Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Succos makes me sad

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 10:55 am
All these posts about going to Israel this summer and going to Israel for Succos makes me sad.

File this under First World Problems, but it makes me sad that the only people who can be oleh regel are really really rich people. I want so badly to go, and I want so badly to take my children to Israel for succos. It's just not affordable, ever.

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 10:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
All these posts about going to Israel this summer and going to Israel for Succos makes me sad.

File this under First World Problems, but it makes me sad that the only people who can be oleh regel are really really rich people. I want so badly to go, and I want so badly to take my children to Israel for succos. It's just not affordable, ever.

It's not this romantic image of being oleh regel. Its a fashion contest and a money contest and a popularity contest. With a few exceptions, the people who I ate by and met the sukkos I was in Israel for sem were just not pleasant people to be around.
You can be 'oleh regel' in your own sukkah in your own backyard. Its about your attitude, not your location.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 11:05 am
I've had this dream of going to Israel for years. But it's unaffordable. I chose the most affordable time of the year to go, and we're working and saving up towards that. Bh we almost reached our goal. Just DH and me, without the kids.
To me, flying with kids and being in Israel during peak packed season, seems like a nightmare. I don't have family there where we can stay at.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 12:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I've never been. And I just missed a simcha.
Try to channel your pain to something good. Think about people in pain who used it in wonderful and wondrous ways, like the Bochners.
Do something for yourself. Try to find some fun experiences for you, and for you and your family.
good luck!

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 12:47 pm
Also a lot of people are going this summer who aren't rich. It's not my business. But some are using points. Some had their flights subsidized by others. Maybe some saved up. Or got their flights a half a year ago when prices might have been better idk

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 1:10 pm
Believe me, I'm not rich. But I have the inestimable honour of living in Jerusalem, so I can get on an Egged bus and go to the Kotel whenever I want to. It only costs about six shekel, at any time of year. Whatever you want to say about living here,that is one advantage that can't be denied. Even though we're still waiting for the opportunity to be really oleh regal in it's full sense.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 7:18 pm
Is it considered being "oleh regel" now without the bais hamikdash?

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 7:30 pm
I feel for you, OP. I have an intense yearning to go to Israel, not just for sukkos but anytime. I haven't been since sem and it's been well over a decade. Unfortunately, I'm not able to afford going either. Forget about taking the family...And for those saying that other ppl go on points or whatever, the ticket is not the only expense, particularly if one doesnt have family to stay with.

Iyh moshiach should come speedily and we will all be Oleg regel to the bais hamikdash the way Hashem intended, this sukkos!

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 8:15 pm
amother [ Yarrow ] wrote:
It's not this romantic image of being oleh regel. Its a fashion contest and a money contest and a popularity contest. With a few exceptions, the people who I ate by and met the sukkos I was in Israel for sem were just not pleasant people to be around.
You can be 'oleh regel' in your own sukkah in your own backyard. Its about your attitude, not your location.

I respectfully disagree.
Maybe it's community dependent... but going with spouse and kids totally does not need to be a fashion contest or a money, popularity contest. It can be the most beautiful uplifting experience. On the contrary, here in town many feel the need to fit in with family and neighbors and when you go you go on vacation mode and don't really care what others think. I can totally see why op would want the amazing experience.

I do agree with you that succos can be really special wherever you are!

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 5:49 am
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
Forget about taking the family...And for those saying that other ppl go on points or whatever, the ticket is not the only expense, particularly if one doesnt have family to stay with.

Yes. Absolutely. But had a I won an auction I would have tried to go anyway. Even with the extra expenses and lost wages.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 5:50 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:

I do agree with you that succos can be really special wherever you are!

As withe every moment of our lives.
OP, this resonates with me but since I'm posting under my sn I'm not going to get personal. Hugs!

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 5:58 am
Ok I bite, what’s oleh regel?

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 6:40 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Ok I bite, what’s oleh regel?

It was when one went up to the Beit HaMikdash on the Shalosh Regalim (Pesach, Shavuot and Sukkot) to bring the Korban Pesach, or Bikurim. These were the three times when the entire nation was commanded to go up to Yerushalayim.

Obviously we are not able to fully fulfill this nowadays. We can go to Yerushalayim, but there is no Beit HaMikdash and no korbanot. We cannot serve Hashem as we are commanded to on the Regalim.

במהרה בימינו.

amother
Burntblack

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 6:45 am
My cousin has been saving up points for years and is going in august with 4 kids so 6 free tickets. Staying in an apartment for 3 weeks about $80 a night so cheaper than hotel. If u put everything on one credit card including tuition u accumulate a lot of points. Buying yogurts bread etc not eating out tons

SG18

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 7:19 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Believe me, I'm not rich. But I have the inestimable honour of living in Jerusalem, so I can get on an Egged bus and go to the Kotel whenever I want to. It only costs about six shekel, at any time of year. Whatever you want to say about living here,that is one advantage that can't be denied. Even though we're still waiting for the opportunity to be really oleh regal in it's full sense.

I made Aliyah right before the chagim last year, and have had the honor of being oleh regel twice. Even though I live over 2 hours from Jerusalem now, in an area that has a lower cost of living, we made an effort to go on Pesach, as well. I'm so grateful for having the opportunity.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics