Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Special needs child fractured foot in camp

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 8:33 pm
So my adorable 9 year old child with special needs went to sleep away camp , she slipped and hurt her foot. She went with some staff to ahava medical center in liberty, NY.
Officially she has a fractured tibia. They put a cast on. I trust the camp and their medical staff, but I finally obtained my child's report from the medical center, and the radiologist wrote, "no fracture ". I can't really read the x rays but it does seem that I see a Crack. Can it be that radiologist and doctors disagree? Does someone here know anything about what x rays are supposed to look like? Her pediatrician is also confused on what she is seeing....
Is there an orthopedist that would look at the x-rays without seeing the my child?

naomi2

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 9:30 pm
Call ahava medical and ask to speak to the doctor directly or have him call you back. Then you can discuss with him

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 9:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So my adorable 9 year old child with special needs went to sleep away camp , she slipped and hurt her foot. She went with some staff to ahava medical center in liberty, NY.
Officially she has a fractured tibia. They put a cast on. I trust the camp and their medical staff, but I finally obtained my child's report from the medical center, and the radiologist wrote, "no fracture ". I can't really read the x rays but it does seem that I see a Crack. Can it be that radiologist and doctors disagree? Does someone here know anything about what x rays are supposed to look like? Her pediatrician is also confused on what she is seeing....
Is there an orthopedist that would look at the x-rays without seeing the my child?

The x-rays do not tell you the whole story. Ask them to do an MRI to make sure there are no serious damages then take it from there.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 8:35 am
Ahava medical center is pretty incompetent. I recommend picking up your child and taking them for a second opinion. (I work at a camp and from experience, would not trust most of the medical care in the Catskills)

OBnursemom

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 9:52 am
Bring the films to another orthopedist and ask for a second opinion. If they won’t look at the films, you may have to bring her. But call and ask first explaining the circumstances.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 10:08 am
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
Ahava medical center is pretty incompetent. I recommend picking up your child and taking them for a second opinion. (I work at a camp and from experience, would not trust most of the medical care in the Catskills)
Absolutely agree. Make an appointment with an orthopedist you trust and pick her up for the day. Fractures can turn into a huge headache or worse if they're not treated properly. And if it's not actually a fracture it's a shame if she's being over treated.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 10:13 am
The only way to know would be to call an orthopedist and see if they would look at the X-rays for you.
Also, why don’t you call Ahava to speak to the radiologist, maybe they can clarify what’s going on.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 12:22 pm
I agree ahaha medical is incompetent. My son had been treated there years ago with a broken finger and even with speaking with the doctor there. It wasn’t set right snd his finger doesn’t look right. It’s crooked and should have been moved and set in place at the time. Please go to a competent doctor. Dr Tepler is highly recommended.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 12:24 pm
Definitely follow up with a competent orthopedist, it doesn't make a difference if it's a competent urgent care center or an incompetent one. Fractures need to be followed up on with an orthopedist. Bhatzlocha!

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 12:58 pm
maybe it wasn't broken through and through thats why it said no fracture (just guessing) When my daugher broke her foot we had it casted right away (not in the best place) and went to a good doctor a week later for continued care. It's hard to tell right away with all the swelling what is going on but after a week they can make a better treatment plan.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 1:46 pm
Take him asap to a good orthopedist. He will most likely want new x-rays.
I broke my tibia when I was a teenager , it's not so simple. The fibula can also keep the tibula from healing.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 1:50 pm
I don't have any personal knowledge of your facility.

However, more than one doctor's office have said that many urgent care places have their x-rays read by a radiologist overseas (in order to save on their costs). This does not compare with a doctor who is seeing the patient in person and also looking at the x-ray. A couple of my adult kids were given the wrong "walking cast" etc. and later had to pay out of pocket for the correct item after seeing another doctor.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 1:59 pm
What orthopedist here in Brooklyn are good for these type of things?
Someone mentioned templer. Is that dr Melvin templer. Isn't he also in ahava medical on Nostrand Avenue?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 2:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Refuah shleima to your DD.

IMNSHO, I would contact her pediatrician, and ask for a referral to an orthopedist. Then ask the orthopedist about reviewing the x-rays and/or bringing your child in. In your place, I would want her to be seen in person, to make sure everything is OK, particularly given the difference of opinion. But I am a worrywart. Last summer, a friend did pick up her son under similar circumstances, and there was no fracture. He definitely had a better summer as a result.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 2:20 pm
Which sleepaway camp is for 9 year olds? That’s so young.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 3:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What orthopedist here in Brooklyn are good for these type of things?
Someone mentioned templer. Is that dr Melvin templer. Isn't he also in ahava medical on Nostrand Avenue?

Yes. He is excellent and is now affiliated with Ahava on Nostrand.

But I would not recommend Ahava in Liberty.

To the poster who asked about a nine-year-old in camp, that is a pretty standard age for a special needs child in camp.

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 4:06 pm
I once had a radiologist at an urgent care maintain there was no sign of fracture on the xray.
that was Shabos night.
On Monday I got a call that it was a small fracture. B"h we saw an orthopedic on Sunday took his own xrays and said it was a fracture.
hatzlocha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)