routine it’s infinitely easier. But right now, when I literally have zero time alone, it’s hard. Between the back to school prep, out of whack schedule, keeping high energy kids entertained, and attempting to work… it’s nonstop sensory overload! And to top it all off my husband is in middle of crazy season at work and all he wants to do is vent when he’s actually around. I feel bad for him but also bad for me!

We're all in this together the weeks between camp and school can't wait to get back to routine

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 4:49 pm
amother Dill wrote:
We're all in this together the weeks between camp and school can't wait to get back to routine

You’re right. Feels good to vent though.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:28 pm
Omg! Just the post I needed today! Can we have a little support group?
This is literally my life; me an absolute introvert living with 4 extroverted kids and 1extroverted dh. This week is really really testing me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics