Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bnos derech yisroel
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:25 am
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
When you all say leggings you mean under a skirt or leggings as pants with nothing over it?

Leggings without a skirts over it or with a mini skirt or oversized sweatshirt over it. That's not even acceptable in many non chassidish circles.

amother
Freesia

First of all, many girls who wear leggings forgo socks and some skin is showing around their ankles. You can say that that area doesn’t need to be covered but many say it does.

More importantly, leggings are often worn as a way to get away with wearing a skirt that is shorter than would typically be worn without leggings. Many married women (with hair covered) are walking around Monsey these days with leggings on and skirts at or above their knees.

First Lady

Not_in_my_town wrote:
Not okay according to whom? According to society's rules. Not according to Hashem.

Someone who is covering their legs with leggings under a skirt is 100% tznuis, though she may be out of synch with the community.

That was my point.

To say that a girl is not tznuis when she is covered is to ignore the mitzvah she is doing.

It is still a mitzvah, even if you don't like the way she covers.

Society has made dress code rules. That doesn't mean that someone who is outside of the dress code is outside of tznuis.

That was my point. And I know, it's a hard concept to wrap one's mind around when they haven't been used to thinking this way, but it's sound.

People are commenting from a community pov, not from a Tznius perspective. You and I, and hopefully most other people, know that leggings cover just like tights. But from a Chassidish perspective, leggings are just not an acceptable dress code.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:27 am
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
I hear you. I personally don't have family there but I have some very very close friends that send there, really wonderful people, typical neutral Chassidish, Tznius, refined, Erliche families and I feel like people need to be careful with information on this place as there are wonderful Chassidish families with wonderful girls there.

Of course there are typical erlich chassidish families in that school. But the non typical outweigh the typical and the typical chassidish girls are exposed to alot. All girls in the school can be wonderful girls, even if they're not mainstream chassidish.

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:28 am
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
I disagree completely. First of all, many girls who wear leggings forgo socks and some skin is showing around their ankles. You can say that that area doesn’t need to be covered but many say it does.

More importantly, leggings are often worn as a way to get away with wearing a skirt that is shorter than would typically be worn without leggings. Many married women (with hair covered) are walking around Monsey these days with leggings on and skirts at or above their knees.

So your issue is not with the leggings, it is with the knees that are uncovered and the feet that are uncovered.

And should someone be careful to cover those areas, would you consider her not tznuis?

I wouldn't. Because the leggings are not the issue. The issue is WHY she is wearing leggings. If it is because she feels it is less tnuizdig and she is doing it for that reason, that's a problem.

But if someone wants to be tznuis and put leggings on because they are comfortable, and they are covered, what's the issue?

The leggings are not the issue.

Last edited by Not_in_my_town on Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

First Lady

amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
Leggings without a skirts over it or with a mini skirt or oversized sweatshirt over it. That's not even acceptable in many non chassidish circles.

I have a very very hard time believing that girls come to school like that. I am actually going to call someone tomorrow who is employed in the school to find out if this is true.

amother
Nemesia

Yeah that’s not acceptable in the majority of frum circles.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:30 am
Of course there are typical erlich chassidish families in that school. But the non typical outweigh the typical and the typical chassidish girls are exposed to alot. All girls in the school can be wonderful girls, even if they're not mainstream chassidish.

I am specifically talking about mainstream Chassidish girls. And for their sake, please be careful with what you put out on a public forum like this one. Thank you.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:32 am
I am specifically talking about mainstream Chassidish girls. And for their sake, please be careful with what you put out on a public forum like this one. Thank you.

I don't think hiding the truth does any potential parents any favors. The poster wants to send there, she deserves honest information.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:32 am
First Lady wrote:
I have a very very hard time believing that girls come to school like that. I am actually going to call someone tomorrow who is employed in the school to find out if this is true.

Nobody comes to school with leggings and no skirt on top. I can tell you that without making a phone call. Not sure where this is coming from.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:33 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:
So your issue is not with the leggings, it is with the knees that are uncovered and the feet that are uncovered.

And should someone be careful to cover those areas, would you consider her not tznuis?

I wouldn't. Because the leggings are not the issue. The issue is WHY she is wearing leggings. If it is because she feels it is less tnuizdig and she is doing it for that reason, that's a problem.

But if someone wants to be tznuis and put leggings on because they are comfortable, and they are covered, what's the issue?

The leggings are not the issue.

I know nothing about the school in question. I can tell you that, again, when I see Frum women or girls in leggings, more often than not their knees and/or ankles are not properly covered.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:33 am
First Lady wrote:

No, they don't come to school like that! They wear uniform! I said that girls dress like that when there's NO school.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:34 am
Nobody comes to school with leggings and no skirt on top. I can tell you that without making a phone call. Not sure where this is coming from.

Exactly. I said that girls dress like that when there's no school. In school they wear uniform.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:34 am
I don't think hiding the truth does any potential parents any favors. The poster wants to send there, she deserves honest information.

So post the information you know while making sure you're fair to the mainstream Chassidish families there. Nobody said giving information is easy. It's a balancing act.

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:35 am
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
I know nothing about the school in question. I can tell you that, again, when I see Frum women or girls in leggings, more often than not their knees and/or ankles are not properly covered.

Again, the problem is with the person, not the leggings.

It's so important to put things into their proper place. That's all.

G'night y'all.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:35 am
I agree that you should give honest information but atleast half the things ppl are saying here ate not TRUE!
what do you people have by exaggerating or lying?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:40 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Again, the problem is with the person, not the leggings.

It's so important to put things into their proper place. That's all.

G'night y'all.

Right. So the school put a no leggings rule in place because girls are wearing leggings in an untznius way.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:41 am
amother [ Darkblue ] wrote:
I agree that you should give honest information but atleast half the things ppl are saying here ate not TRUE!
what do you people have by exaggerating or lying?

What's not true?

First Lady

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:41 am
No, they don't come to school like that! They wear uniform! I said that girls dress like that when there's NO school.

Sorry, I misread.
I still believe that it must be a tiny percentage. I've never heard about this and I know quite a few people that send there.

dragonfruit

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:49 am
Attention all MONSEY moms here sending to NORMAL chasidish school; you can only get into a chasidish school if you don't have internet access (smartphone tablet computer...) so I guess your lying starts there. You lied about not having internet to get in, but somehow you are actively on imamother!
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics