Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
S/O: leaving early on Friday
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 2:28 pm
If you work late on Friday or you work on chol hamoed, did you ask a sheila before accepting the job? Because l'halacha, it is assur to work Friday after chatzos and on chol hamoed.
I was in that position, and I eventually gave up my job. And it was for a frum boss who wouldn't budge.
I was wondering what other's in this situation do.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 2:38 pm
FYI there are varying opinions as to what time a person must stop working, and what constitutes work. Each person should consult their own halachic authority.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 2:39 pm
I never never learned either of these thing. (MO if that matters) BH I have a job that I can support my family. I can’t imagine a job that you only work on Friday till noon. Perhaps at a heimish office but I wouldn’t be able to be paid what heimish offices pay

amother
Seablue

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 2:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you work late on Friday or you work on chol hamoed, did you ask a sheila before accepting the job? Because l'halacha, it is assur to work Friday after chatzos and on chol hamoed.
I was in that position, and I eventually gave up my job. And it was for a frum boss who wouldn't budge.

That's super extreme. I doubt it's applicable in our days

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 2:47 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I never never learned either of these thing. (MO if that matters) BH I have a job that I can support my family. I can’t imagine a job that you only work on Friday till noon. Perhaps at a heimish office but I wouldn’t be able to be paid what heimish offices pay

Right. So maybe in this case, it is allowed. But it's a halachic sheila. It may also depend on the job.
Working on chol hamoed is worse than working Friday after chatzos.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 2:49 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
That's super extreme. I doubt it's applicable in our days

Why wouldn't it be applicable? I was told that we can only work on chol hamoed l'tzorech yom tov. When DH worked in the food industry, he worked on chol hamoed.

tryinghard

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 2:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right. So maybe in this case, it is allowed. But it's a halachic sheila. It may also depend on the job.
Working on chol hamoed is worse than working Friday after chatzos.

Yes, and even so, there are circumstances under which one may or may not do so, and people ask their own shailas. Hefsed merubah is a serious concept.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 2:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Lots of very frum men and women have worked for NY Board of Ed (including some very chashuva women) and I'm sure they clarified that it's ok.

And btw my husband actually spoke to R Dovid Feinstein tzl about working chol hamoad.

I'm going to say this because this is the tenth thread I've seen opened this week posting halachic psaks - halachah is NOT black and white and it is often a different answer depending on the circumstances. And that goes ACROSS the board.

I think it is in extremely bad taste, not to mention completely wrong, to post your idea of halachos online like this. You're not a Rav, you cant pasken. Just stop.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 2:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was wondering what other's in this situation do.

Did you ask a Rav before you gave up your job?

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 3:01 pm
Not sure why everyone is pouncing on OP but it's a valid question. My husband and I are both lucky enough to finish work before chatzos on Friday but my father works for the federal government and he asked a Shaalah and was told he's allowed to work Friday afternoon and Chol Hamoed. They are complex and nuanced halachos and one should definitely ask a Rav about them.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 3:06 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Lots of very frum men and women have worked for NY Board of Ed (including some very chashuva women) and I'm sure they clarified that it's ok.

And btw my husband actually spoke to R Dovid Feinstein tzl about working chol hamoad.

I'm going to say this because this is the tenth thread I've seen opened this week posting halachic psaks - halachah is NOT black and white and it is often a different answer depending on the circumstances. And that goes ACROSS the board.

I think it is in extremely bad taste, not to mention completely wrong, to post your idea of halachos online like this. You're not a Rav, you cant pasken. Just stop.

I am not paskening for anyone! And I did not post a p'sak.
I was in the situation and asked a question what other's in the situation do. That's it. I'm sorry you're so upset, I did not mean to upset anyone.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 3:07 pm
Literally every halachic forum says that if you're obligated to work on Chol Hamoed or lose your job, you can work.

You must live in Lakewood or somewhere, where the rest of the world is Jewish and perfectly understand only working 165 days a year, but the rest of us have jobs in the actual world.

Also, if working pays my kids tuition, that's l'tzorech. How much tuition are YOU paying, after you left your job?

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 3:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am not paskening for anyone! I was in the situation and asked a question what other's in the situation do. That's it.

In your OP you said its ASSUR to work Friday after chatzos and chol hamoad. The correct terminology is - it's a SHAYLA, you should ask someone knowledgeable. Completely different sentence with completely different connotations.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 3:09 pm
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
Literally every halachic forum says that if you're obligated to work on Chol Hamoed or lose your job, you can work.

You must live in Lakewood or somewhere, where the rest of the world is Jewish and perfectly understand only working 165 days a year, but the rest of us have jobs in the actual world.

Also, if working pays my kids tuition, that's l'tzorech. How much tuition are YOU paying, after you left your job?

I asked the question in a respectful manner and I appreciate respectful replies.
I was wondering what others in the situation do. I don't think my question deserves such rude answers.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 3:09 pm
This reminds me of people who ask (or don’t ask) Shailas about birth control. For those who don’t ask (like me) the thinking is: and if you say no, then what? Are you going to raise my child? If a rabbi said I Can’t work after chatzos, where does that leave me? Who pays my bills

As I said my husband and I never heard of this concept but now that I have it hardly matters. BH my job keeps us afloat. Leaving the field in which I have a masters degree and have spent 20 years working isn’t an option.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 3:10 pm
In your OP you said its ASSUR to work Friday after chatzos and chol hamoad. The correct terminology is - it's a SHAYLA, you should ask someone knowledgeable. Completely different sentence with completely different connotations.

Halacha is that it's assur. If someone has to work on chol hamoed or after chatzos, they should ask a sheila. There are nuances within every Halacha.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 3:12 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Did you ask a Rav before you gave up your job?

Yes, I discussed it with my Rav. And based on my situation, I was advised to give up my job.
(I didn't get paid much & it wasn't difficult to find another job. It's not a specialty job or something with a degree. It was just a frum guy wanting me to do his work so he shouldn't have to come in on Fridays at all.)

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 3:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Halacha is that it's assur. If someone has to work on chol hamoed or after chatzos, they should ask a sheila. There are nuances within every Halacha.

How do you know it's assur? Do you have a source? Is it perhaps not as black and white as you're making it sound?

I refuse to believe that all the THOUSANDS of very frum people who worked for the NY Board of Ed over the years were completely oblivious to halachah. It just makes no sense.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 3:14 pm
How do you know it's assur? Do you have a source? Is it perhaps not as black and white as you're making it sound?

I refuse to believe that all the THOUSANDS of very frum people who worked for the NY Board of Ed over the years were completely oblivious to halachah. It just makes no sense.

Yes, people are oblivious. Someone mentioned upthread that they never heard about this Halacha.
And I'm sure 1000's of people have asked a sheila about this.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 3:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I asked the question in a respectful manner and I appreciate respectful replies.
I was wondering what others in the situation do. I don't think my question deserves such rude answers.

I did not find your OP respectful at all.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note