Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
I sleep trained but baby still wakes at 530am to eat.
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:25 pm
ek22 wrote:
My daughter is now 6.5 months and I sleep trained her using the 12 hours of sleep by 12 weeks old method. She now sleeps 745 pm until 7AM, if she wakes up before 7 I give her the paci and she goes back to sleep or plays in her crib until its time to eat, if she sleeps past 7 I don't wake her. We faces a simular issue with her eating very early in the morning when she was about 4 months but according to the book that is the last step in sleep training, you need to start pushing her morning feed later and later by 15 minute interval every 3 days or so.
This does not mean you are ignoring your babies needs and hunger, it simply means you are feeding her everything her body needs during the day hours instead of night hours (just like adults do) You just have to make sure she's eating enough during the 12-13 hours that she does eat. I've heard its about 2.5 ounces per pound in a 24 hour period, so divide that by the amount of feedings she has (typically 4) though it may vary depending on if its breastmilk or formula and gender of the baby.
Obviously there are exceptions and when my baby doesn't have a big appetite and doesn't finish her bottle before she goes to bed then anticipate her needing her morning feed before 7 AM the next morning.

This is very painful to read. That book is so outdated. Do your research.
Having a baby wait 12 hours for food is cruel.
Please don’t ever follow the advice in that book.
Your baby isnt a robot. I feel so sorry for your baby:(

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:27 pm
ek22 wrote:
My daughter is now 6.5 months and I sleep trained her using the 12 hours of sleep by 12 weeks old method. She now sleeps 745 pm until 7AM, if she wakes up before 7 I give her the paci and she goes back to sleep or plays in her crib until its time to eat, if she sleeps past 7 I don't wake her. We faces a simular issue with her eating very early in the morning when she was about 4 months but according to the book that is the last step in sleep training, you need to start pushing her morning feed later and later by 15 minute interval every 3 days or so.
This does not mean you are ignoring your babies needs and hunger, it simply means you are feeding her everything her body needs during the day hours instead of night hours (just like adults do) You just have to make sure she's eating enough during the 12-13 hours that she does eat. I've heard its about 2.5 ounces per pound in a 24 hour period, so divide that by the amount of feedings she has (typically 4) though it may vary depending on if its breastmilk or formula and gender of the baby.
Obviously there are exceptions and when my baby doesn't have a big appetite and doesn't finish her bottle before she goes to bed then anticipate her needing her morning feed before 7 AM the next morning.

You only feed your baby 4 times a day? I’m in pain from this post. Poor baby! Please tell me that that’s not what you meant.

lovecouches

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:28 pm
I guess I need to be "trained" I get hungry at lunchtime even if I ate a late breakfast. It is very normal for all humans to get hungry at a mealtime even if they ate recently. The stomach secretes more of the hunger hormone (forgot the name of it) at a mealtime. I think 7:30-5 is long enough for a baby not to eat.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:29 pm
ek22 wrote:

Babies are NOT adults that are supposed to do things "just like adults do". Babies bodies work differently and they need to eat at night. Not feeding a 3 month old for 12 hours is cruel and torture. Babies generally need nighttime feeds till around a year old.

Lilac1859

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:32 pm
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
This is very painful to read. That book is so outdated. Do your research.
Having a baby wait 12 hours for food is cruel.
Please don’t ever follow the advice in that book.
Your baby isnt a robot. I feel so sorry for your baby:(

Yes I have done my research and have many people including my pediatrician are behind me.
My baby was born small and is now in the 73rd percentile, proving that she is being fed just fine.
My baby is not a robot and neither am I, I eat between the hour of 8 AM and 8 PM.
thank you for calling my parenting cruel, especially on a day like shiva asar btamuz

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:35 pm
ek22 wrote:
Yes I have done my research and have many people including my pediatrician are behind me.
My baby was born small and is now in the 73rd percentile, proving that she is being fed just fine.
My baby is not a robot and neither am I, I eat between the hour of 8 AM and 8 PM.
thank you for calling my parenting cruel, especially on a day like shiva asar btamuz

I am really only saying this with the best of intentions because we care about your baby. I’m sure you don’t mean it but withholding food from a baby that young is cruel. Please feed your baby more then 4 times a day. 6.5 months old is still so little. When your baby wakes up in the morning feed them. Do you ever get thirsty at night? Maybe she is thirsty and she is for sure hungry. Please do this for your baby.

Lilac1859

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:36 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Babies are NOT adults that are supposed to do things "just like adults do". Babies bodies work differently and they need to eat at night. Not feeding a 3 month old for 12 hours is cruel and torture. Babies generally need nighttime feeds till around a year old.

There are many methods of sleep training for babies below one year. the fact that they grow and develop just like babies with night time feeds proves it is unnecessary as long as they can handle big feeds through out the day.
If you chose to wake up with your baby at night until they are past 1 that's up to you, maybe this thread is not for you as this mother chose to her sleep train her baby, parenting is individual and just because you don't agree with someone's method of parenting doe not mean its cruel or torture or abusive or absurd. I won't call you crazy for waking up with a one year old to give them milk.
(and many people have 2 babies one and under and it is not feasible to be waking up with two babies on different schedules)

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:37 pm
ek22 wrote:
There are many methods of sleep training for babies below one year. the fact that they grow and develop just like babies with night time feeds proves it is unnecessary as long as they can handle big feeds through out the day.
If you chose to wake up with your baby at night until they are past 1 that's up to you, maybe this thread is not for you as this mother chose to her sleep train her baby, parenting is individual and just because you don't agree with someone's method of parenting doe not mean its cruel or torture or abusive or absurd. I won't call you crazy for waking up with a one year old to give them milk.
(and many people have 2 babies one and under and it is not feasible to be waking up with two babies on different schedules)

Oy! So painful to read. Please rethink your methods. I feel so sorry for your baby.
Edited to add, it’s also unhealthy to stuff a baby during the day. Let a baby eat a normal amount during the day and at night. She is a baby still. This is so outdated and not in sync with a babies physical and emotional needs.

Lilac1859

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:42 pm
I am really only saying this with the best of intentions because we care about your baby. I’m sure you don’t mean it but withholding food from a baby that young is cruel. Please feed your baby more then 4 times a day. 6.5 months old is still so little. When your baby wakes up in the morning feed them. Do you ever get thirsty at night? Maybe she is thirsty and she is for sure hungry. Please do this for your baby.

Thank you for your kind intentions though at the end of day every mother can decide what is best for their child. I don't think any pediatricians would be licensed to work if they were backing up abusive parenting methods. My daughter doubled her birth weight by 4 months, the goal is for babies to double their birth weights by 6 months, many don't.
my DH has 8 ounces every 4 hours and solid foods in between, instead of eating 4 ounces every 3 hours. she is in the 73rd percentile and is surpassing all her milestones.
I can read my babies cues and understand when she is hungry or thirsty. If she wakes up early and doesn't go right back to sleep I understand she is hungry and will gladly feed her. Naturally sleep patterns involve waking up in the night, sometimes consciously and sometimes not. Babies are the same way and will wake up in the night, sticking a bottle in their mouths every time they make a sound at night is not necessary.

Lilac1859

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:48 pm
Oy! So painful to read. Please rethink your methods. I feel so sorry for your baby.
Edited to add, it’s also unhealthy to stuff a baby during the day. Let a baby eat a normal amount during the day and at night. She is a baby still. This is so outdated and not in sync with a babies physical and emotional needs.

My baby eats a normal amount as per her Dr. If it was not a sync with her needs then she would not be growing at the rate she is or hitting her milestones. you have no research to back up her comments and are coming from a purely emotional place insinuating that I don't love and want the best for my child. I appreciate your concern but there is no reason to be sorry for my baby, only for me because I am shocked and hurt by these comments.
I understand sleep training is a controversial topic so I will leave the thread now.
We can all decide to parent the way we see fit and shalom al yisroel.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:51 pm
ek22 wrote:
Thank you for your kind intentions though at the end of day every mother can decide what is best for their child. I don't think any pediatricians would be licensed to work if they were backing up abusive parenting methods. My daughter doubled her birth weight by 4 months, the goal is for babies to double their birth weights by 6 months, many don't.
my DH has 8 ounces every 4 hours and solid foods in between, instead of eating 4 ounces every 3 hours. she is in the 73rd percentile and is surpassing all her milestones.
I can read my babies cues and understand when she is hungry or thirsty. If she wakes up early and doesn't go right back to sleep I understand she is hungry and will gladly feed her. Naturally sleep patterns involve waking up in the night, sometimes consciously and sometimes not. Babies are the same way and will wake up in the night, sticking a bottle in their mouths every time they make a sound at night is not necessary.

It’s much better for babies to eat every 3 hours vs every four. If your giving food in between offer some formula or maybe water if your pediatrician allows as she will get thirsty when eating the food. I’m happy to hear you feed your baby when she wakes!

Please open your mind and do more research as what your following is a method from many years ago and really isn’t current. We know much more about babies needs currently and we don’t need to follow outdated methods that really are harmful to our babies. Much nachas from your baby!

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:54 pm
ek22 wrote:
My baby eats a normal amount as per her Dr. If it was not a sync with her needs then she would not be growing at the rate she is or hitting her milestones. you have no research to back up her comments and are coming from a purely emotional place insinuating that I don't love and want the best for my child. I appreciate your concern but there is no reason to be sorry for my baby, only for me because I am shocked and hurt by these comments.
I understand sleep training is a controversial topic so I will leave the thread now.
We can all decide to parent the way we see fit and shalom al yisroel.

It makes sense you feel attacked but realize we just care about your baby. Instead of feeling defensive please rethink your methods. There is lots of easily accessible research out there. It’s great your baby is doing well!

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:55 pm
I agree with you, ek22.
It’s a different personality. I need to be on a schedule with my baby and I work on my babies schedules from birth, practically.
My first was sleeping 12 hrs by 8 weeks. My second took until 6 months, because she wasn’t gaining well.
Yes, babies do get hungry, but you can train their brains to get hungry at times that are more convenient.
OP, babies sometimes start their day at 6 am. It’s annoying, but it’s within the realm of normal, not something you can work on. 5:30 am sounds like you’re almost there!!! I’m not a cruel and horrible parent, but when my baby was consistently waking up at 5:30, I sat next to her and rocked her back to sleep and didn’t feed her until 6 am. It wasn’t easy, but after a week, her brain learned to sleep until 6.
I don’t think you should let your baby scream from 5:30-6, but sit next to her and rock her, calm her, try to put her back to sleep. Maybe for a few days do it until 5:45, and then bump it up to 6. It’s not cruel. Babies need sleep and parents need to help them get on normal schedules.
To everyone else, it’s a personality thing. I know many moms are happy to nurse whenever their baby is crying. I’m not. I only feed when I suspect my baby is hungry (2-3 hours after the last feed). I was never the type of mom who sleeps with baby in bed and nurses the entire night.
If what you’re doing works for you, that’s great! No need to shame others who you can’t understand.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:57 pm
Sleep training (at least in my understanding) means that you train them to fall asleep on their own.

It shouldn't mean that they can't ever eat when they're hungry! I've never heard of any 5 month old going without food for 12 hours, even for those who are very into training and routines.

(I'm still nursing my 8 month old every three hours in the night. I can see he's hungry. Though if you're giving bottles then it makes sense they take a longer stretch. But not 12 hours, and definitely not at such a young age.)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 1:01 pm
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
I agree with you, ek22.
It’s a different personality. I need to be on a schedule with my baby and I work on my babies schedules from birth, practically.
My first was sleeping 12 hrs by 8 weeks. My second took until 6 months, because she wasn’t gaining well.
Yes, babies do get hungry, but you can train their brains to get hungry at times that are more convenient.
OP, babies sometimes start their day at 6 am. It’s annoying, but it’s within the realm of normal, not something you can work on. 5:30 am sounds like you’re almost there!!! I’m not a cruel and horrible parent, but when my baby was consistently waking up at 5:30, I sat next to her and rocked her back to sleep and didn’t feed her until 6 am. It wasn’t easy, but after a week, her brain learned to sleep until 6.
I don’t think you should let your baby scream from 5:30-6, but sit next to her and rock her, calm her, try to put her back to sleep. Maybe for a few days do it until 5:45, and then bump it up to 6. It’s not cruel. Babies need sleep and parents need to help them get on normal schedules.
To everyone else, it’s a personality thing. I know many moms are happy to nurse whenever their baby is crying. I’m not. I only feed when I suspect my baby is hungry (2-3 hours after the last feed). I was never the type of mom who sleeps with baby in bed and nurses the entire night.
If what you’re doing works for you, that’s great! No need to shame others who you can’t understand.

Sorry you should not be 'training their brains to only get hungy at convenient times'. That's not age appropriate for a baby at all.

You can try and train them to have longer stretches, but at 5 months, trying to push off feeding them after 9 hours is definitely wrong.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 1:07 pm
***I am kidding. Please do not do/think this or be triggered!!!***

Why are you feeling your DD more that the bare minimum 3x per day. She is a girl. Do you want her to get fat??? Think of shidduchim. Do not feed her extra.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 1:08 pm
The originally poster included this in her question: please try to answer the questions and not to attack me for sleep training. if you don't believe in it just skip this thread. TY!

if you are here to be helpful and answer the question go ahead, if you are here to argue and try to convince people that babies can not go a whole night without food then ignore her request and continue doing what you are doing.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 1:10 pm
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
The originally poster included this in her question: please try to answer the questions and not to attack me for sleep training. if you don't believe in it just skip this thread. TY!

if you are here to be helpful and answer the question go ahead, if you are here to argue and try to convince people that babies can not go a whole night without food then ignore her request and continue doing what you are doing.

She asked what to do if baby wakes to eat.

So everyone is answering --- feed her, she's hungry.

That isn't an attack.

Making sure your baby has adequate food has nothing to do with believing in sleep training or not.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 1:12 pm
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
I agree with you, ek22.

I understand how it was really difficult for you and it sounds like your babies are older now. You sound like a great mom and this isn’t meant to put you down at all.This is just to be helpful to people in this stage moving forward. For anyone reading this though, please don’t do this. Babies should never be trained from birth. A newborn needs to be eating around the clock. It’s painful to “train” a baby to only scream at 6 versus 5:30 when they are hungry. Babies are little people. Do your research! There is so much accessible information for us moms that helps us nurture our babies emotional and physical health the way that we should.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 1:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
in the beginning of sleep training when baby woke after 5 I fed her and assumed eventually she'd get up later but that never happened.
Does a baby need to eat that early? Should I just be ok with it? will she train herself to sleep a bit later? or do I need to sleep train her again for this part of the "night"?

please try to answer the questions and not to attack me for sleep training. if you don't believe in it just skip this thread. TY!

You can't force her to skip meals.
Sleep training means you've taught her not to disturb you at night, and to fall back asleep regardless of what she needs, AT NIGHT.
She will still need her early-morning feeding. There's no way around that.
The good news is that most babies don't want to wake up at 5:30a.m., they'd rather eat and fall back asleep.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics