Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Bal Tashchis vs. excessive clutter and leftovers

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 12:19 am
In general I am the type who dislikes having to deal with clutter and would rather get rid of things that I know I'm not going to use. My DH, on the other hand, doesn't like the idea of throwing away something that is "perfectly good" even if it isn't (such as stained childrens clothing, etc) because he thinks of it as bal taschis.

To what extent must one go to avoid bal tashchis when getting rid of things? Do I have to list everything on freecycle or craigslist, or can I just save mt time and throw it out?

We also have the same issue with food. I will want to throw out food that is too old, but DH will insist that it is perfectly good and we shouldn't waste it. And he will also put back an empty bottle of ketchup, saying that there is still a tiny bit stuck to the bottom, etc. Is it really a problem to throw such things away?

What do you think?

Crayon210

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 12:33 am
In terms of non-food items, find an organization to give the stuff away to. Put stuff in boxes, just have the organization pick it up or drop it off by them.

I don't know the halachos, but I think there's also an inyan of wasting time. If it takes you five minutes to get three drops of ketchup out of the bottle, you've wasted very precious time, which may be more important than the ketchup.

mugsisme

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 11:53 am
We have the Vets that come by every few weeks to pick up stuff. They send a bag in the mail. As I clear clutter, I put the stuff in a bag (and store it somewhere out of site). The night before they come, just put it on your porch.

You may have something like that near you, or a Good Will drop off box? I used to keep the stuff in my trunk and drop it off on the way to pick up my kids from school (until they moved the drop location).

Freecycle and Craigslist are good, but there is some work involved. Try and find a way that has the least amount of work involved and you will be more willing to do it.

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 5:26 pm
I hate clutter too and throw almost everything out. I don't know the laws of baal tashchis w/ the stuff, but if you're not using it anyway, isn't it still baal tashchis? Nobody is getting use from it anyway.
As for the ketchup bottle, use it for cooking. Add a little water and mix and squeeze. LOL No more leftover.

red sea

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 5:32 pm
I guess your dh is right in that recycling is more in tune with not wasting. Stained clothing that noone will ever want recycles into rags well, saves on paper towels for the saving $ on food thread Thumbs Up . Every time we have guests from other countries they always comment on how wasteful Americans are, they just couldn't dispose of everythng like that. But I dont think you can rationalize a clutter and junk filled house as a mitzvah, its not, its prob the opposite.

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 6:37 pm
red sea wrote:
I guess your dh is right in that recycling is more in tune with not wasting. Stained clothing that noone will ever want recycles into rags well, saves on paper towels for the saving $ on food thread Thumbs Up . Every time we have guests from other countries they always comment on how wasteful Americans are, they just couldn't dispose of everythng like that. But I dont think you can rationalize a clutter and junk filled house as a mitzvah, its not, its prob the opposite.

OP here

But a person only needs so many rags. So what do you with the rest of the clothes. My MIL has tons of rags from old clothes (way more than she could possibly need), so I guess my DH takes after her.

Besides, I think that paper towels are more sanitary anyway.

montrealmommy

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 7:59 pm
my dh is similar although he doesn't always say it's l'shem baal taschis. What we've agreed upon is:

- If it would be improper/disrespectful to give it away to a charity - then the garbage gets it. If somehow we can salvage it for a household use, we do - but we don't look for uses for things. Example, an old stained shirt became an art smock or playing in the dirt shirt. A ratty skirt was sown with a ratty top and became a house robe (for cleaning, etc...)

- When it comes to food - if the food is still safe to eat, then we try to find a way to use/eat it (ex. above idea of adding some boiling water, shaking and using). I keep leftover veggies and throw them all into a big soup when my container gets full. If food is not safe (and I determine what may or maynot be safe) - then it goes in the garbage (sorry, we don't compost)

We reuse as much as we can but don'[t make oursleves crazy. We live in a modeerate sized apt. with too much stuff as it is, we don't need to add to that!

red sea

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 8:11 pm
amother wrote:
red sea wrote:

OP here

But a person only needs so many rags. So what do you with the rest of the clothes. My MIL has tons of rags from old clothes (way more than she could possibly need), so I guess my DH takes after her.

Besides, I think that paper towels are more sanitary anyway.

I was totally just coming up with an idea to explain but I have heard of places you can donate unwearable stuff that recycle old clothing into other stuff. I am sure you can google ways & places to recycle rather than just dumping stuff in the trash the easier way.

Stuff that you put on craigslist or freecycle is almost easier to put curbside with a taped on note that its yours for the taking.

The food thing I really wouldnt risk food poisoning, but if your dh will risk it, why not? and the ketchup bottle sounds like a which way to squeeze the toothpaste issue, so let him be the ketchup bottle disposer, when you think its empty open a new one and he'll know the old one is his to use up and dispose of.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions