Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken Fricassee with Mustard and Marjoram

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 2:23 pm
This was very good and very simple.

Fricassee as a cooking term always confuses me because my paternal grandmother made what I think was a very traditional Ashkenazi dish which she called Chicken Fricassee. My father said she Ade it when he was a child and she had immigrated from Eastern Europe so her "fancy" dishes were all traditional Eastern European. However I have see lots of Fricassee chicken recipes with no meatballs but just a braise style.

At any rate this was good and simple and made with basic pantry ingredients. I used all chicken breasts because I don't like to mix chicken parts since they cook at separate temperatures.

Chicken Fricassee with Mustard and Marjoram

Excerpt From: Jeanne Kelley - Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes

Everyone loves this classic fricassee from the Dijon region of France—it’s got just the right amount of kick in the mustard-flavored sauce. I like to marinate the chicken in the mustard to boost the mustard flavor of the dish, but you can skip that step if you’re short on time. I serve this with oven-fried French fries or rice. A simple salad of baby frisée and a glass of red Burgundy complete the dinner beautifully.

YIELD: 4 SERVINGS

8 generous tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram
1 (3½-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
Salt and pepper
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth

Stir 2 tablespoons of the mustard, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and 1½ tablespoons of the marjoram together in a large bowl. Add the chicken pieces, season with salt, and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or as long as overnight.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy, large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pot and sprinkle with pepper. Cook until the chicken is well browned on all sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Add the onion to the pot and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine, broth, and remaining 6 tablespoons of mustard and 1½ tablespoon marjoram, and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pot. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.

Transfer the chicken to a serving dish. Boil the liquid in the pot until it has thickened to sauce consistency, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour over the chicken.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey